Elite Dangerous

duncs500

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by duncs500 »

I guess I need to buy this Horizons pack soon.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Horizons gets a 40-50% off sale every couple of months. £20 full price is a bit much but happy I got it on sale.

There's definitely some spectacular landing sites to explore plus all the engineers' upgrades.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

RobYob wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:28 am Horizons gets a 40-50% off sale every couple of months. £20 full price is a bit much but happy I got it on sale.

There's definitely some spectacular landing sites to explore plus all the engineers' upgrades.
I'll definitely need those engineering upgrades once I get my Anaconda!

With the engineering upgrades do you need to do them for each ship or can you transfer them?
tim

Post by tim »

I’ve done loads of insulating membrane missions around sha gigas. How far away are you?
dan

Post by dan »

Last night I bought a dolphin and did a passenger mission, christ it was boring :lol:
tim

Post by tim »

The saving grace of coming all the way here is they sell a Type 9 Heavy here. So I might upgrade my 7 to that and truck on back home and continue my hauling around Sha Gigas
dan

Post by dan »

Tim are you using a VR headset? If not you should, especially with Elite, its pretty spectacular.
tim

Post by tim »

No but it’s on my list now I have a decent graphics card to run it.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

tim wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:54 am I’ve done loads of insulating membrane missions around sha gigas. How far away are you?
I'm at Maia, where did you find a good supply of insulating membranes? EDDB said there were only a handful at each station and I needed 1800 on the things.

If you're ship shopping remember some stations have good discounts and even better those discounts apply for every rebuy!

Save 15% on a Type 9
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Headed to RMK 6 where the latest thargoid attacked station is this week.

Kinda fun rescueing passengers from the on fire station although not much of a challenge in my cold running Python.

Not particularly profitable either.

300MCr in the bank wondering what to do next.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

RobYob wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:48 am
6-7 economy cabins in that AspX, join the Robigo bus drivers and make 50-70M/hr if all you want is cash.
Well I got the AspX and geared up for this, took me a while to realise that you get more people in an economy cabin and all the people seem to want is economy, but luckily there's a hi-tech system a couple of jumps away so didn't take me long to get the most space I could.

Must admit I kept a shield, albeit downgraded from 5 to 3.

I'm not able to get 50-70M/hr with the run. I make it about 12mins (form me) to complete the mission and the most I got was about 6.5M for one run. Add in the time to get the most you can onboard and I reckon I'm looking at about 25M/hr. Still, way better than I've been doing so I'm happy! 8-)
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:20 am
RobYob wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:48 am
6-7 economy cabins in that AspX, join the Robigo bus drivers and make 50-70M/hr if all you want is cash.
Well I got the AspX and geared up for this, took me a while to realise that you get more people in an economy cabin and all the people seem to want is economy, but luckily there's a hi-tech system a couple of jumps away so didn't take me long to get the most space I could.

Must admit I kept a shield, albeit downgraded from 5 to 3.

I'm not able to get 50-70M/hr with the run. I make it about 12mins (form me) to complete the mission and the most I got was about 6.5M for one run. Add in the time to get the most you can onboard and I reckon I'm looking at about 25M/hr. Still, way better than I've been doing so I'm happy! 8-)
Allied with the factions yet? top payer is the criminal faction in Robigo mines, there's usually one or two missions of 4.5-5mill without board flipping and the fill the other cabins with 3-4mill paying passengers depending on how many. Run without shield for the challenge! A Robigo bus driver has to stay awake somehow. :lol:

I'm huting materials to engineer my as unyet purchased Anaconda. :ugeek:
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Think I'm at the top end of friendly with one and somewhere near friendly with the other two.

You don't seem to get scanned at Robigo Mines, so presume illegal passengers make no difference?

What's board flipping?

At the moment I'm finding the biggest paying ones are only about 2.7M, for 12 to 16 passengers, and I can only accommodate two big groups.

8-) Nice, when you taking the plunge? Once I get mine I'm going to need to get advice on the engineering front. Do you engineer a basic D type module? Or do you need to start with an A? Does it make a difference to where you end up?

Also, I might be wrong, but the numbers wouldn't make sense if I am... I feel like I made a massive profit on a module. I bought my AspX and upgraded it at one of those discount systems, at the time I foolishly (given what I was gearing up to do) bought a 6A fuel scoop. I'm sure I paid a relatively small amount for it, possibly <5M. When I went to the hitech system near Robigo to sort my shit out I sold it for something like 24M. I may have been mistaken about what I paid, but the whole lot of ship and upgrades only cost around 20M with plenty of A rated stuff, so I don't think I am. :?
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Shamelessly stolen from Reddit, but you get some incredible screenshots from this:

I'm still waiting to come back to it. I just still don't feel there's enough yet to keep me engaged...although I do fire it up with the VR headset now and again purely because it's an amazing experience.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:02 pm Think I'm at the top end of friendly with one and somewhere near friendly with the other two.

