What's wrong with yours?

Nefarious

What's wrong with yours?

Post by Nefarious »

My lot seem to be having their time of the month again - why do they all seem to always break at the same time? :roll:

Jag - excessive float in the diff. Needs rebuilding. Three week queue with the gearbox man. Plus I don't have access to a ramp anywhere that I can leave the car for the week it'll take for the rebuild. Gotta figure out the logistics of moving the car around sans-diff. Oh, and the washer pump is away too, and there's a phantom electrical fault with the rear lights.
Disco - Water pump failure. Got the new one sitting in a box, but need to find the time to fit it
Clio - wiper motor failure. Exacerbated by the fact I broke the N/S wiper arm while inspecting the problem. Waiting for parts to be delivered.
TVR - Heater matrix is leaking slightly which makes the windscreen steam up. Wouldn't be massively difficult to fix if they hadn't hidden it in a stupid location behind the passenger footwell. Needs fibreglass cutting to get it out. Bonnet catch is fucked too (won't lock into the closed position), but at the moment, I can't quite figure why.
Westfield - Some starting issues. Just fixed a long-standing ECU problem (stuck on the cold-start map, throttle un-synced), but it still only wants to start of 2 cylinders. Oh, and there's a 0.5A parasitic loss on the electrical system somewhere. I've checked it and its not on any of the fused circuits, so I might just have to fit a cut-off switch as a work-around.
Ray - Not strictly broken as such, but usual long list of jobs to do - Rocker cover gasket, starter motor solanoid, brake bleed/pedal reposition, clutch adjustment, wing mirror mounting, rewire datalogger, refurb throttle linkage on carb, full geo set-up etc etc.

So, what's wrong with yours?
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
RobYob

Re: What's wrong with yours?

Post by RobYob »

E39 has been getting a progressively worse hot idle/pullaway problem which makes it a pig to drive (letting the clutch in under 1500rpm results on a stall) which t'internet suggests is anything from worn plugs to catastrophic Vanos failure. Cold start was fine up until yesterday. 90 mile drive home was not fun.

Changed crank sensor and plugs with no joy, cam sensors this weekend.

Or set fire to it.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Nothing at the moment but from experience I know that mine usually wait until the Saturday afternoon of a Bank Holiday weekend before chucking a strop.

We got through Easter OK, so I'm expecting lots of fun in May.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Windows on the Meg are still being an arsehole. I can’t bring myself to spend £400 for a new regulator.

Battery in the Lotus has worked loose after the last track day. Should be an easy fix.
mik

Post by mik »

I am not saying ANYTHING about my cars in this thread. Do you hear me cars? :evil:

Nef : that TVR design sound monumentally stoopid. Worth trying radweld first? (Even though that does tend to destroy the thermostat too).

Bonnet catches not latching afe almost always cables sticking - except once on the Disco3 where I had to file metal from the catch. I still dont understand why it happened, but this solution worked..... :?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Compact passed it's not on Thursday despite not getting time to change the front wishbones I put new joints in at the weekend, so that's a job still to do.

Yesterday on the way home the e46 started making a horrible vibration from the middle of the propshaft area somewhere. Nursed it a couple of miles home at 30mph and just before we get back it changed from a vibration to a constant squeal. Not horrendously loud so hoping it's just a heat shield or something which has dropped onto the prop.

Unfortunately getting to it to even have a look means taking the entire exhaust off.

And it's front wings are so rotten the lip is barely hanging on. In fact, the whole thing is a mess. Shame it drives so nicely and is handy to have.

E36, seems to have killed its battery whilst it's been sat, something seems to be causing a drain but not had time to investigate. I took it off the road because there's rust creeping through the seams in the front turrets which I was hoping to sort over winter. The weather has been so poop since November I've barely even looked at it.

Golf, needs a new rear valance, a little paint, a new headlining and that's about it I think.

I'm ignoring the rest.
Cheers, Harry
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Mik - not massively happy with using radweld at the best of times, but the ajp engine has some particularly narrow water galleries in the head, and the idea of a blockage leading to top end hot spots gives me the heebeejeebees. Needs done properly imo.

The bonnet catch is a funny arrangement (quelle surprise on a Trevor). It's two solid bars on a rotating bit, so it pushes two pins in and out of the bonnet itself as you turn the knob. It used to have some resistance to it, and lock into the 12 o clock position. Now it just free-rotates. Something has clearly dropped out, but I can't see what's missing. Might end up re-engineering a new, better system.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

scotta wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:22 am Windows on the Meg are still being an arsehole. I can’t bring myself to spend £400 for a new regulator.
Drivers side window on the Mrs' Scenic went died last month and the garage guessed it was the regulator and quoted £350 for it.

I picked up a new reg for £27 from Amazon prime and took the door card off only to find it was the window support clip bit broken. £3 off ebay and three or four hours of work and there's a functioning window again. Will return the reg for refund via Prime.

Taking door cards off is still a pig of a job but saved £300.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Mk1 Mx5 1.6 - It's been in dry storage for about 5yrs now and I haven't even been to look at it which is a bit rubbish really. It's a cracking little car, a 1990 G plate and one of the first official batch into the UK. It's done 77k and is finished in red. I bought it from a friend of my Dad who builds race cars so it was in tip top condition and had been de-catted and remapped.

Prior to storage it was ready for a service, brakes, tyres, cambelt, water pump, suspension refresh and undoubtedly now many other things! Not sure when I'll get around to it.

Some of the best fun I've had in a car was in the MX5 on skinny snow tyres in the snow. It was absolutely epic!! 8-)
Beany

Post by Beany »

I think the Mondeo needs the aircon regassing, and a new DMF would do it no harm but it far from needs one.

And the cd changer in the boot can be a bit flaky (they all do that sir)

Otherwise, he says, tempting fate, it's bob on.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Right now - pretty much nothing.

Last year, however - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
scotta

Post by scotta »

RobYob wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:06 pm
scotta wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:22 am Windows on the Meg are still being an arsehole. I can’t bring myself to spend £400 for a new regulator.
Drivers side window on the Mrs' Scenic went died last month and the garage guessed it was the regulator and quoted £350 for it.

I picked up a new reg for £27 from Amazon prime and took the door card off only to find it was the window support clip bit broken. £3 off ebay and three or four hours of work and there's a functioning window again. Will return the reg for refund via Prime.

Taking door cards off is still a pig of a job but saved £300.
Door cards been off. Retraced and reinsulated all the wiring. Still no joy. Someone previously has fitted the eBay replacement boxes on the regulators.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Galaxy probably needs a wheel alignment. Since swapping back to the wider, larger summers it feels a bit off. Could probably also do with a refurb to ensure all four wheels are properly round.

Having had it washed today it is obvious that it really needs a proper polish and wax job to sort out the paint.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Nothing. Leasing FTW :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Mustangs - tyres need changing from the ditchfinders (whenncold and wet) to Michelin PS4’s. Also got some door edge chips and a chip on the rear edge of the bonnet from some cunt leaving a note on the window.

Focus ST - needs running in. Some cunt chipped the passenger door with less than 200 Miles on it so that needs sorting, probably something I can do myself. The rear bumper had some rubbish painted in from the factory but that’s been fixed by the dealer.

4x4 - last year when it was +30c and dry for several weeks I got the rust on the rear arches and both sills treated. I also undersealed the car. The rusty arches and dolls have since come back so I’m two minds as to what to do with the car, this year was supposed to be getting the wheels re-furbisbed and maybe getting the bonnet re-sprayed due to the number of stone chips on it. The horn has also stopped working and I know it’s not the fuse, that’s aboit as far as I’ve got with it.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:04 am Nothing. Leasing FTW :lol:
:D Well, my Car-Net sometimes stops working after it charges (the module apparently goes to sleep) so I can't do pre-heating from the app until the car is started up again. I have to go outside and do it.

Apparently VW have an update to fix it as and when I can be bothered to give it to them for half a day.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Isn’t this basically fleet running reports?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Nic wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:52 am Isn’t this basically fleet running reports?
but for people too lazy to sort their issues!
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

Merc: gas spheres are empty, so the back axle is rock-hard and bounces around like Beany on meth. It does so few miles (and none of them over 40mph) that I have lived with this for 2 years.

928: we’ll see - coming out of hibernation next week or so, and I am expecting the traditional “major system shitting its biscuits” celebration of spring. At the very least, I need to sort the increasingly tatty bodywork, something I’ve said every year since a seagull shat on the bonnet in 2013. :mrgreen:
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

The mini has a slipping clutch and Kathryn's clio's drivers door lock is playing up.
Banal Vapid Platitudes