Helicopters

Poll ended at Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:06 pm

1. I'd NEVER get in a helicopter
No votes
2. I'd NEVER get in a helicopter *again*
No votes
3. I would 'copter, but only under duress/necessity
10%
4. I would go / have gone in a helicopter, but I am very wary/suspicious of their safety.
14%
5. I would go / have gone in a helicopter, but I am a little wary/suspicious of their safety.
19%
6. I'd happily go / have gone in a helicopter
29%
7. Helicopters are teh shizzle. Let me in.
14%
8. When I get rich I am defo getting a copter and my licence.
5%
9. When I get rich I will have a collection of copters that I will fly about in.
10%
10. Frankly, I prefer an argument. Helicopter related or otherwise.
No votes

Total votes: 21

dinny_g

Re: Choppers

Post by dinny_g »

Jesus H Christ!!! :o :shock:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

mik wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:10 pm
McSwede wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:04 pm
mik wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:57 am

More information / storytelling required here. :geek:
I was passenger in my cousin's new kit car (Caterham type) and we had a massive whoopsie. We spun across the road at a fair old speed, hit the concrete end of an Armco barrier and the car flipped end over end. Somehow on impact I hit the harness release and exited the car like Superman, went through a massive hawthorn bush and landed in a ditch, the car then landed on top of me. I can vaguely remember being under it and hearing/feeling people lift it off me. Next thing I remember was being in the air ambulance with suspected broken back/neck.

Luckily I only had scrapes and bruises and a few big thorns stuck in my head and body. Cousin stayed in the car but shattered a vertibrae on landing and was paralysed 🙁. I can remember being laid in the crash room at the hospital when they brought him in and hearing him talking about loss of feeling/sensation from the chest down.

I didn't know my name or where I'd been or any phone numbers so it was a few hours before our families knew where we were or what happened to us.
Wow :shock:

Did your cousin recover, or permanent paralysis? :?
Sadly not but he's living his best life as he is a very positive and determined person.

It was a crazy day!!
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

McSwede wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:04 pm
mik wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:57 am
McSwede wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:37 pm I've been in one once but was strapped to a back board being fiddled with by a paramedic 😂😂

I do remember it being a very smooth ride and landing 😁
More information / storytelling required here. :geek:
I was passenger in my cousin's new kit car (Caterham type) and we had a massive whoopsie. We spun across the road at a fair old speed, hit the concrete end of an Armco barrier and the car flipped end over end. Somehow on impact I hit the harness release and exited the car like Superman, went through a massive hawthorn bush and landed in a ditch, the car then landed on top of me. I can vaguely remember being under it and hearing/feeling people lift it off me. Next thing I remember was being in the air ambulance with suspected broken back/neck.

Luckily I only had scrapes and bruises and a few big thorns stuck in my head and body. Cousin stayed in the car but shattered a vertibrae on landing and was paralysed 🙁. I can remember being laid in the crash room at the hospital when they brought him in and hearing him talking about loss of feeling/sensation from the chest down.

I didn't know my name or where I'd been or any phone numbers so it was a few hours before our families knew where we were or what happened to us.
Wow, my mate had an accident years nearly 30 years ago where he rolled his Mk1 Astra and was thrown clear, also through a bush (gorse this time) and landed in more gorse bushes, he did break his back, although he wasn't paralysed. The conclusion was if he'd remained in the car he'd at least have been paralysed, more likely dead. He wasn't airlifted though.

As for choppers I've never been in one, I'm not really bothered by them either way and if needed would probably be fine travelling in one.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

@McSwede :shock: That's a bad one.
mik

Post by mik »

McSwede wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:25 pm
Sadly not but he's living his best life as he is a very positive and determined person.
Great that he’s remained positive, but that’s rough. :(
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Wow McSwede. I have a friend about my age who (before I knew her) ~20 years ago was living with her partner. He had recently bought a Caterham and went out for a Sunday drive. He never came home; he had had an accident on this short straight stretch of road, seemingly not involving anyone else, and died: https://goo.gl/maps/TdU7Y4znsS2h4hAj7
Definitely not a car you want to crash in.

I've been in a helicopter to the Isles of Scilly and back. The service from Penzance hasn't always been continuous and the choppers look smaller now, but it was fantastic - 32 passenger seats, IIRC, with all of the passengers' luggage in a pile at the front under a cargo net. I flew there the following year on the plane which was a 10 seater, though only passengers (one seat for the pilot and one used for luggage). The plane was definitely scarier.

We live close to a small airport at which there is a helicopter training school. Every now and again I see an absolute beginner about 5ft above the runway as I drive past, crabbing or rotating gently or otherwise ballsing up the sticks. Does not tempt me.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Didn't someone on this forum also get shunted in his Caterham (albeit wasn't injured). Lucky I got out alive! Watch out @speedingfine!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Blimey, what an awful crash!!!

Dave!
Marv

Post by Marv »

I booked the helicopter hike at the Franz Josef Glacier on the South Island of NZ many years ago.

It got cancelled because of fog.

That would have been my first time in a helicopter, haven't pursued it since.

Not sure how I feel about the risk, as they're something that if there is a problem, I guess there's a decent chance you won't survive? But then I ride motorbikes regularly and there's some risk involved in that (even if I am a cautious/slow rider, unfortunate accidents can and do happen)
Oui, je suis un motard.