Anti-virus for Idiots ?

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Anti-virus for Idiots ?

Post by Sundayjumper »

OK, maybe harsh, it’s for my parents, but they need something very straightforward. I think I used to use AVG. Is that still good ?
Shlergen

Re: Anti-virus for Idiots ?

Post by Shlergen »

Kaspersky - pretty light weight and I've installed with a group license for most of the family. I only hear from them at renewal time :lol:
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Shlergen wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:39 pm Kaspersky - pretty light weight and I've installed with a group license for most of the family. I only hear from them at renewal time :lol:
Easy there, Comrade. Can't say I'd be recommending Kaspersky at this particular time... !
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

To be fair I didn't make the association but yes very correct. In that case, Avast.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Windows Defender for me and I'm an idiot :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
tim

Post by tim »

Don't bother, use the default Windows setup, it's perfectly good.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Buy them chromebooks/box no need for any complications 8-)
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Windows defender, its the default, free and well supported.

Any differences in performance, scanning ability between the major virus scanners is statistical noise, you got more variance between different sample sets/machines than the scanners themselves, take any one of test/review with a huge pinch of salt, only choose something different to Windows Defender if the feature set appeals to you.

Something that is rarely mentioned is that Windows defender is by far the most reliable virus scanner, there was a code analysis done a few years ago, that showed Windows defender interfered with Windows the least (hooking into filesystem drivers, injecting into system DLLs etc), had the least bugs and was least susceptible to being exploited.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Tim and Nick? are correct. Make sure your autoupdates are turned on and Windows Defender is just fine for most people. No need to invite any other app onto your system for the job.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Simon wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:10 pm Tim and Nick? are correct. Make sure your autoupdates are turned on and Windows Defender is just fine for most people. No need to invite any other app onto your system for the job.
This. When my current paid for subscription runs out, I won't be renewing it.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away