12%
It's a necessity
4%

Total votes: 25

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Re: Could you do your job drunk?

Post by Gavster »

IanF wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:27 pm It’s generally frowned upon in my profession..
What do you do?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

100% apart from more breaks to go to the loo. Although at my age...
Cheers,

Mike.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Gavster wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:46 pm
IanF wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:27 pm It’s generally frowned upon in my profession..
What do you do?
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ol-florida
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:03 pm
Gavster wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:46 pm
What do you do?
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ol-florida
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I could do my job drunk, but I guess standards might slip slightly.

This is ignoring driving the van and to do gas work in line with regulations you have to be deemed competent, which basically means doing it inebriated would be illegal and liable for prosecution, and once reported gas safe don’t mess about
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

In my current "job" I could get away with lots whilst half-cut. Indeed, there have been times when I've been called on to fix simple things (e.g. blocked toilets, broken boilers, keys snapped in locks) in an evening, and I've just gone and done it there and then, despite a few beers.
The more power-toolsy bits are probably more ill-advised, and the financy bits would probably go less well (for some reason, banks are less willing to lend you money if you slur your way through the application). Driving from place to place would be somewhat problematic too.

The funny thing is, when I used to work in a more, shall we say, cerebral profession (financial analysis), it was completely normal to go out for drinks at lunchtime - either with clients or just with co-workers - and just come back to work for the afternoon 3 pints or a pint and half a bottle of wine down. I'm sure there was more than one fairly major financial decision made, based on off-the-cuff advice I gave whilst semi-sozzled. Seems kinda crazy now :shock:
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

I’d say no. Too much scope in the design process to fuck up and cause a massive outage.

I was refused access to a datacentre in Amsterdam for being drunk once. I’d left my laptop at work to go and watch the World Cup in a bar. I cycled back to get it at the end of the night and security wouldn’t let me past reception. They were very polite and Dutch about it and went and got it for me. I was a bit miffed as I wasn’t that pissed and probably appeared even less so, I think they just assumed time of night/football on..
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I'm drunk 24/7 😂😀

Being drunk is relative tho a hardened alcoholic needs booze to function therefore it's important to have gin for breakfast.

The older you get tho it's impossible as your eyesight is bad at the best of times 😀
So probably not is my answer.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I’m sitting in a rather nice bar in Devon sending texts to a client currently. So despite having read this thread and thought otherwise previously, clearly I can 😂
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:10 pm I’m sitting in a rather nice bar in Devon sending texts to a client currently. So despite having read this thread and thought otherwise previously, clearly I can 😂
We've been in Fowey today. Only had the one before back to base. Funny how you're more busy on holiday. 😎😃
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Sober? :shock:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:10 pm I’m sitting in a rather nice bar in Devon sending texts to a client currently. So despite having read this thread and thought otherwise previously, clearly I can 😂
😂
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

My old job, yes. I used to do it often, sat at the computer at night with a few beers designing and cutting the work out. My new job however, would land me in jail.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Barry

Post by Barry »

I could function after a few beers but I'm one of those types that goes from giddy and dancing about to sleepy time in the space of about two more drinks, so it'd be a very short period of functionality.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I'm in the outside bar at Somerset House pissed again 😂😂
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

McSwede wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:48 pm I'm in the outside bar at Somerset House pissed again 😂😂
Do you actually get paid to get drunk? :D
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Gavster wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:31 am
McSwede wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:48 pm I'm in the outside bar at Somerset House pissed again 😂😂
Do you actually get paid to get drunk? :D
I reckon he’s a surveyor 😄
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I certainly could do my job after a couple of pints, although I don't know whether concentration would be a problem. However, when on site or something there is always the risk of a test and probably I would lose my job in the event of a failure, so not worth it.

Have been in the situation where there was a company night out and the testers turned up the next morning. There were a few worried faces! Thankfully I didn't get picked, and those who did got through it.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

It's interesting to hear all your responses. 10+ years ago I was able to turn up to work completely toasted, I fell asleep at work on many, many occasions, and we would sometimes buy gear out of petty cash :lol:. That might have been a little over-egged back then, however I had become concerned recently by the way that work was dominating my mental capacity, feeling like I couldn't drink at all so that I could concentrate the next morning. Being able to have a couple of drinks, or be a little hungover, and still fulfill work obligations seems like a nice life balance. As Steve Coogan said about being teetotal "I can still have fun ..... just not as much"
Beany

Post by Beany »

See as I get older I find even mild hangovers get in the way of clear thinking - although again, that might be due to new job etc - so I'm cutting back even on my irregular 'couple of beers with dinner' habit - which is probably no bad thing for my waistline, and it means I tend to sleep better.

I did have a couple of beers last night though and I'm a bit grumpy about it this morning :D