Our Maseratis: The Granturismo Cabrio & a New Arrival

SSO

Our Maseratis: The Granturismo Cabrio & a New Arrival

Post by SSO »

Just posted an a blog catching up on our Maseratis given that we have a new Trident badged arrival:

https://karenable.com/our-maseratis-the ... w-arrival/

Comments?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Our Maseratis: The Granturismo Cabrio & a New Arrival

Post by Jobbo »

The first Maserati I drove was also a 3200GT. It was also the last because I really disliked it; vague and woolly but not good enough as a GT to accept that.

I’m glad the brand exists but since the only Maseratis I see around these days are the Ghibli and Levante, I just notice that they’re not as attractive as their cheaper Alfa equivalents.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:43 am The first Maserati I drove was also a 3200GT. It was also the last because I really disliked it; vague and woolly but not good enough as a GT to accept that.

I’m glad the brand exists but since the only Maseratis I see around these days are the Ghibli and Levante, I just notice that they’re not as attractive as their cheaper Alfa equivalents.
Masers are the biggest let down of my motoring life unfortunately. A mate had a Quattroporte (he'd had it straight piped and it sounded epic) and I borrowed it for a couple of days to use as a prom car for my eldest. The gearbox (F1) was appalling, the build was far worse than my TVR and the throttle was like a light switch, although I suspect it had a fault. The gearbox would have been far better as a regular auto slushbox or a straight manual and if the throttle was working properly it probably would have been OK to drive if not great but acceptable. It was the build that got me, on a 70k (at the time) car bit of trim would come off in your hands (The TVR doesn't even do that) and the only other car that happened with was a rental Mk1 Megane. I used to love them and fancied the 90's Ghibli or Shamal and it kind of burst my bubble. It did one thing really well was stop crowds and shutdown the 911 Turbo that was in front of me in the prom queue when it came to giving it a few revolutions when we reached the drop off point!
SSO

Post by SSO »

drcarlos wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:57 am Masers are the biggest let down of my motoring life unfortunately. A mate had a Quattroporte (he'd had it straight piped and it sounded epic) and I borrowed it for a couple of days to use as a prom car for my eldest. The gearbox (F1) was appalling, the build was far worse than my TVR and the throttle was like a light switch, although I suspect it had a fault. The gearbox would have been far better as a regular auto slushbox or a straight manual and if the throttle was working properly it probably would have been OK to drive if not great but acceptable. It was the build that got me, on a 70k (at the time) car bit of trim would come off in your hands (The TVR doesn't even do that) and the only other car that happened with was a rental Mk1 Megane. I used to love them and fancied the 90's Ghibli or Shamal and it kind of burst my bubble. It did one thing really well was stop crowds and shutdown the 911 Turbo that was in front of me in the prom queue when it came to giving it a few revolutions when we reached the drop off point!
The F1 gearboxes on the early Quattroportes were truly appalling. Build quality has gotten much better over time thanks to a lot of help from Ferrari.