Drugs, (and absurd job updates)

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Drugs, (and absurd job updates)

Post by Rich B »

Beany wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:14 am New starter yesterday.

They decided to hire, in an office fully of sweary, bolshy gobshites, a quiet conservative muslim lad.

Had him up to speed on basic routing by yesterday afternoon, doing some basic mappings/showing him more advanced stuff. Quite a nice lad, he seemed to get getting it pretty well...

...he's quit today, got made a better offer. Or, he saw completely through the job spec, as to what the job actually is (glorified data entry was all he was going to be doing mostly - they didn't want him doing sysadmin stuff, which is good as he didn't have the skillset for it) and decided he could do better.

It's almost like this place don't know how to hire for technical roles.

Not my circus, not my monkeys....
So they've tried to get someone cheap and it's backfired. good people will be on 1 month+ notice, looks like they're going to have a hole to fill. Oh well.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Don't loose your resolve Beany...

If they come back with an offer - even a ludicrously large one - don't be tempted by the Devil you know.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Rich B wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:50 am ....looks like they're going to have a hole to fill.
:shock:

I'm sure Beany can do the honours, in entirely smutty metaphorical ways.
Beany

Post by Beany »

dinny_g wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:53 am Don't loose your resolve Beany...

If they come back with an offer - even a ludicrously large one - don't be tempted by the Devil you know.
Goodness no.

I'll be plenty busy enough with the new job, I literally won't have time to do anything out of hours for this lot.

Genuinely, it just can't happen.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Doesn't matter if your new job told you to work 10-10.15 and call it a day. You choose not to help them out because they've done nothing to deserve it.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Beany

Post by Beany »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:57 am Doesn't matter if your new job told you to work 10-10.15 and call it a day. You choose not to help them out because they've done nothing to deserve it.
Precisely.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Beany wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:28 am
dinny_g wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:53 am Don't loose your resolve Beany...

Goodness no.

I'll be plenty busy enough with the new job, I literally won't have time to do anything out of hours for this lot.

Genuinely, it just can't happen.
No I was thinking if they offered you double salary to stay etc... Seems like they're in a massive bind and you're the only way out.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Beany

Post by Beany »

They'd never offer that - and I'd never accept it.

The money is problematic, but the working conditions are the main problem.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Senior operational colleague has been made an offer within an hour of interviewing - I'm ecstatic for him.

We are Agents of Chaos.

Another colleague has an interview next week.

I'm fucking loving this.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Can we call you renaicence Beany ?

Dave!
Beany

Post by Beany »

V8Granite wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:06 pm Can we call you renaicence Beany ?

Dave!
You can call me a space cowboy if you like.

Colleagues resignation in - last thing of the day. Cat, meet pigeons.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Is this a case where employees are underpaid despite management and owners coining it in, or is this just a badly run business that doesn't make enough money to pay people properly?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Beany wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:23 pm
V8Granite wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:06 pm Can we call you renaicence Beany ?

Dave!
You can call me a space cowboy if you like.
“Some call me the gangster of love”

“No, they don’t Steven”
Beany

Post by Beany »

Simon wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:26 pm Is this a case where employees are underpaid despite management and owners coining it in, or is this just a badly run business that doesn't make enough money to pay people properly?
It's currently the former, likely soon to be the latter at this rate :lol:
Beany

Post by Beany »

I'm genuinely over the moon for m'colleague, though - he's probably the only person in that company with an end of the stick as short as mine.

Something I don't say lightly, and why I helped rewrite his CV and pushed him to apply for the role he has just got, entirely within his own merits, after 45 mins of what was meant to be a 15 mins 'getting to know you' primary interview.

I was kept in the loop in real time as his day progressed, the only other people who knew were his wife and his brother in law (who also works with us, and who I'm pushing to look around too). So yes, I helped a lot and today's theatrics were my reward.

He's runs ops for five divisions - and the CEO thinks he does nothing.

The CEO is going to be educated on how much he does tomorrow by his family members (nepotism) and will likely try to counter offer. But...

...m'colleague isn't money driven. He's driven by the fact that his new employer have said that if he needs time off for his depression and suspected ADHD (which he'll be able to afford an independent assessment for soon) that he can take as much time as he needs.

That's worth more than money. That is basic human respect. And he absolutely deserves it because he is shit hot at what he does.

Although thier offer is very competitive, to boot. I was actually genuinely surprised by it, but upon thinking about it account management/retention/upsell is a pretty hard core customer service role to do well (and he does, despite the terrible resources he had to hand) so it's entirely reasonable. And significantly more than, never mind what he is on, what I'm on, currently. Which says it all really.

This is going to be an utter shitsorm and neither of us can wait.

Chaos, thy name is Beany 8-)
Beany

Post by Beany »

They've given up on trying to hire someone to do the BAU days entry side of the job, and now want me to train the account managers on it.

A significant proportion of whom couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time without tripping up and choking.

I've warned management that's risky, but they recognise there's no other way.

Oh, this is to happen in three next two weeks :lol:
davecG60

Post by davecG60 »

Beany wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:11 pm
...m'colleague isn't money driven. He's driven by the fact that his new employer have said that if he needs time off for his depression and suspected ADHD (which he'll be able to afford an independent assessment for soon) that he can take as much time as he needs.

That's worth more than money. That is basic human respect. And he absolutely deserves it because he is shit hot at what he does.
Exactly ! "Treat others as you'd want to treated " (or something like that).
We've seen plenty of managers come in to the building shouting and swearing at staff / cancelling holidays at short notice/ sending reserve Posties to a different office at the last minute only to be told " soz it's your day off" and then wonder why they get nothing in return. Treat people with a bit of respect and you'll get so much more in return.
I can remember asking for a Saturday off about 9 months in advance. The then manager didn't even look at their diary, they just said "No, we've can't cover it". The week before my pre-booked holiday the same Manager came up and said (every day) we may have to cancel your leave as we have nobody to cover your duty. They made a point of saying it to me every single day. Not the best thing to deal when I've a history of Anxiety etc ! The day before my holiday started he came up again and said they may have to cancel my holiday and get me to come in, and then went off laughing.
It may only be a "small" thing to some folk but it's a huge thing to me. I remember expecting a call from the Manager every day and what I would say if they called. Simple lack of respect and not knowing your staff.

PS congrats on the new job - sounds like a shit show working at the old place.
Cockwobble
Barry

Post by Barry »

Just be the bigger man and get through it Beans, it'll be a distant memory soon.

And at least your place hasn't had literal articles written about it's management.. :lol:

https://www.polygon.com/features/228915 ... t-tt-games

https://www.fanbyte.com/features/more-t ... ga-report/
Beany

Post by Beany »

I hadn't seen those reports, but I do worry about crunch. But I also don't want to bring it up with your because i know that culturally people have very different views on it. You can imagine my perspective.

I mean, it's better than the headlines EA and Ubisoft have had written about them.....
Barry

Post by Barry »

It's mostly old news, the Flexi/overtime rules are very strict now, so you can't even accidentally do more than a few hours a week extra. I can't sanction OT without permission from the project lead now either. New bosses, different mentality etc. We have lost a lot of staff in recent years though, and plenty of them unhappy..