Taylor Hawkins

ShockDiamonds

Re: Taylor Hawkins

Post by ShockDiamonds »

I’ve been quite low these last few days.

Odd I keep telling myself. I didn’t know the bloke, never even seen them live.
But crikey been enjoying discovering their back catalogue these last few months.

They say you mourn the loss of what was going to be. The fact I’ll never now even get the chance to watch this lineup live is what I’m struggling with a little, sounds daft perhaps. It’s how I feel though 😥
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

I share that sentiment. There is literally no logical reason whatsoever to be grieving for him, we don't know him. But somehow you end up in a right slump, and that's real. Totally weird but very real.
John

Post by John »

Unsurprisingly, it's been announced tonight that the rest of the tour has been cancelled. Where will they go from here?
scotta

Post by scotta »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:26 pm I’ve been quite low these last few days.

Odd I keep telling myself. I didn’t know the bloke, never even seen them live.
But crikey been enjoying discovering their back catalogue these last few months.

They say you mourn the loss of what was going to be. The fact I’ll never now even get the chance to watch this lineup live is what I’m struggling with a little, sounds daft perhaps. It’s how I feel though 😥
They were properly epic live. I think I've seen them 4 times. Last time they played Murrayfield it was truly special - despite Dave G being in a leg cast.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

John wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:52 pm Unsurprisingly, it's been announced tonight that the rest of the tour has been cancelled. Where will they go from here?
The wording of their short statement did make me think they might just call it a day which would be totally understandable.

Its strange how these things affect you, but I guess it shouldn't be a surprise given how music in particular is such an influence to people during their formative years. And we're all getting older, much more aware of our own mortality etc.
Cheers,

Mike.
davecG60

Post by davecG60 »

Seems like I'm not the only one walking around in a daze after the tragic events of the weekend. As Dave says above, there is no real reason for people to feel this way but we do. Don't think anybody here had met him either and yet here I am in mourning like I've lost a close friend.
Echoing what Ascender has said as well, their music has been with me through my darkest days when I couldn't even get out of bed in the morning and equally dancing like a euphoric fool at many parties. The power that music can have on people is amazing really and I still find it strange that some of my mates don't listen to music at all!
As for the future? I think they'll all call it a day and maybe at some time work together. Dave Grohl has just lost his best mate and I don't think he'd be able to continue by replacing Taylor. Obviously I don't know him though :lol:
Cockwobble
KiwiDave

Post by KiwiDave »

Without reading too much into things, when they posted that on their FB page, at the same time they replaced their cover photo to be one of the whole band. As Mike said if you wanna play the game of reading into what they've said, I'd consider it likely they've pulled the pin, at least for a long time.

And I wouldn't blame them at all. Just really glad I got to see them so many times.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I'd fully expect it to be a long time before you see them again as the Foos. They'll need to grieve and move on completely before potentially, at some point in the future, realising that they want to go back out there and play those songs again to people.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

They'll be back. It's sad, for sure, but if Dave Grohl started the Foos right after Nirvana, then he'll be back on stage again after this too.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

He always said that writing and recording that first Foos album was what got him through Kurt dying.

I wouldn’t be surprised if something turns up from him, maybe not foo fighters but something.
An absolute unit
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Thanks all for sharing the sentiment, really - it’s appreciated. That’s the benefit of forums like this, sometimes when it’s needed it’s really there. Been feeling a little better today and yesterday and been playing Wasting Light basically on repeat. Wife been complaining that ‘Walk’ is now engrained into her brain but hey ho. Also have to admit listening to those lyrics sends something of a chill down the spine but I guess that applies to loads of tracks after somebody passes.

Anyway, thanks guys.
davecG60

Post by davecG60 »

After watching the Grammys tribute earlier, this popped up on the recommended videos to watch. Made as a special for their 25th anniversary it just shows a snippet into their history.
You can clearly see how close they all are; the Band's humour; the mutual respect/piss taking of each other and the bond between Dave & Taylor, as they recall various concerts, promo shoots and guest appearances.
Yet again I'm finding some grit in my eye :(

Cockwobble
KiwiDave

Post by KiwiDave »

I assume some of you will be going to the gig in London today, and at least some of you will be tuning in on YouTube?

clicky
John

Post by John »

I had tickets for the June concert but couldn't motivate myself to go to today's, I'll be watching on youtube though.
davecG60

Post by davecG60 »

On now but missed the beginning :(
Hot for the teacher 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Cockwobble
John

Post by John »

Enjoyed that, can't believe I've been sat here for six hours :)
Simon

Post by Simon »

I skipped through the stream but I didn't see Richard from Manchester playing the drums at all?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

We had tickets for this but life got in the way so ended up watching it on the YouTube. Very enjoyable stuff although bits were a really tough watch with Dave Grohl struggling to hold it together. I thought the quick relaxed approach and mix & match of artists, songs and styles worked well.
Cheers,

Mike.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

That bloody gig meant it cost me £54 to get an Uber from Hanger Lane to Heathrow on Saturday afternoon. 😂😂