Dustbin technicians

Broccers

Dustbin technicians

Post by Broccers »

Or whatever the current name is for Bin men :D

So ours and the next door neighbours got missed 2 weeks ago. It happens.

Bin (gettit?) again this morning and left his, again.

I was just going out so drove down to them and asked what the issue was. Apparently his bin has a crack in it and when they went to empty it a wheel fell off. So, instead of emptying it he put the wheel back on and left it.

The next step is for my neighbour to ring and BUY a new bin and only then they will come and replace / take away his rubbish.

I explained this was wank imo and could he not at least go back and empty it? No - too dangerous or some such shite.

Having to pay to replace your bin tho? Is this normal?
Last edited by Broccers on Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dinny_g

Re: Dustbin technicians

Post by dinny_g »

I religiously clean by Glass Jars and Bottles before putting them in the recycling bin.

Our binmen take the glass recycling from 4 or 5 houses and merge it into one bin.

Last week it was merged into ours - which was then NOT COLLECTED because other people didn't clean theirs properly

:roll: x 1000
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

The garden waste collectors emptied one of our two garden bins last autumn but not the other. They moved both so should have realised. We pay for each one so I complained to the council same day.

Was told I had to wait and complain the following day because they might come back (ha ha). Complained the next day and was told they’d be back within 3 working days. They weren’t so I complained again and was told it would take 3 working days to get a response because I’d already complained. After that wait I was told they’d come within 3 working days again… which they didn’t but that expired one day before the next collection anyway 😂

It was a right pain because I’d been cutting back the garden hedges and bushes a lot so needed them emptied. No discount on this year’s charge for garden waste, and the stickers still wrinkle and crack within a couple of days of being put on the bin. Grrr.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:04 am Last week it was merged into ours - which was then NOT COLLECTED because other people didn't clean theirs properly

:roll: x 1000
Annoying :D
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Yeah I know... :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

@Jobbo that sounds really frustrating. Life should be more simple than this :x :D
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

We have 4 standard wheelie bins for recycling shared between 8 flats and someone in our building keeps putting black bags into them so they never get emptied. There's a pure race to get to them whenever they do get emptied to get rid of the recycling that's accumulated while everyone's been waiting :lol:
An absolute unit
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

One of the joys of Stockton council- you can recycle if you want but it doesn’t matter if you don’t. We only have one wheelie bin, which you can throw anything you want into and it all gets taken. Reason is all our wheelie bin waste goes to our local ‘energy from waste’ plant. Aka rubbish fired power station.

Went on a tour around it with our scouts once. Really interesting and equally smelly :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Recycling still doesn't exist in my place in London. Walk out flat door, across the hallway and throw whatever you have down the chute. If you have something big which doesn't fit in the chute you have take the lift to the basement and just leave it by the bin however some cunts still don't manage this which usually results in a letter once a months asking residents to not try and shove an entire mattress down the refuse chute. And prior to that another person blocked it with a microwave.
How about not having a sig at all?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Some councils don't bother asking residents to segregate their waste, because an awful lot simply cba or are utterly thick as shit. Hence it's easier for them to do it themselves at their own waste sites.

Chances are that's what's happening above. Very little waste goes to landfill, and as little as possible tends to go to EfW - it really is usually only residual waste. Afterall, metals and glass don't really burn that well...
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Ours isn’t separated- the bin lorries reverse in and tip off into the feeder pile for the energy plant.

Interestingly enough ours isn’t used by any of the surrounding councils, Middlesborough and Hartlepool still send waste to landfill. It however does process rubbish from Northumberland (if you drive on the a19 and see a Hargreaves lorry thats what they carry)

There’s another energy from waste place within the old ici Wilton plant near Redcar that processes waste from Liverpool.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

jamcg wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:33 pm Ours isn’t separated- the bin lorries reverse in and tip off into the feeder pile for the energy plant.

Interestingly enough ours isn’t used by any of the surrounding councils, Middlesborough and Hartlepool still send waste to landfill. It however does process rubbish from Northumberland (if you drive on the a19 and see a Hargreaves lorry thats what they carry)

There’s another energy from waste place within the old ici Wilton plant near Redcar that processes waste from Liverpool.
It will have been to a MRF beforehand I'm sure. Or they'll be separating it in the EfW (unlikely as I've never seen one that incorporates a MRF). They aren't going to want to try burning glass or alloys in an EfW, and most have very low levels of metals in the outputs.

And the others are highly unlikely to be sending it to landfill. The only stuff going in landfills these days is inert waste such as rubble and soils. Merseywaste is a prime example - used to go to Arpley landfill in Warrington (one of the largest landfills in the UK) but, despite Arpley getting an extension of life it was still significantly cheaper to bulk it and train it to Middlesborough. When Arpley shut it was nowhere close to being full.