Your final internal combustion engined car

MikeHunt

Re: Your final internal combustion engined car

Post by MikeHunt »

I really want a yolo v12 and even tell myself it would be a keeper. :lol:

Having owned two Evs, I really cannot see the time when they are the default option and I truly expect a twist towards other green innovations.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

There's no new cars I would want (that I can afford). The prices are silly compared to a fleet of old smokers.

A new porka before you do bow out is something good tho @Jobbo
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I keep looking at LC500s - they'll be £5k by 2029 and it's a V8 Lexus so will do a million miles and last me out until the apocalypse. Plus if I make it to the age where I'm shitting myself in adult diapers it will still be acceptable as its a Lexus.
How about not having a sig at all?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

:lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Marv

Post by Marv »

Probably a Merc V8 of some sort, I like the thought of an old SL.

I definitely want a motorbike with a special engine, though I haven't decided what that will be yet!

Who is sceptical that the 2030 ban on IC engines will actually happen?
Oui, je suis un motard.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

The Emira is my favorite new real-ish world car, but I don't really want one more than my Elise.

Won't be in the market for another daily until 2025ish, so who knows what will look good by then.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:14 pm mini Dinny’s going to be starting driving in 12 months - would you bother teaching him to drive a manual??
Ja for sure, don't deprive him of the experience :)
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

nuttinnew wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:47 pm
dinny_g wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:14 pm mini Dinny’s going to be starting driving in 12 months - would you bother teaching him to drive a manual??
yeah, unless you're planning to buy him an EV then he'll need to know how to drive an manual if he wants to drive cars in his own budget.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Aye, I was talking about this with a mate who's a driving instructor last week. There's definitely going to be a point when learning to drive a manual will be seen as archaic but we're not there yet.
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:11 am Aye, I was talking about this with a mate who's a driving instructor last week. There's definitely going to be a point when learning to drive a manual will be seen as archaic but we're not there yet.
Bring on Archaic, I now see why my Grandad kept saying “why is everyone in such a rush when there is so much to see along the way”

Dave!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Rich B wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:53 am
nuttinnew wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:47 pm
yeah, unless you're planning to buy him an EV then he'll need to know how to drive an manual if he wants to drive cars in his own budget.
We only have one car at the moment but as the other half is job hunting, she'll probably need something unless we get very lucky with her new place of work, mine, commuting etc.

He'll be driving his Mothers car (suitably insured and NOT fronting) so I was looking at lowish mileage Mk 5 golf's for £4k to £5k. He can't drive mine until he's 25 so it's just what to get for the missus which he'll borrow from time to time.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Marv wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:40 pm Who is sceptical that the 2030 ban on IC engines will actually happen?
I am, but I think there is going to be very little on offer other than small petrol engined hybrids.

Lexus LC500 is a jolly good suggestion.
mik

Post by mik »

I'm keeping an eye on the Emira - extremely unlikely to buy one new, but a used manual v6 might be attractive in a couple of years. 8-)

New manual Supra is also appealing, but I worry it might not be "interesting" enough after the Evora. :?

The LC500 is a handsome big beast, but it is 2-tonnes big (that's 200kg heavier than my large 5 seat saloon VXR8) and I have the usual "bah - it's auto only" challenge. :?
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Ferrari 296 GTS
Cheers,

Ian
mik

Post by mik »

IanF wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:44 amFerrari 296 GTS
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

As EV's don't really suit me a replacement for the L200 (probably a newer L200) will probably be purchased, but I won't buy anything new.

Still might try and pick up an MG Maestro 2.0i if I can find one at sensible money and I can find somewhere to store it.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

drcarlos wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:05 am Still might try and pick up an MG Maestro 2.0i if I can find one at sensible money and I can find somewhere to store it.
If you're going to buy unloved classics, there's no need to worry about the 2030 cut-off for sale of new IC cars...
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:09 am
drcarlos wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:05 am Still might try and pick up an MG Maestro 2.0i if I can find one at sensible money and I can find somewhere to store it.
If you're going to buy unloved classics, there's no need to worry about the 2030 cut-off for sale of new IC cars...
:lol:
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, as I don't intend to buy a new car...well, any time, I feel this doesn't apply to me.

Be a bit of a shame when the used market is just filled with complex hybrid snotters though - things like catalytic converters and complicated body control modules/multiple ECUs/etc have been decried as the death knell of the budget enthusiast/home tinkerer for years, but I think hybrid stuff has more of a chance of making used cars significantly more difficult to work on yourself :?

Being unable to reset/enable/disable the automatic door lock on drive-away option is one thing; getting a high current shock from a hybrid battery pack is something else entirely.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

mik wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:42 am I'm keeping an eye on the Emira - extremely unlikely to buy one new, but a used manual v6 might be attractive in a couple of years. 8-)

New manual Supra is also appealing, but I worry it might not be "interesting" enough after the Evora. :?

The LC500 is a handsome big beast, but it is 2-tonnes big (that's 200kg heavier than my large 5 seat saloon VXR8) and I have the usual "bah - it's auto only" challenge. :?
The year is 2040, the world is carbon neutral and quiet, apart from the distant roar of polar bears. You’re getting on a bit, the left leg isn’t as good as it used to be, not helped by your gout flaring up again in your left toe.

You remove your metaverse headset and leave your home
for the first time in 3 months to go on a final road trip to the alpine passes before a full car ban comes into effect in the coming months. Time to dust off the LC500 and fill in with Vags finest synthetic fuel at £20 a litre. Freedom is expensive.

You arrive in St Moritz 12 hours later having tested your bladder to the limit as this old automobile can travel an incredible 500 miles per tank and takes 2 minutes to refill. Thankful for the automatic gearbox and supportive seats you hand the keys to the valet at the hotel, not before spending 5 minutes explaining how to operate the controls.

The next day you start venturing north to the San Bernardino pass and can finally hear the glorious naturally aspirated v8 at full chat through the tunnels. A new C63 blasts past you on a straight bit of road, but you know he won’t be having as much of a fun experience in his silent washing machine which now weighs 3100kg despite being made entirely from carbon fibre. The LC500 is positively anorexic at just 2000kg and you can feel it in the corners and under braking. This old car is only RWD, and the back end steps out on each hairpin turn when you give it a boot full of throttle which makes you giggle.

Lunch time approaches so you make the drive to Davos. Still on the same tank of fuel. You park up to indulge in some overpriced fondue which smells like manure, whilst the LC500 also has a well earned rest as it makes various ticking sounds as the exhaust system contracts.
Some young women who are bored of their solely sedentary online focused lifestyles show much interest in your car and throw themselves at you once you let them know you’re the owner. However you’re already taken, and have the Chunnel to catch in 8 hours.

You return back home, and wake up the next morning and remove your metaverse headset, ah fuck, it was just virtual reality all this time…
How about not having a sig at all?