The Watches Thread

Pete_

Re: The Watches Thread

Post by Pete_ »

mik wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:28 am Can’t post a link as it’s a protected tweet, but I find myself rather very jealous of this! :evil: :ugeek: 8-) 8-) 8-)

That's very cool!

On the Bel Canto - I knew it was limited but didn't realize it was as few as 300, that's ridiculous! I guess they know they can't charge more for a Christopher Ward at retail so are hoping by limiting production it will sell for more on the secondary market and increase the brand status even more.
mik

Post by mik »

Pete_ wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:53 am
On the Bel Canto - I knew it was limited but didn't realize it was as few as 300, that's ridiculous!
]
I know they’ve been stung in the pat with Ltd Edits that didn’t sell, Sinai guess they were cautious of ending up with a pile of expensive machined bits.

It’ll annoy the current buyers, but I hope they bring out another with a design/colour change to tap into the demand.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

saw something the other day about a Rolex Explorer 2 that was only available to SAS soldiers

very cool, but you couldn't really wear one IMO, unless you were an SAS soldier yourself - or had a legitimate connection to one (father/brother etc)

or you'd be like those idiots who claim to be SEALs and get called out by real Navy SEALs

it would be like buying and wearing a medal that someone else had been awarded...

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

It's only a bloody watch.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It’s all the pretend divers with their dive watches that gets me 😂
How about not having a sig at all?
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:38 pm It’s all the pretend divers with their dive watches that gets me 😂
Guilty 😀
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

DaveE wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:49 pm saw something the other day about a Rolex Explorer 2 that was only available to SAS soldiers

very cool, but you couldn't really wear one IMO, unless you were an SAS soldier yourself - or had a legitimate connection to one (father/brother etc)

or you'd be like those idiots who claim to be SEALs and get called out by real Navy SEALs

it would be like buying and wearing a medal that someone else had been awarded...

Adrian Barker (formerly Bark and Jack)'s video on Sunday was about this, think he said they're worth about £60k on the used market. It's kind of cool - cool that Rolex made them, I like the case back but the case side engraving looks a bit crass - but I agree if would feel wrong wearing one if no SAS connection. It wouldn't be in my top 100 watches to buy if I won the lottery.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

DaveE wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:43 pm
Mito Man wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:38 pm It’s all the pretend divers with their dive watches that gets me 😂
Guilty 😀
I'm wearing trainers but not going to the gym. What's the difference? They're statement or fashion pieces for the most part, they just have extra functionality.

My watch is rated at 1000m. So what. When's it ever going to do that?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Pete_ wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:10 am I agree if would feel wrong wearing one if no SAS connection.
Yeah agreed - if you're not in the SAS and wear one then you're that the sort of person
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

For me it's that that SAS-only Rolex has in some way been "earned" rather than just bought

That's why I would see it like wearing someone else's medals

And not in the same way as a watch being over-specified - that seems to be a trait in a lot of things (I doubt I'll ever trouble my car's speed limiter, but it's nice to know I could)

It's not the specification of that SAS watch, it's that I don't have the "right" to wear it
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I have a couple of new watches on the way :)
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

A form of Stolen Valour.

An ex serviceman friend of mine explained why this is such an issue and he made so much sense.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

It's a silver watch that no one would even know the connection for. Not a set of medals!
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

Guilty 😀
Me too I suppose, but I did just stack the dishwasher without removing my Submariner. ;)
Wilspeed

Post by Wilspeed »

PaulJ wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:49 pm
Guilty 😀
Me too I suppose, but I did just stack the dishwasher without removing my Submariner. ;)
Cunt.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Wilspeed wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:31 pm
PaulJ wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:49 pm

Guilty 😀
Harry doesn't need no Sub - he's an Explorer II military man
Image.jpg
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I had a nightmare flight to the US with BA recently, the result of which was about £600 in compensation, so, of course, I spunked it on some new watches...

First a 36mm "Ranger" style watch from my beloved San Martin

A cracking "little' watch that is super-clean to look at and really nice to wear

Next up is another piece from San Martin, this time a cracking 39mm milsub homage, this looks great IMO, with the sword hands, no date etc.

Usual great build and finishing from SM, and brilliant lume too

The final one may prove to be a little large for me (at 40mm) - I'll find out tomorrow!

But it's one of the new Q watches from Timex - spotted a good offer/price on it, and though "WTF?!" :)

It's a classic-looking sports chronograph, with (by all accounts) a really good quality leather strap

tim

Post by tim »

Can you get replacement original boxes for Rolex anyone know? I wear my 20 year old AirKing almost every day, but I no longer have the box for "reasons" I'm sure are entirely co-incidental to the change in my living arrangements 9 years ago.

I suspect it might be worth a few quid more than I paid for it now, but I guess without the box and original paperwork not so much.
mik

Post by mik »

tim wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:26 am Can you get replacement original boxes for Rolex anyone know?
Seem to be several on Ebay? Not cheap though.
John

Post by John »

DaveE wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:36 am
The final one may prove to be a little large for me (at 40mm) - I'll find out tomorrow!

But it's one of the new Q watches from Timex - spotted a good offer/price on it, and though "WTF?!" :)

It's a classic-looking sports chronograph, with (by all accounts) a really good quality leather strap

Timex are making some nice watches at the moment, always worth hanging on for an offer/code though :)