DYELM?

Motorbikes vs cars

Poll ended at Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:23 am

1. I am motorbike. Cars are great and all that, but secondary.
4%
2. I am into bikes and cars pretty much equally.
6%
3. I have one or more bikes. But my true passion is 4-wheeled.
No votes
4. I want a bike, but funds have always gone to cars instead.
4%
5. I have an interest in bikes, but it's always going to be cars for me
36%
6. Bikes will never be for me. For reasons.
15%
7. Bikes scare me.
4%
8. Bikes are the work of teh devil
No votes
A. ShockDiamonds should get the bike he wants
19%
B. ShockDiamonds doesn't want the bike he thinks he wants. I know what he should get instead.
11%

Total votes: 47

mik

DYELM?

Post by mik »

Lots of forum motorbikers.

Everyone gets two votes, to allow them to vote 1-8, and to ALSO answer question A or B.
ZedLeg

Re: DYLM?

Post by ZedLeg »

There must surely be an overly expensive doom blue BMW motorbike for shockers to lose a shitload on?
An absolute unit
Barry

Re: DYELM?

Post by Barry »

I like both but it became obvious a long time ago that bikes offer more accessible performance/value for me. They offer very different experiences too, so I don't really compare the two other than for comedy/trolling.

I drove Coasters GT3 at the weekend, and this is the level of car I'd want if I was to fully indulge. I think it's a little outside of my comfort zone though, cost wise.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I love the design, the engineering etc but never held a licence and don't plan to.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I love the engineering in bikes, and the way there is so little which can feasibly be altered while still functioning properly yet somehow the designers can still make pieces of art. I was intending to get my licence when I was about 20 but after being pillion on one, I just didn't want to any longer. 40mph on a pedal bike is plenty fast enough for me.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

My bike is all you would ever need (apparently) - watch this vid of same one from BVG.

Older tech just like my car - like them both but the car really is more easy to live with day to day.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I really like the idea of a bike, but never got round to doing anything about it, probably never will.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

You can't post that video and not post the one where he takes it down a green lane -
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I was hoping to get my license this year, but too many other things and funds getting diverted elsewhere getting in the way. Would still like to do it before I get too old.

Cars will always be favourite, but some bikes are lovely objects and I’d like to experience riding.
Cheers, Harry
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:32 am There must surely be an overly expensive doom blue BMW motorbike for shockers to lose a shitload on?
Of course:
2022-08-31 11_45_07-BMW Motorrad configurator - all models, colours, packages and prices.jpg
2022-08-31 11_45_07-BMW Motorrad configurator - all models, colours, packages and prices.jpg (121.92 KiB) Viewed 1263 times
Kids have got in the way of riding much recently but I still have the Ducati Monster I bought 13 years ago(!) after taking my test. Despite having wheels and an engine, bikes offer something totally different to driving cars.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:49 am You can't post that video and not post the one where he takes it down a green lane
He said he'll go back and tackle the green lane again too 😆
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Fab, I'm looking forward to watching the new one. Might be a bit easier after this dry spell!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

simon_g wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:49 am
ZedLeg wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:32 am There must surely be an overly expensive doom blue BMW motorbike for shockers to lose a shitload on?
Of course:

2022-08-31 11_45_07-BMW Motorrad configurator - all models, colours, packages and prices.jpg
That's the most middle aged looking bike I've ever seen. Ideal for SD :lol:
An absolute unit
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Interest is in achieving another skill, plus the engineering is more accessible somehow.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

I've ridden rental scooters a couple of times on holiday, including almost a full day of riding one around an island in Croatia last year, but it never really clicked and felt natural to me. I do quite like some motorbikes as objects but don't think I'd ever really want to learn to ride them.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Similar to Pete. I've shat myself riding a scooter round a small bit of Thailand at low speed. Like the look of bikes but no desire to get on one. An eBike might be as far as I go.
Left over crest; tightens.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I used to ride crossers when I was a kid but that was more in the "hoodlums terrorise local community" daily mail headline way :lol:

I've seriously considered getting my license and a bike several times but never quite get round to it.
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Also in the like bikes as an object category but never really appealed much more than that for me to pursue it.
Also I reckon I’d be shit at it and I wouldn’t want to be mediocre and not fully in control of something like that.

Most people can sit in a car and drive pretty competently at say 90% + but that envelope on a bike would be knees almost scraping the tarmac with your body hanging off the bike as you hold on for dear life - no thank you :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:58 am Most people can sit in a car and drive pretty competently at say 90% + but that envelope on a bike would be knees almost scraping the tarmac with your body hanging off the bike as you hold on for dear life - no thank you :lol:
Riding a motorbike fast on a track is one of the best things ever in life.