ModSports Mini Racing Update

scotta

ModSports Mini Racing Update

Post by scotta »

That's my first full season in the Mini finished. Pleased to say that I won the class for the season and came second in the main series 8-)

Big thanks to @Nefarious for all his help prepping and supporting this year.

On to Race of Remembrance next!
Attachments
ModsClassJ.JPG
ModsClassJ.JPG (76.89 KiB) Viewed 543 times
scotta

Re: ModSports Mini Racing Update

Post by scotta »

Also thanks to @mik For helping out on Spanner duties as well.
mik

Post by mik »

scotta wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:32 pm Also thanks to @mik For helping out on Spanner duties as well.
Awesome result 8-) and my input was minimal - I was only there to pick up the odd finger fracture. ;)
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Well done!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Well done. Is Alpine about to announce that you'll be driving for them next season?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

well that's just awesome
Left over crest; tightens.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Impressive :o 8-)
Congrats to all involved (and ouch @mik ).
mik

Post by mik »

nuttinnew wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:03 am (and ouch @mik ).
Ach it was only once and was entirely self inflicted. Now I have mentioned it :oops: I shall explain :

@Nefarious wanted to reset the front camber on both cars before they were tucked up for the night, as the next days racing was with the track running in the opposite direction. He has cunningly marked the positions on the strut tops accordingly, so it's a pretty quick job.

Nothing unusual here - you need to loosen the top of the 3 strut-top fixings, whilst holding the bottom end to prevent the whole fixing just spinning in the hole, reset the position, and tighten it all back up. This is relatively easy to do alone if you have the anatomy of a Gibbon, but @scotta was doing something else, so I volunteered to hold the spanner on the bottom end (hand deep in the inside of the strut tower), whilst Neil opted for the rattle gun up top.

Said StrongBroo Racing rattle gun is DeWalt's largest offering, and it provides considerable hammery goodness for longtime. Very aware of this I positioned the spanner so that - if it did spin - it would rest against the arch - I was just really holding the closed end onto the nut/bolt head - I'm not a total idiot. Unfortunately this activity left the spanner trapped in the turret, "locked" against the arch, and I couldn't remove it. Neil suggested he would back everything off slightly to allow its removal, but whilst any not totally stupid idiot would continue to keep all their digits out of the way during this process, I decided I would now hold the spanner to avoid it falling onto the tarmac. The first dugga of the rattle gun (of course) spun the spanner round and trapped my finger (against the spring I guess?), and in the time it took me to say "Oh - excuse me Neil, I do believe my finger is now trapped sir, and I'd be incredibly grateful if you could release the trigger of that power tool", a few more duggas had been delivered. Now the fixing had to be loosened again, as both my finger and the spanner were trapped. :roll:

All over very quickly, and 10 mins later whilst I was still moping around admiring my new finger-dent, Nef managed to somehow similarly impact one of his digits all on his own (not the same cause, but with a similar result). The fact he hasn't mentioned it might indicate he is somewhat less of a whiney beeatch however. :oops:
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

8-) Good work @scotta!
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

That's amazing @scotta, well done!
Cheers,

Mike.
scotta

Post by scotta »

mik wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:52 am
nuttinnew wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:03 am (and ouch @mik ).
Ach it was only once and was entirely self inflicted. Now I have mentioned it :oops: I shall explain :

@Nefarious wanted to reset the front camber on both cars before they were tucked up for the night, as the next days racing was with the track running in the opposite direction. He has cunningly marked the positions on the strut tops accordingly, so it's a pretty quick job.

Nothing unusual here - you need to loosen the top of the 3 strut-top fixings, whilst holding the bottom end to prevent the whole fixing just spinning in the hole, reset the position, and tighten it all back up. This is relatively easy to do alone if you have the anatomy of a Gibbon, but @scotta was doing something else, so I volunteered to hold the spanner on the bottom end (hand deep in the inside of the strut tower), whilst Neil opted for the rattle gun up top.

Said StrongBroo Racing rattle gun is DeWalt's largest offering, and it provides considerable hammery goodness for longtime. Very aware of this I positioned the spanner so that - if it did spin - it would rest against the arch - I was just really holding the closed end onto the nut/bolt head - I'm not a total idiot. Unfortunately this activity left the spanner trapped in the turret, "locked" against the arch, and I couldn't remove it. Neil suggested he would back everything off slightly to allow its removal, but whilst any not totally stupid idiot would continue to keep all their digits out of the way during this process, I decided I would now hold the spanner to avoid it falling onto the tarmac. The first dugga of the rattle gun (of course) spun the spanner round and trapped my finger (against the spring I guess?), and in the time it took me to say "Oh - excuse me Neil, I do believe my finger is now trapped sir, and I'd be incredibly grateful if you could release the trigger of that power tool", a few more duggas had been delivered. Now the fixing had to be loosened again, as both my finger and the spanner were trapped. :roll:

All over very quickly, and 10 mins later whilst I was still moping around admiring my new finger-dent, Nef managed to somehow similarly impact one of his digits all on his own (not the same cause, but with a similar result). The fact he hasn't mentioned it might indicate he is somewhat less of a whiney beeatch however. :oops:
I - Of course - Offered my sincerest sympathy's in regards to the incident.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

The boy done good, eh? ;)
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Oh, and if it makes you feel any better Mik, I pretty regularly trap a finger doing *exactly* that job. Every time I make a mental note to, next time, turn the torque down on the rattle gun until the allen is positioned, *then* nip it up. I haven't actually remembered once.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

scotta wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:29 am
This is the way.
scotta

Post by scotta »

jamcg wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:48 pm
scotta wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:29 am
This is the way.
I didn’t even take my helmet off.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

^ Probably why Nef doesn't mention it any more, either that or he's done it so many times he's lost feeling and doesn't notice.
Is "break a finger" the spannerman's "break a leg"?
mik, you know now for next time :P