Drugs, (and absurd job updates)

Beany

Re: Drugs, (and absurd job updates)

Post by Beany »

Sounds so familiar! Good to hear that they're taking it seriously though; if they need more resources, it's better to hire temp staff (on the understanding that it's a six month bug hunt before golden master) and perhaps keep some on who are a good cultural fit etc, than to grind your good staff into the dirt and have them leave.

M'colleague was made a counter offer and was pressured into accepting it there and then (which he took as a red flag, rightly) - he did he'd need to think about it.

The CEO is a manipulator of people and is very good at it, so m'colleague had gone from leave/stay 70/30 after being 'sold the dream' (pay match, 'loyalty' bonus, manage his division entirely, staff etc), to now, after thinking about it and picking out even more red flags, to fully back to leaving.

That he's thinking he'll have to word his refusal very carefully is, of course, another massive red flag.

Kind of glad I'm so undervalued that I don't have to deal with that shit.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Beany wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:36 am
That he's thinking he'll have to word his refusal very carefully is, of course, another massive red flag.
I’m not very corporately minded, but why does his refusal need to be any more complicated than “no thank you” ? And if the counter offer was only verbal (I'm guessing here, but it fits, it would give the CEO space to “forget” some of the details further down the line) then the refusal only need be verbal too.

End of the day, your guy has accepted a much better offer, current CEO has zero leverage.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Oh, it's standard to be very careful how your disagree with the CEO to avoid getting screamed at, blamed for everything, threatened with legal action (that many people don't realise are entirely baseless) etc

Almost everyone in this company has something akin to battered wife syndrome. I was speaking to a friend who suffered pretty extreme emotional abuse from a partner, and most things I brought up she had an example from that relationship that was comparable.

I'm not joking when I say that I'm glad I'm so undervalued that I've not had to deal with this because the CEO genuinely thinks I'm of no worth to the company.
John

Post by John »

davecG60 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:52 pm
Exactly ! "Treat others as you'd want to treated " (or something like that).
We've seen plenty of managers come in to the building shouting and swearing at staff / cancelling holidays at short notice/ sending reserve Posties to a different office at the last minute only to be told " soz it's your day off" and then wonder why they get nothing in return. Treat people with a bit of respect and you'll get so much more in return.
I can remember asking for a Saturday off about 9 months in advance. The then manager didn't even look at their diary, they just said "No, we've can't cover it". The week before my pre-booked holiday the same Manager came up and said (every day) we may have to cancel your leave as we have nobody to cover your duty. They made a point of saying it to me every single day. Not the best thing to deal when I've a history of Anxiety etc ! The day before my holiday started he came up again and said they may have to cancel my holiday and get me to come in, and then went off laughing.
It may only be a "small" thing to some folk but it's a huge thing to me. I remember expecting a call from the Manager every day and what I would say if they called. Simple lack of respect and not knowing your staff.

PS congrats on the new job - sounds like a shit show working at the old place.
There's a reason Royal Mail shop floor managers never seem to move on to other businesses in a managerial role.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, that'll be similar for some 'managers' in here where their only management skill is saying 'yes sir' to the CEO and MD, and then go on to cause chaos trying to achieve those goals rather than, for example, saying 'that's not possible in that timescale' or 'we don't have the resources to do that without negatively impacting the business in other ways'

You know, what actual management entails.

It's literally why I do three roles, and m'colleague does more like five.

If they move on to somewhere like a bank or a supermarket in an equivalent resource controlling position, they'll not last thier probation period because they won't actually understand how to do basic human resource management.

Some of them have been there for near a decade. And they'll be back to 'basic bitch' work....and pay.

Oh well, what a shame, never mind.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Beany wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:28 am Oh, it's standard to be very careful how your disagree with the CEO to avoid getting screamed at, blamed for everything, threatened with legal action (that many people don't realise are entirely baseless) etc
Only if you’re planning on keeping your job ! Your guy should wait until his next pay packet is in his bank account and then simply go AWOL for the rest of his notice period.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Nah, like me he's running a tight ship so skipping a couple of weeks pay would be a serious problem.

Otherwise I'd have given less notice and done the same and I'd now be having two weeks off...
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

1st interview went well, but then you never really know! Will be very tempted of offered the job, great company to work for, which is more important to me than just the dosh.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Excellent stuff!

I just wanged my bio off for todays company newsletter at the new place, they love it. I won't share it because I was cringing enough at describing myself to them, never mind you lot. They love it, apparently.

Still haven't handed off NOC duties here, nor have the senior account managers had a meeting about who'll be doing the BAU stuff after I leave, despite the fact I'm intermittently training some people in that task already.

Fucking lunacy.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

Not my circus, not my monkeys....
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Beany wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:31 am Still haven't handed off NOC duties here, nor have the senior account managers had a meeting about who'll be doing the BAU stuff after I leave...
And how many days do you have left ?
Beany

Post by Beany »

This time next week is my last day....
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Excellent 8-)
Beany

Post by Beany »

I'm fully expecting to get in shit for four years of platform management to not have been engrained in the other staff in the space of two weeks, but honestly the number of fucks I could give that this point in deep in the negative numbers.

Given that the MD himself has chased me to do this BAU work when I've been off on annual leave (hence why I stopped bothering taking it - I ended up doing about four hours every day I was off), off sick (including when I had a fever with COVID), evneings, weekends etc you'd think he'd realise that the resources were being mismanaged....by him.

Not. My. Circus.

Not. My. Monkeys.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I do hope this new place is the revelation you deserve mate - not all companies are like this shit show you're at. Just make sure you go in positive and stay positive - forget all this crap - don't bring any of it with you.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, I'm well aware that the current place is uniquely bad, even by the standards of someone whose last employer sacked them the day after thier fathers funeral.

Literally nothing could be worse than the current place. Literally. Nothing.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Brilliantly, I've tweaked my back again. As usual, doing nothing interesting.

I think I might be finishing early today.

Oh well, what a shame, never mind.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Despite this being a perfect opportunity for my colleagues to test how they'd survive without me (and, you know, I've taken the afternoon off sick, so shouldn't be contacting me anyway) I got called for something incredibly basic that the staffer should have known.

And should have known three years ago, about a week after they started. A thing that anyone in the office (almost literally, perhaps not the cleaner) could have checked for them. Genuinely that basic.

But instead, they called me, when I'm off sick, four days before I leave.

Something something circus, something something monkeys.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Wonder how many calls you’ll get in 5 days time? :lol:
Beany

Post by Beany »

At this stage I'm tempted to just flat out block all contact methods with them come 1630hrs Friday...
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Beany wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:25 am At this stage I'm tempted to just flat out block all contact methods with them come 1630hrs Friday...
ffs Beany, why "tempted"?!!? these people are cunts that have made you miserable. Block their number and move on with your life. Stop being a victim.