New Merc C63 AMG

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: New Merc C63 AMG

Post by Jobbo »

mik wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:05 am
Jobbo wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:58 am I think it’s to do with the 2-speed transmission for the electric motor. The motor might produce 236lb ft itself but if it gears down 2:1 then it’s outputting 472lb ft into the drivetrain.
I assumed this too, but to your earlier point - it’s a very confusing way to cite the overall output when the ICE has a gearbox ahead of the final drive too…. :?
I agree; it’s misleading really.
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

mik wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:25 pm
Ascender wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:44 pm Those V8s are going to hold their value really well in the face of this.
Mr @Maurice mentioned the same to me. (I wasn’t with him, but he was possibly gently caressing the steering wheel of his at the time…. :D )
Was reversing it into a hermetically sealed box whilst crossing fingers that values are going to the moon.

I’ve little interest in this new one and I’m still very much happy with mine. Obviously the key attraction in buying it was the engine and it doesn’t disappoint in that respect. I’m confident a farty 4 banger wouldn’t sway me anywhere near as easily as the V8 did first time I drove it.

Whilst I do appreciate its thirsty, it’ll comfortably do low 30s mpg on a cruise and I’m not convinced economy is going to be materially different with the new one given weight penalty etc.

The W205 has all the performance you’d ever need (and 600bhp is only a remap away, as the engine is nowhere near as stressed as that 2.0 will be).

I do like the wheels in the new one though.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... -585bhp-v8

Well the 4 banger didn't last long did it :lol:
Still haven't seen one all these years later!
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

He added: “But we explained the concept, the rationale and where it came from, especially with reference to F1, and they started to understand what the idea behind it was. However, they said that their drug dealing gangster mates weren't impressed if they couldn't straight pipe it and make it sound like rolling thunder, so they'd pass on it till it had a V8 again.”
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

The CLE is half E-class and has space under the bonnet for bigger engines. So doesn’t really say anything about the C63.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Jobbo wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:00 pm The CLE is half E-class and has space under the bonnet for bigger engines. So doesn’t really say anything about the C63.
Exactly, and as it already has an I6 elsewhere in the line-up it would be a bit weird to move to I4 for the hot version.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I must say I'm confused a little as I don't follow Mercedes much. This is apparently the M4 competitor so I thought it's just the new name for the C63 coupe since they have decided to bin of the E class coupe and just combine it all into this one?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I can't see any situation where a company downsizes and then back tracks under current legislation.

It's not like they moved to phev for the performance benefits.
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

It was fairly predictable - without the big V8, what do the AMG C and E class actually offer above any other saloon? They've already put most of the AMG kit and badging on every other model in the ranges, so they're basically just back to looking and sounding like airport run taxis.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I'm quite tempted by the E53 AMG estate - it might have a straight 6 rather than a V8 but it has over 600bhp and the electric-only range should mean I get decent economy overall. It's bloody expensive though, as all new E-classes are; I'd specced an E450d estate and that came to £87k or so. Buying a new one would need to involve a massive discount.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Didn’t they announce Tesla style pricing with no discounts or have they backtracked on that too? 😂
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Jobbo wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:42 am I'm quite tempted by the E53 AMG estate
So am I but I didn't work hard enough in school :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

In theory, when they moved to dealers being agents - but that means they might drop the price randomly by £10k I guess :lol:

ETA: I did try getting a Carwow quote but they don't have the 6-cylinder E-classes on there for some reason; maybe not actually available yet? Anyway, on an E300e Estate there was about a £3k discount.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:00 am I can't see any situation where a company downsizes and then back tracks under current legislation.

It's not like they moved to phev for the performance benefits.
Isn’t that what Porsche did with the Coxster?..

Think there are discounts for most new cars these days. And even JLR has moved away from the fixed price system as they weren’t getting the same level of sales
Cheers,

Ian
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Not really, you can still buy the 4 cyl one. The 6 cyl is a new model. It would be similar if they did a C63+ or whatever with the V8.
An absolute unit
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

I was curious how many were for sale on Autotrader. There's 5 adverts on there and 2 seem to be advertising the same car, so it's only actually 4 for sale. 89k for the estate with ~3k miles and the most expensive one is 101k for a C63S with only 30 miles on the clock.

Was trying to look on howmanyleft.co.uk as well, and as best I can work out from searching for C63's (there's loads of variants on there - I was looking at ones available from 2022 onwards), they *may* have sold 40 in total. I could be wrong on the numbers, but that's awful if that's the case. No wonder they're reconsidering the approach.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:59 am Not really, you can still buy the 4 cyl one. The 6 cyl is a new model. It would be similar if they did a C63+ or whatever with the V8.
It’s the CLE that the article talks about. A new model that’s never come with the 2L hybrid engine
Cheers,

Ian
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Aye, it's a new car. The 4.0 Coxster was just a range expansion.
An absolute unit
Simon

Post by Simon »

Mito Man wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:01 am Didn’t they announce Tesla style pricing with no discounts or have they backtracked on that too? 😂
Yes - all their dealers are now 'agents' rather than actual sales peeps in their own right, or something like that. So no discounts.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Simon wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:29 pm
Mito Man wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:01 am Didn’t they announce Tesla style pricing with no discounts or have they backtracked on that too? 😂
Yes - all their dealers are now 'agents' rather than actual sales peeps in their own right, or something like that. So no discounts.
See my post above - £3k off an E300e estate despite the 'no discounts'. That's from Mercedes themselves, not a specific dealership so you could pick it up anywhere.