Peterlplp

Re: Collective hive mind assemble! Car question

Post by Peterlplp »

DS5.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

drcarlos wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:15 am ...anything 5k and German won't be reliable.
I disagree, and I'd like to think I have a fair amount of experience in this area :D The key would be to keep it simple - a £5k Cayenne for example is likely to be a lot more hassle than a £5k 1-Series.

My experience of Japanese stuff is that parts are expensive and they're difficult to work on.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

the fact Ian's a pilot and is away, I'm sure, quite a lot, the M4 is looking less and less right for his new requirements.

so yeah, I think Rich is right...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Yeah, RichB is making a valid argument re M4.. this purchase would probably be for 6-12months before I buy something proper. Any new vehicle seems to be taking that long from order to delivery anyway.

I’m also waiting for our company car scheme to restart but that’d involve an electric car and I’m still unsure I’m ready for that move. Neighbour has a Taycan 4S estate and that ticks all the boxes.. but that’ll be for another discussion when the car scheme starts up again 😁
Cheers,

Ian
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Have you got solar ??

I started crunching the numbers about 6 or 8 months ago looking to jumping head first in - Solar, Batteries and an EQC (currently the only EV available on our scheme but even then, not completely certain I'd be allowed one) but with the world going to shit, I've paused it...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Based on recent courtesy car lottery, the 320/520 would seem to be a sensible and nice option for something reliable, fast enough, practical etc. Or a Merc/Audi equivalent?
Cheers,

Mike.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:52 pm
drcarlos wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:15 am ...anything 5k and German won't be reliable.
I disagree, and I'd like to think I have a fair amount of experience in this area :D The key would be to keep it simple - a £5k Cayenne for example is likely to be a lot more hassle than a £5k 1-Series.

My experience of Japanese stuff is that parts are expensive and they're difficult to work on.
While my judgement of German machinery is likely clouded by my only experience with it, everything I see in reliability surveys (from owners and warranty companies) doesn't do much to change my mind with lots of VAG Group, Mercedes and some BMW in the bottom 25 and Japanese dominating the top 10's.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:41 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:15 pm
dinny_g wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:11 pm I think Rich is right on this one...
Nah. He's advocating having fewer cars, and appears to be inferring that all older cars are crappy.
it just seems the obvious thing to me. Why buy some unknown cheap (potential) shitbox to save probably <£50 a week because the lovely car you're paying out £600+ a month on already doesn't suit your lifestyle any more.

Ditch the M4, get a 335d / Tesla model 3 / etc and spend your time driving a car that suits your lifestyle.
But if Ian still wants to drive an M4 for 5 days/week then it starts to make less sense to swap into something inferior as a 7day/week catch all, than continue with the M4 and buy a decent older hack for the weekend. For 12mo.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

drcarlos wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:16 pm

While my judgement of German machinery is likely clouded by my only experience with it, everything I see in reliability surveys (from owners and warranty companies) doesn't do much to change my mind with lots of VAG Group, Mercedes and some BMW in the bottom 25 and Japanese dominating the top 10's.
Depends what era you're looking at I guess. My view on the F generation onwards isn't positive, but others on here seem to have no bother with them. Imo they're a bit flaky and the diesels are known to burst into flames, to the extent that lots of Forces seem to have started to drop BMW after an incident that resulted in an officers death.

We've had no issues with our Skoda in the 1st 4 years, but again it feels flaky to me, but I think that's just a lot of modern cars in general.

My E91 has been pretty good though. Much of what's needed doing is just age related maintenance. There's no squeaks or rattles even at 16yo and on over 130k.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:31 pm
drcarlos wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:16 pm

Depends what era you're looking at I guess. My view on the F generation onwards isn't positive, but others on here seem to have no bother with them. Imo they're a bit flaky and the diesels are known to burst into flames, to the extent that lots of Forces seem to have started to drop BMW after an incident that resulted in an officers death.

We've had no issues with our Skoda in the 1st 4 years, but again it feels flaky to me, but I think that's just a lot of modern cars in general.

My E91 has been pretty good though. Much of what's needed doing is just age related maintenance. There's no squeaks or rattles even at 16yo and on over 130k.
It might depend on how much spannering you're prepared to do yourself too.

My most recent experience with BMWs has been rather poor. My E91 was an more lemony than an R Whites advert and my F36 was great friends with the mechanic next door, although Turo might have played a part in that. The fact remains that BMW scores pretty badly for new and nearly new car reliability.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Our V60 has been reliable, is comfy and quiet, and fits 2 large dog crates in the boot with the seats up.

Also took a 7ft long la z boy sofa in it last week, so it's not short on space

It will better 60 MPG on a run sat at 70 on cruise as well.

I'd only get a 5 Cylinder one, the rest of the engines are a bit dodgy.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

You had a 335i though didn't you Gav? Were your troubles engine-related or just general?

I'm handy with the spanners but in 10years of ownership the only time I've spannered on it was:

1: Replace coils and plugs when I had a misfire (ultimately turned out to be water in the ecu!). It's possibly the easiest job I've ever done on any car ever - did it in 30mins on my lunch hour in the work car park and most of that was trying to get that stupid plastic engine cover back on straight :lol:

2: Replacing front springs earlier this year. Really this was the only major job I've ever done on it and springs go on loads of cars so not a BMW specific issue. I'd have had the garage do it but for the spring breaking in half, thus dropping the front corner so low it wasn't really safe to drive any distance.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:06 pm You had a 335i though didn't you Gav? Were your troubles engine-related or just general?

I'm handy with the spanners but in 10years of ownership the only time I've spannered on it was:

1: Replace coils and plugs when I had a misfire (ultimately turned out to be water in the ecu!). It's possibly the easiest job I've ever done on any car ever - did it in 30mins on my lunch hour in the work car park and most of that was trying to get that stupid plastic engine cover back on straight :lol:

2: Replacing front springs earlier this year. Really this was the only major job I've ever done on it and springs go on loads of cars so not a BMW specific issue. I'd have had the garage do it but for the spring breaking in half, thus dropping the front corner so low it wasn't really safe to drive any distance.
Sounds nice and easy for you :)

Mine was definitely a Friday afternoon car. It was a 335i Touring M Sport and had some severe engine problems - luckily I had extended BMW warranty. During one visit to BMW Chiswick it clocked up nearly 40 hours of workshop time and they still hadn't solved the problem. I think it was a misfire, yet no parts showing up as failed either, so they technically weren't able to replace them on warranty. It was a weird situation to be in.

When I sold it, some guys viewed it, test drove it, then came back with the cash a week later. 5 mins down the road and the brake warning light came on.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

How bog are the dogs? Fo' shame I can't remember :( :oops:
mik

Post by mik »

nuttinnew wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:33 pm How bog are the dogs? Fo' shame I can't remember :( :oops:
O dont thonk thay ere vary bog.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

mik wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:41 pm
nuttinnew wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:33 pm How bog are the dogs? Fo' shame I can't remember :( :oops:
Ach, din't mick me, mok, nit fir a wee typi :(

Smol digs?
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

As above. Volvo Estate, D5 engine. Done.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

nuttinnew wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:57 pm
mik wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:41 pm
Ach, din't mick me, mok, nit fir a wee typi :(

Smol digs?
D’yaw lake dags?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Ni doggoty.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Civic with the 1.6 diesel (2014-ish) is about as real-world efficient as it gets for motorway pounding. Hatch has a big boot, estate is massive (although a little over £5k). Free or £20 tax depending on model/year. Fairly cheap to buy as they're euro 5 so not ULEZ compliant.