Android 12 - Don't

drcarlos

Android 12 - Don't

Post by drcarlos »

Maybe this should go in moaning. This update is akin to Windows Vista fiasco. It's totally fucked. Looks nice but buggy as hell. 2 weeks ago I got the first update on my Note 10 (official Samsung update) and last weekend another small update, which actually made things worse.
Issues so far -
App crashes - Generally games they just quit or hang. Worth checking if you have a game you regularly play in case it get nerfed.
Unresponsiveness - Click on a Facebook comment thread to read it and it just won't open, if it does you can open one and then not the next until you quit the thread and go back in, really annoying on car groups where you ask a question.
Android Auto - Well not being satisfied with removal of the standalone app launcher they've totally nerfed it, it was glitchy and sometimes music randomly stopped but now it seems it won't launch at all to complete the setup and my HU just sits waiting for it. 800+ comments on google support from people in the same boat.

Tonight's task is to downgrade it to Android 11 and stop all future updates.

If you get offered the upgrade stay away at least for now.
Simon

Re: Android 12 - Don't

Post by Simon »

Most of that I guess is Samsung specific. I have been running it on my Pixel 5 since launch and it's fine (although I can't speak to the Android Auto issues.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Beany

Post by Beany »

As per Simon, in every respect.

I did notice the odd FB behaviour, but I'm putting that down to FB being shit, given I've been on Android 12 since release and it's never come up before.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

No bother whatsoever on my 6pro. Android auto performing faultlessly. All good here. 😁
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Work SGS20FE has no issues. Wonder if it is model specific?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Same on my 3a, it's been fine.

Although I don't like the size/spacing of the UI - far less visible on the screen, especially that pull down menu from the top....but stability wise, fine.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

My Oneplus 8 just downloaded it, everything had changed and not in a good way. When you press close all apps nothing happens etc.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

OnePlus seems to have made a proper mess of their software.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Was possibly Samsung related, there was a second subsequent update that landed and seemed to fix the FB issue but nothing else.

The game issue was widely reported and the dev did issue an update after about a week which appeared to fix it.

The Auto issue I resolved by deleting the entire app cache and settings, there by reinitialising it when it connected to the HU, then I had to go through the connection process on all 4 vehicles I use with the phone.

I see the Android auto app was removed in Android 11 to be more integrated with the OS. In 12 years of use (8 years of Samsung) it's the first real issue I've had. I left Sony after they abandoned handsets too quickly for updates but that was down to poor customer service rather than software issues.

I'm likely to abandon the mainstream makers next time around as they have no differentiators for their mental prices (my note 10 lacks both headphone socket and SD slot) and pick something leftfield next time.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

No probs on my A52S. Garmin Connect sometimes a bit of a shit and requires a reboot, but no sure that can be levelled at the phone or OS.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Just realised, the warp charging has stopped working since the update.