8yr old with Chicken pox

McSwede

8yr old with Chicken pox

Post by McSwede »

FFS what a pain having a poorly child whining all the time and unable to get to sleep 😂

In all seriousness it's rubbish to see how upset she is, how itchy she is and how tired she is. Wish she'd caught it when she was little. A difficult few days.
duncs500

Re: 8yr old with Chicken pox

Post by duncs500 »

Seems like there's an outbreak of chicken pox at the moment, I'm assuming ours will get it soon enough.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Poor munchkin. Hope she recovers soon.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

DeskJockey wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:57 am Poor munchkin. Hope she recovers soon.
Thanks, me too. I was up with her until 1.15am and I don't think she slept too much after I went to bed. The itchiness was driving her crackers! Hopefully that was the worst of it 🤞🤞
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

It is worse, the older they get it. Mini Dinny was only 2 and had a mild dose of it.

Calamine Lotion, love and attention is all you can do really
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:44 am It is worse, the older they get it. Mini Dinny was only 2 and had a mild dose of it.

And medicinal ice cream. Loads of it.
---
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

DeskJockey wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:26 am
dinny_g wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:44 am It is worse, the older they get it. Mini Dinny was only 2 and had a mild dose of it.

How is me getting fatter going to help her chickenpox?
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

We’ve had both of ours vaccinated for it, so hopefully don’t have to go through it.

I didn’t get it until twenty one and it knocked me out for over a week.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

McSwede wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:12 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:26 am

How is me getting fatter going to help her chickenpox?
If you don't understand, I can't explain it to you.
---
robin_cox

Post by robin_cox »

Get Piriton syrup. ASAP. (chlorphenamine rather than Piriteze which is Cetirizine). Piriton is chemist-only, sadly. Piriteze is off the shelf in Tesco, but I don't have a clue if it is as effective.

My daughter caught chicken pox in her final year of nursery off her best friend (a medic's daughter!) who returned to nursery still looking like a victim of the great plague and presumably still infective. We tried calamine for a (difficult and very upset) day and then I was told to give her a shot of Piriton morning and night every day and it was instant success - no more scratching or complaints as the virus ran its course. Time it right and they want to go to bed just after as well! Win win.

Then I broke out with it .. having been to a few chicken pox parties in the 70s it was unclear whether I'd had a very mild case when my peers all got it - but clearly I wasn't a very sociable child! Felt ropey for a day or two as she was nearly clear of symptoms, then it became clear that I had the blisters coming out in various locations on the Saturday. As luck would have it we'd bought 2 bottles of Piriton and only used 1/2 by this point, so I swallowed 4 tablespoons a day for the rest of the week and the time passed by in a blissful haze... I'd booked the following week off on holiday as well. First time I'd been relaxed enough to have a holiday in years!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Thanks Robin. We got some Piriton syrup and that seems to work well. Less itchy and she's just gone straight to sleep.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Calamine lotion or whatever its called, in a spray bottle, like suncream. Mist it over everywhere lightly, then you don't have to rub it in and it really works, I was shocked!

Hope she feels better soon, it's horrid 👍
tim

Post by tim »

Piriton worked for both my two as well, albeit they were quite little when they got it.

Best of luck, poorly kids is not nice.
robin_cox

Post by robin_cox »

McSwede wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:52 pm Thanks Robin. We got some Piriton syrup and that seems to work well. Less itchy and she's just gone straight to sleep.
really glad!! I've become a Piriton evangelist since it is so effective with so many childhood issues here and there. Our local chemist shuts at 5.30 so I was a bit concerned you'd have to wait till tomorrow to get it - bonus!!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

robin_cox wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:34 pm
McSwede wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:52 pm Thanks Robin. We got some Piriton syrup and that seems to work well. Less itchy and she's just gone straight to sleep.
really glad!! I've become a Piriton evangelist since it is so effective with so many childhood issues here and there. Our local chemist shuts at 5.30 so I was a bit concerned you'd have to wait till tomorrow to get it - bonus!!
Had some in the cupboard it turns out. Result!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

robin_cox wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:34 pm
Treina is the same, it works well for coughs too.

Ours had a bag of oats in a pair of cut off tights under the tap and then had long baths, it really helped them stop scratching and settled them.

Dave!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

We did the oat bath too. She seems to be through the worst of it now.

She's was in bed and asleep at about 6.30pm and I still asleep now. Lazy git!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Preparing for her teenage years!
---