Decent Recent TV

Beany

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by Beany »

I've not watched Adventure Time but I think I should.

Related, if you like that, you'll probably like Gravity Falls, which starts off as standard kids adventure of the week type affair with a mild cryptid twist, and ends up as Lovecraft Lite. I'm not even being hyperbolic. It's really very good.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Beany wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:35 pm I've not watched Adventure Time but I think I should.

Related, if you like that, you'll probably like Gravity Falls, which starts off as standard kids adventure of the week type affair with a mild cryptid twist, and ends up as Lovecraft Lite. I'm not even being hyperbolic. It's really very good.
Indeed you should, there's more than one bit of fridge horror thrown in that sailed straight past the kids (I hope) because it's bloodless. Annnd I've just stumbled back into a thousand pages of TVtropes on Adventure Time...

Gravity Falls, yes, has been recommended by many too.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Beany wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:35 pm I've not watched Adventure Time but I think I should.
"I remember you"

Just. Brilliant.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Re-watching Breaking Bad as a follow up to Better Call Saul, and also because it’s around 10 years since I lost watched it.

It’s absolutely fantastic, I’d forgotten how terrifyingly tense each episode can be.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I finished Better Call Saul last night, preferred it to BB and its nice how it ties everything up. The characters seem more clever in BCS and more likeable.
How about not having a sig at all?
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Cyberpunk: Edgerunners.

Don't think I've ever watched any Anime, but actually enjoyed this - great ending, great music.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:43 pm I finished Better Call Saul last night, preferred it to BB and its nice how it ties everything up. The characters seem more clever in BCS and more likeable.
Funnily enough I finished Better Caul Saul just last week. Enjoyed all the backstory to Breaking Bad. Now, shall I watch BB again...?
Left over crest; tightens.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Bad Sisters on Apple TV is brilliant, although the controlling POS husband is written and played so well that he's creeped my wife out to the point where she can't watch it. Check it out though, its great and is more black humour from Sharon Horgan.

Not watched Andor yet, but She Hulk is good, throwaway fun, just as its intended. Just don't focus too much on the CGI and you'll be grand.
Cheers,

Mike.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Anyone watching Dahmer on Netflix?

Watched three episodes last night. I’m not normally disturbed by stuff on TV but it’s some fucked up shit :lol:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

240PP wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:58 pm Anyone watching Dahmer on Netflix?

Watched three episodes last night. I’m not normally disturbed by stuff on TV but it’s some fucked up shit :lol:
I'd heard it was pretty messed up (as it would be obvs) and that a lot of people didn't even make it through the 1st ep, let along more. Don't know what that says about you :lol:
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

JonMad wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:56 am
Mito Man wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:43 pm I finished Better Call Saul last night, preferred it to BB and its nice how it ties everything up. The characters seem more clever in BCS and more likeable.
Funnily enough I finished Better Caul Saul just last week. Enjoyed all the backstory to Breaking Bad. Now, shall I watch BB again...?
I'd recommend it. I'd never re-watched a long series like BB, however I'm really enjoying it, because it's simply a great piece of TV and follows perfectly on from BCS.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

House of the Dragon.

It's just a bit, dull. I'm a big fan of GoT, but this doesn't seem to have any of the bite. I don't really care about any of the characters, the acting is wooden and every scene just seems a convenient step to the next scene and nothing more.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Wathced episode 1 after reading this thread and tbh it wasn't too bad. Given the subject matter, it's obviously going to be pretty damn creepy and it definitely achieved that.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Gavster wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:39 pm

Wathced episode 1 after reading this thread and tbh it wasn't too bad. Given the subject matter, it's obviously going to be pretty damn creepy and it definitely achieved that.
Watched it all yesterday, utterly over hyped and nowhere near as disturbing as say, Silence of the Lambs. They barely touched on the detail of what he did, could easily have been 5 hours shorter.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I found Dahmer excellent and compelling. Particularly the Tony episode. I’d rather they didn’t glorify his crimes and I think they pitched it just right.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Rewatching Breaking Bad and I’m surprised by how much of a liability Jesse is. He wouldn’t have made it past series 3 in real life. He seems to be the source of almost all of Walt’s issues and Gus would have taken a chance on killing him for sure.
mik

Post by mik »

Gavster wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:35 pm Rewatching Breaking Bad and I’m surprised by how much of a liability Jesse is.
I’m doing the same at the moment - not yet finished S2, but it’s amusing to re-watch. 8-)
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Dammit, I"m really going to have to rewatch BB now
Left over crest; tightens.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Two very good documentaries watched recently:

Won't you be my Neighbor on sky documentaries and also on Prime.

I knew who Mr Rogers was but didn't really know anything about him and after the recent Tom Hanks film *Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (which is brilliant by the way) , I thought I'd check this out. He really was a pretty amazing man, bringing children through some difficult stuff (The piece after Bobby Kennedy was shot when he explained, through a puppet, what "Assassination" meant was sobering) in a way that would not be accepted now. I think modern cynicism would not trust a person like that anymore which is pretty sad really

9 "Minutes thinking about someone who loved you into being" out of 10

Race of the Century on Netflix

Documentary about the 1983 Americas Cup yacht race where a rag tag bunch of Aussie "Blokes" took down the stuffy New York Yacht Club, who had hadn't lost in 132 years.

I'm not a boating person but if you like a good underdog story and like seeing the establishment taken down a peg or two, this is great

8 secret wing keels out of 10
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

mik wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:41 pm
Gavster wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:35 pm Rewatching Breaking Bad and I’m surprised by how much of a liability Jesse is.
I’m doing the same at the moment - not yet finished S2, but it’s amusing to re-watch. 8-)
It’s aged really well, considering S1 is nearly 15 years old.