You don't seem to get scanned at Robigo Mines, so presume illegal passengers make no difference?

What's board flipping?

At the moment I'm finding the biggest paying ones are only about 2.7M, for 12 to 16 passengers, and I can only accommodate two big groups.

8-) Nice, when you taking the plunge? Once I get mine I'm going to need to get advice on the engineering front. Do you engineer a basic D type module? Or do you need to start with an A? Does it make a difference to where you end up?

Also, I might be wrong, but the numbers wouldn't make sense if I am... I feel like I made a massive profit on a module. I bought my AspX and upgraded it at one of those discount systems, at the time I foolishly (given what I was gearing up to do) bought a 6A fuel scoop. I'm sure I paid a relatively small amount for it, possibly <5M. When I went to the hitech system near Robigo to sort my shit out I sold it for something like 24M. I may have been mistaken about what I paid, but the whole lot of ship and upgrades only cost around 20M with plenty of A rated stuff, so I don't think I am. :?
Allied status should bump up your profits a bit more again. You're right I don't think you ever get scanned at Robigo Mines, you rarely get scanned going in and out of the system or at Sothis atmospherics tourist point. You can always go silent running to slow/stop the scan (scan speed depends on thermal emissions) and boost away/supercruise.

Board flipping is switching between Solo/Open/Private play groups which resets the mission board, it's a consequence of the way each play group is setup and generates. It can be exploited to maximise mission payments. It can reach rediculous levels with people flipping between play modes every few minutes to get resources to respawn at good materials collection points like Dav's hope.

Maiden voyage of the SS Mostly Harmless, Mostly :D

Letting all that Epeen hang out.

Current build after spending about 220Million (that 15% discount at BZ Ceti being very welcome!) link
Boy do I need to save a lot more to get the A rated power plant and power distributor! D rated is much cheaper and lighter but runs hot as fook. I used to scoop with impuny now I need to take a lot more care with heat.

Engineering you can taylor modules to your taste, there tend to be universal favourites but there's lots of room for choice.

For example my Krait II is combat, so powerplant is overcharged for max available juice, the thrusters are dirty drives for more maneouverability. The consequence of this is even A rated (most efficient) modules run hot so needing some thermal management. On the other hand my Python has a low emissions powerplant and clean tuned drives and isn't quite as fast or powerful as the Krait but runs cold which is good for avoiding scans, operating in burning space stations and getting close to stars. It's so cold running I start charging my FSD while still close to the star (ie. red on the radar)

My new Conda I couldn't afford the smegging 162Million! for an A rated PP so to keep all the weapons and modules running I've had to overcharge engineer a D rated plant (6mill) which makes it run very hot.

I doubt you made money flipping the fuel scoop sorry, they generally sell for what you paid, a 6A sccop is around 28M depending on station discount.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Question from an outsider but an Elite fan from the first time around - is it fun? It seems to be absolutely mammoth in terms of scope - dauntingly so - but is it, well, fun? As in fun?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I guess you need 500M+ to get a Conda up and running with some decent stuff!?

I don't fully understand all that stuff, but I'm sure I'll learn as I go along. Not really sure what I'll do when I get mine, I think I'll try to put together a bit of an all rounder initially but with a bias towards long distance travel.

I bought Horizons this morning, so I need to see what that's all about too.

Hoping I'll have time to grind a bit more cash today.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:50 am Question from an outsider but an Elite fan from the first time around - is it fun? It seems to be absolutely mammoth in terms of scope - dauntingly so - but is it, well, fun? As in fun?
Good question, it can be, satisfying is probably a better word. I think the more you play it, the more fun it gets.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

You were right Rob, now I've got Allied status and everything set up, plus the board flipping (which is awsome) I'm getting 14-15M per run. Got £200M odd today, one more decent stint and the Conda will be mine! 8-)
ilmostro

Post by ilmostro »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:50 am Question from an outsider but an Elite fan from the first time around - is it fun? It seems to be absolutely mammoth in terms of scope - dauntingly so - but is it, well, fun? As in fun?
It's often tedious, but also satisfying, stunning and brilliant. I think I've spent 2000 hours playing it.

Having said that as you've probably figured out I'm fairly mad, so my opinion might not be the best. :lol: