Tyrrells Workshop - (original 60's) Jag S-Type

mik

Tyrrells Workshop - (original 60's) Jag S-Type

Post by mik »

Mixed emotions watching this for me as the car is so similar to my (late) dad's.

3.8 Manual with overdrive on steel wheels rather than fussy wires. Tyrell’s vid car is just a year newer, has the same interior, and lacks only the awesome full-length Webasto roof my dad's car had.

And not as clear a shot, but now wearing the period colour plates I got him for his birthday.

Great video that really explains why it was technically so much better than the MkII (accepting that it doesn't really come close in the looks dept). Brought back a lot of memories. In addition to the IRS, it had rear discs (which Ian doesn't mention?).

My dad apparently had an old shed of a MkI when he met my mum. It had accident damage and was generally abused, and went to the scrappy rather than being sold on. He always wanted another.

When I was in my late teens he picked up an immaculate S-Type, and adored it. He car shared, but drove it to work on "his week", so the 17mpg wasn't too painful. It was epic. I have a really strong memory of popping to B&Q with him - as we exited our road he said "no fucking way" as he peered in his mirror. E-type right behind us. I thought he was going to wet his pants....

He retired early, but rather than spend more time in it, he'd always favour the turbodiesel (early adopter) rather than the Jag for a trip. He eventually stopped taxing it, and it sat in a relatively humid garage for a few years. Responding to my continued pleas, he got it back on the road when mrs mik and I married. First time I drove it was the day before the wedding. For our honeymoon, we drove it up to the North of Scotland for a few days, before returning and going abroad for a week. Weather was fabulous, and it was a really special addition, cruising along with the roof open, listening to that glorious straight6, waving back at literally everyone.

Unfortunately that was the last time it moved. :( It went back in the garage, and despite having a full years MOT, Tax, Insurance, it didn't leave again. Over the following years the handbrake and clutch seized on, something got dropped on the Webasto roof and tore it, and the bodywork and interior succumbed to the humid environment. By the time he offered it to me it needed a load of work. I had nowhere to store it, and with young sprogs - no time or spare cash. So I declined. A huge regret now, but I know it was the only realistic decision at the time. <sigh>

ShockDiamonds

Re: Tyrrells Workshop - (original 60's) Jag S-Type

Post by ShockDiamonds »

We really need a 'like' button on this forum, because I enjoyed reading that/liked this post :)
So, typing a like here literally instead :)
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

^ Yep (even though I remembered most it from before) 8-)
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Car memories are some of the best 😎

Whether it was able to be restored or not it created a lot of fun times so was money and time very well spent.

Dave!