HM ERII

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Re: HM ERII

Post by Gavster »

It’s sad that she’s died, she’s been a permanent and unwavering fixture in our lives, for such a long time, my dad was born one year after her coronation. Also respect her relentless dedication to her work.

For all she’s done I think this is her best work

ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Very sad day indeed. To think of not seeing her on the news in those cheerful and colourful outfits (don’t seem to remember ever seeing her in grey) is really quite depressing. RIP, a proper lady.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

What’s even weirder will be Charles’ noggin on stamps and coins
Beany

Post by Beany »

Gavster wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:35 pm What’s even weirder will be Charles’ noggin on stamps and coins
how the fuck will they fit the ears on smaller coins, and stamps?

(yeah, I stole that, bite me)
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

A proper lady. The country will never have another figurehead like her.

RIP Queenie
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Gavster wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:13 pm For all she’s done I think this is her best work

+1
Even if I did vote for a republic. Much respect to QE2 for her humanity and humour.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Gavster wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:35 pm What’s even weirder will be Charles’ noggin on stamps and coins
All senior barristers are no longer QCs. There are going to be a lot of weird changes which take some time to get used to.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Just discovered the Tour of Britain has been ended early - the day in Gloucestershire tomorrow and remaining two stages on Sat and Sun have been cancelled.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

It's been a little surreal watching it all unfold here today while you're all asleep. Jacinda's formal statement made mention in the Q&A afterwards that she was awoken by a Policeman with a torch at 5:30 this morning - I wonder whether there's a formal way of passing the news onto heads of state that was being taken into account which contributed to the few hours of speculation and sitting around wondering.

NZ's obviously one of the realm's over which she reigned, but it's funny being here in a country where Britain represents significant hurt and pain for a lot of the more native cultures in this part of their world during the colonisation period. It's not universal love by any means for Britain or the Royals but I have only seen two people here all day say anything negative about her. She ruled over a country during a period where a lot of harm was done by it, but also did so in a way which makes it incredibly difficult not to find deep seated respect.

Her integrity, work ethic and graciousness, throughout everything she's seen and done is beyond peerless. If the whole world could have 5% more of her attitude to service and dignity it would be a much better place.

I'm not one to try and write people off before they've had chance to make their mark, but it's almost impossible to see how rule under a Monarch could get better from here - the best you could hope for is a steady hand and living up to her legacy. It will also now be interesting to see how many of the realms start to think about seeking independence.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

5:30am in NZ is 6:30pm over here so it doesn’t sound like she was informed until the palace’s statement was made public. That’s odd though maybe they let her sleep.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Apparently Truss was told at 4.30pm. I'm wondering if the Privy Council members were all told early.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

It is a sea change in all our lives I suppose, even just with different head on coins, QCs being presumably KCs.

I am no Royalist as I am sure nobody will be surprised by but if you had to have a monarch it would have been ER.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Black ties were out on the bbc at 130pm. It was obvious then she probably died in the morning.
Beany

Post by Beany »

In case anyone was wondering, the anti-royal/UK memescape has been, understandably, pretty fucking incredible.

I'll let you search it out yourself.

For now.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Beany wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:44 am In case anyone was wondering, the anti-royal/UK memescape has been, understandably, pretty fucking incredible.

For now.
Attention seeking. Best ignored.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, I’ve been quiet here but twitter has been a treat.
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

It's been quite entertaining.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Broccers wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:52 am
Beany wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:44 am In case anyone was wondering, the anti-royal/UK memescape has been, understandably, pretty fucking incredible.

For now.
Attention seeking. Best ignored.
Enough about you. Be respectful.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

My brothers started sending round the meme's on our WhatsApp group about 5 minutes after the announcement :roll:

I left the chat - can't be dealing with that.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…