FAO bikers

ShockDiamonds

FAO bikers

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Anybody got any idea whether any bike mags have done a buyers guide on the ST1300 Pan-European please? I know Bike did a feature in August 2002 when it was new, but a pre-owned feature is what I’m after really. Yes it’s for me, will be a 50th present for myself.
ShockDiamonds

Re: FAO bikers

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Ride magazine, March 2015
mik

Post by mik »

It’s pretty quiet in here now, so if there are any other questions you’d like to ask, and subsequently answer yourself @ShockDiamonds , just fire them up ;)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Kind of off topic but happened to that chap that scanned every car mag ever? Is he still doing the 12 months posting and 12 months disappearing in the Caribbean thing?
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

Mike the scan? He’s still on Twitter, but didn’t join ov9.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Possible stupid question - but do you have a bike licence already ? If not, although you can technically ride one of those the moment you pass your DAS, it's a leap. And if you do have a licence, when was the last time you rode a motorbike ? And what was it ? An ST1300 is *big*.

I have a Bandit 600 sat in the garage that I've not ridden for (erk) 16 years, I keep talking about resurrecting it but my wife seems to think I should do some kind of refresher training course before she'll let me out on the road :roll: A 600 is a learner bike....
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

No such thing as a stupid question. Wife has been dead against me having a bike for years but long story short we’ve agree I’ll do it for my 50th. She still hates the idea but recognises I want to do it. Yes will be a first bike, but based on advice I’m informed they are relatively benign and focused on efficiency and therefore are seen by some as quite dull. They’re even available in doom blue… Sounds perfect so on this occasion, this is happening. May opt to spend a month or so on a 125 first but you lot in the past have guffawed at that suggestion.

I’m only going to potter around between here and Burford anyway. It’s not like I’ll be hanging my arse out and scraping my knee at any given opportunity.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I haven't ridden a bike for 15 years but that's a massive machine. Even handling bikes and moving them around is a bit of a skill.

A 500 twin will feel quick and a used one won't depreciate over a few months whilst you pick up some experience..
Barry

Post by Barry »

Pan is a big bike for a novice, as others have said. The motor, while super friendly, is still a big lump and easily capable of getting you in trouble quickly. Do your DAS on the 500 or whatnot and take it from there, before deciding?

PS All Pans are pretty bullet proof I believe, other than usual Honda reg/rec stuff..
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:22 pm No such thing as a stupid question.
I think we will let TEH INTERNETS be the judge of that ;)

...they are relatively benign and focused on efficiency and therefore are seen by some as quite dull...
On the move, no doubt, but you need to be comfortable manoeuvring it at low speed too, it's a new skill, and even just getting it in & out of the garage/driveway will be a bit of a PITA. Big bike ! They don't have a reverse gear. If you drop it you'll have a heck of a time picking it up.

...this is happening. May opt to spend a month or so on a 125 first but you lot in the past have guffawed at that suggestion.
a) I've absolutely no issue with people doing their bike test, it's a good thing, it's another skill and another angle on roadcraft, arguably people should be required to do it before having a car so they have some understanding of more vulnerable road users. So crack on and get the training booked.

b) 125s are s**t, do not buy one, do not even rent one, just use whatever POS the CBT course provides you with and then forget about it. Ugh.

c) DAS is probably done on a 500/600 bike ? It was a CB500 when I did mine but that was 20 years ago. Erk (as previous post).

d) Having done the DAS training and got your licence you'll have a much better idea of stuff. You might even find you don't like it. It's all cool. But please wait until *after* you have your licence before you buy a bike.
Marv

Post by Marv »

To give the flipside to what SJ is saying about 125s, I happen to still own the 125 I bought when learning to ride, and still thoroughly enjoy riding it! It's super light, agile and friendly. It requires a different approach to riding heavier bikes. Whizzing around on it requires perfecting the art of maintaining momentum. Riding it at 40mph feels like 100mph.

I guess different people get different things out of riding motorbikes...
Oui, je suis un motard.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

My uncle just bought a brand new 125 to pop to the shops on and he has a couple of very big, powerful BMW bikes, a tourer and a naked sports bike of some sort.

He loves the litle 125, a Honda of some sort, not sure which.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

The only issue I had when doing my CBT several years was hill starts. Low speed manoeuvring was ok but I do get the point about it being a big lump and hence can be something of a pain. Weight is low down though which apparently helps.

Thing is, I have no interest in anything sporty. I know the Pan can be ridden more energetically than other bikes but having sat on one it just feels ‘right’ in terms of my height etc. I’ve fancied a Harley previously but they’re just too expensive and I know if (when) I drop it I’ll get all precious about it. Finding a smart but a lot cheaper ST is therefore what I’ve decided to do.

Recommendations for helmets and clothing also gratefully received. Budget is about £6k overall if can and expecting to pay as much for the bike as I do the clothing. And insurance I’ll fund separately…will probably have to sell a bitcoin or two to pay for that…

Edit, and yes I’ll be getting the licence then getting the bike.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

The folk who love the 125s must be slender little midgets :D

I'm 6'4" and about 100kg. Not only do I look ridiculous on one, but a mild incline means 40mph tops and a queue of annoyed cars behind me !
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I know absolutely nothing about motorbikes but even I can tell that’s a mahooosive bike and this will all end in “very low speed, very high cost, dropping” of said bike followed by sale for big loss

Sorry SD - that’s total folly
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Barry

Post by Barry »

Sundayjumper wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:04 pm The folk who love the 125s must be slender little midgets :D

I'm 6'4" and about 100kg. Not only do I look ridiculous on one, but a mild incline means 40mph tops and a queue of annoyed cars behind me !
I'm 6' and about 85kgs and I'd still look ridiculous on a 125. Doesn't stop me wanting one for just c0cking about on 😆
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:52 pm Budget is about £6k overall
That would get you a nice eMTB and gear.
tim

Post by tim »

:popcorn:
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

A mate of mine had a zxr400 a bit back - I'd always wanted one - it was absolutely tiny. For a 50 something little bikes are probably a no - no.

If you want a 125 buy a DT125 two stroke and you won't lose any money.

For the larger thing - hmm sounds like a really bad idea :lol: A Gs of some sort? Or the type of bikes Barry has which are sensible :)
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Broccers wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:05 pm
If you want a 125 buy a DT125 two stroke and you won't lose any money.
Old Skool or do they still make them? They were a bit of a daddy for a student BITD.

Always had a hankering for an Aprilla AF-1 or Cagiva Mito myself (never fancied a big bike) but I would also probably look daft on one.

I see scooters are making a comeback at the moment too.