New Merc C63 AMG

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: New Merc C63 AMG

Post by Jobbo »

mik wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:05 am
Jobbo wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:58 am I think it’s to do with the 2-speed transmission for the electric motor. The motor might produce 236lb ft itself but if it gears down 2:1 then it’s outputting 472lb ft into the drivetrain.
I assumed this too, but to your earlier point - it’s a very confusing way to cite the overall output when the ICE has a gearbox ahead of the final drive too…. :?
I agree; it’s misleading really.
Maurice

Re: New Merc C63 AMG

Post by Maurice »

mik wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:25 pm
Ascender wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:44 pm Those V8s are going to hold their value really well in the face of this.
Mr @Maurice mentioned the same to me. (I wasn’t with him, but he was possibly gently caressing the steering wheel of his at the time…. :D )
Was reversing it into a hermetically sealed box whilst crossing fingers that values are going to the moon.

I’ve little interest in this new one and I’m still very much happy with mine. Obviously the key attraction in buying it was the engine and it doesn’t disappoint in that respect. I’m confident a farty 4 banger wouldn’t sway me anywhere near as easily as the V8 did first time I drove it.

Whilst I do appreciate its thirsty, it’ll comfortably do low 30s mpg on a cruise and I’m not convinced economy is going to be materially different with the new one given weight penalty etc.

The W205 has all the performance you’d ever need (and 600bhp is only a remap away, as the engine is nowhere near as stressed as that 2.0 will be).

I do like the wheels in the new one though.