Energy companies direct debits

Broccers

Energy companies direct debits

Post by Broccers »

Have you all checked your new direct debit amount for energy? Based on predictions (we weren't with them last year) they've x2.5 my direct debit. You're unable to reduce it much. I'm also in credit.

What happened to paying for what you use? This is EDF btw.

Check your bills and have a giggle.
mik

Re: Energy companies direct debits

Post by mik »

Yeah mine has gone up significantly, but they did notify my of that in advance.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I manually upped mine a couple of months ago but Bulb reduced it themselves before taking the direct debit this month.

Not a massive surprise that it's higher - you can't have missed the energy price rise? The price cap was going to be higher from 1 October originally but it's still a small increase.
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

Mine's gone up by £20 but only £10 a month more than our monthly usage up to the end of September so can't complain about that. That's with Scottish Power.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:27 am you can't have missed the energy price rise?
This is why I love this place. Stating the bleeding obvious.

My gripe in a more blunt way is I'm quite capable of managing my own money and don't need assistance (in their favour) of how to pay my bills.

Unlike you I paid extra into my own bills Bank account which is the most sensible option.

Lots of twitter crying on the subject. Mainly about where is the 400 quid? Edf are splitting it over 6 months, again in their favour. Considering you can get 4 percent plus interest these days they're taking the piss.
scotta

Post by scotta »

British Gas upped mine by £200 to £380 without notice last month.

I got this the other day as well

ETA - i did a uSwitch after that arrived and they reckon im on the cheapest deal they can offer.
mik

Post by mik »

KevH18 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:40 am Mine's gone up by £20 but only £10 a month more than our monthly usage up to the end of September so can't complain about that.
But is it right? :? A £10 increase only sounds feasible if you don’t actually use any electricity….. :?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Octopus wrote to me a few weeks ago - mine is scheduled to go up from £120 / £130 to £180 which under the circumstances is OK...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Had a lot of action in my Bulb account recently. My dd has crept up from £40pm to £130 over the last 6 months, bulb reduced it back to £105 for the next pay date and I got the first installment of the government energy payment thing applied to my account.
An absolute unit
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Some of the above increases seem unrealistic in BOTH directions. :o :o :o
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Just the two of us in a tenement flat with double glazing, the heating doesn't normally go on for another month :lol:
An absolute unit
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

mik wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:13 am
KevH18 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:40 am Mine's gone up by £20 but only £10 a month more than our monthly usage up to the end of September so can't complain about that.
But is it right? :? A £10 increase only sounds feasible if you don’t actually use any electricity….. :?
I took a picture of all of our candles and said we won't be using any electricity and they seemed fine with that...
mik

Post by mik »

KevH18 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:03 am
mik wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:13 am
I took a picture of all of our candles and said we won't be using any electricity and they seemed fine with that...
Fork handles?
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Bulb have dropped our place in Cornwall to £1 a month!
Previously we’ve used about £550 a year (only occupied for about 6 months) but did pay £67 a month which was the original Bulb estimate, as we’re about £200 in credit.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

scotta wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:10 am British Gas upped mine by £200 to £380 without notice last month.

I got this the other day as well

ETA - i did a uSwitch after that arrived and they reckon im on the cheapest deal they can offer.
I get pretty much the same out of Shell (we were moved to them when Blue Planet collapsed). Although my usage in September was only £180 total and we stand at nearly £800 in credit (due to upping the DD back in April and they want another increase now, which we won't do, we'll run down the credit and pay the difference manually).

Something doesn't seem to add up.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Broccers wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:02 am This is why I love this place. Stating the bleeding obvious.

My gripe in a more blunt way is I'm quite capable of managing my own money and don't need assistance (in their favour) of how to pay my bills.

Unlike you I paid extra into my own bills Bank account which is the most sensible option.

Lots of twitter crying on the subject. Mainly about where is the 400 quid? Edf are splitting it over 6 months, again in their favour. Considering you can get 4 percent plus interest these days they're taking the piss.
As opposed to you crying on here :lol:

I just pay approximately what I owe each month, never had difficulty doing that. I don't let credit build up with the supplier and am aware that if you have built up a credit balance you can ask for it back and they have to pay it.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Octopus didn't, I manually raised mine a bit (I'm a few hundred in credit anyway) and then they've reduced it by £67 again to almost where it was :lol:

It's not your supplier choosing to spread the £400 over 6 months btw, that's how the government required it to be done.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:36 am
Broccers wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:02 am This is why I love this place. Stating the bleeding obvious.

As opposed to you crying on here :lol:

I just pay approximately what I owe each month, never had difficulty doing that. I don't let credit build up with the supplier and am aware that if you have built up a credit balance you can ask for it back and they have to pay it.
If youve been over paying then you will be in credit - make your mind up.

As for crying - there will be a lot of real crying for many.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

simon_g wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:44 am Octopus didn't, I manually raised mine a bit (I'm a few hundred in credit anyway) and then they've reduced it by £67 again to almost where it was :lol:

It's not your supplier choosing to spread the £400 over 6 months btw, that's how the government required it to be done.
Looking into this further - EDF take the money off your balance if you owe them but if not they pay in to your bank account - this can justify their huge DD increases I guess.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Mine is £81 this month. :( It would be higher but for the £400 auto rebate thingy.
The artist formerly known as _Who_