Insights on Ferrari's & Aston Martin's Q1 Results

SSO

Insights on Ferrari's & Aston Martin's Q1 Results

Post by SSO »

I just posted up an article on Ferrari's Q1 2022 results:

https://karenable.com/ferraris-q1-2022/

it was a bit of a financial enema after digging through the financial excrement that was Aston Martin's Q1:

https://karenable.com/the-turtle-aston- ... 2-results/

Comments?
dinny_g

Re: Insights on Ferrari's & Aston Martin's Q1 Results

Post by dinny_g »

I don't claim to understand the details of this but the overall picture is clear - Chalk and cheese - Ferrari going from strength to strength and Aston going for the Bin.

As someone who lives in Newport Pagnell, it's pretty sad to see
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
SSO

Post by SSO »

dinny_g wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:33 pm I don't claim to understand the details of this but the overall picture is clear - Chalk and cheese - Ferrari going from strength to strength and Aston going for the Bin.

As someone who lives in Newport Pagnell, it's pretty sad to see
An 8th bankruptcy for Aston Martin does seem quite possible now.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Yes quite right I guess...

I remember visiting the Factory in Gaydon and taking the tour - around the time the Vanquish was still being hand made on Tickford Street and the DB9 and V8 Vantage were being made in Gaydon. I remember thinking how modern and cutting edge it all looked. The One Production Line capable of making different cars at the same time, the logistics delivering the right parts etc. It really looked like Aston were finally dragging themselves into the 21st century

In the end though, I think their ultimate demise will be for pure motoring reasons. They are too reliant on Image and the Bond Connections when in truth, their rivals are always Faster, Cheaper, more Modern, more Cutting Edge. They may have dragged their production methods into the 21st century but just not the product.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

More recently the v8 vantage and db9 sold well because they were pretty. The replacements weren’t. Then the dynamics pace and price come into it and people start to concentrate on “flaws” instead of “character”. Like how old alfas are unreliable as hell but people put up with it because pretty
SSO

Post by SSO »

jamcg wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:07 pm More recently the v8 vantage and db9 sold well because they were pretty. The replacements weren’t. Then the dynamics pace and price come into it and people start to concentrate on “flaws” instead of “character”. Like how old alfas are unreliable as hell but people put up with it because pretty
Agree that they do have a major design issue today that they did not have in the past.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

dinny_g wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:10 am In the end though, I think their ultimate demise will be for pure motoring reasons. They are too reliant on Image and the Bond Connections when in truth, their rivals are always Faster, Cheaper, more Modern, more Cutting Edge. They may have dragged their production methods into the 21st century but just not the product.
Maybe, but how do you separate the factors of late/non delivery of Valkyrie/Valhalla/DBX/RapidE, and the financial shenanigans of pumping stock and robbing future development funds to firefight current issues from the designs not being particularly attractive?

The "what might have been" question had AMLs future now present not been sacrificed to support that short term now long past gain?