Will Smith (is not dead)

Swervin_Mervin

Re: Will Smith (is not dead)

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:15 am
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:25 am Since when did Chris Rock become known just as Rock? I was baffled as he'll for a bit there thinking he'd hit The Rock! :lol:

Seems to just be the BBC reporting it like that actually.
I only called him that because it's his surname, and typing on my phone I didn't want to put his full name each time :lol: Referring to people by their surname is entirely normal, you know.
I was specifically referring to the article Simon. At no point do they start with Chris Rock before reverting to just Rock. THey just refer to Rock throughout. Peculiar.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

drcarlos wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:27 am
Delphi wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:19 am There's been rumours flying around for years that Will Smith is in the closet and his marriage is just a front to keep his career.
There's more than rumours that they have an open marriage 'from his wifes' perspective.

Maybe he thought that if he's going after her I'm next?
I thought she'd already openly apologised about a previous affair.

It certainly didn't look staged to me. Smith was clearly enraged.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Zonda_ wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:18 am It’s odd, when the camera cuts to Smith he seems like he’s going to try and laugh it off then realises he’s gone too far and starts shouting abuse.
Jada obviously gave him ‘the look’.

I don’t know what to make of this. Bloke defending his wife’s honour or jumped up celebs taking themselves too seriously 🤷‍♂️
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

McSwede wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:41 am
Delphi wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:19 am There's been rumours flying around for years that Will Smith is in the closet and his marriage is just a front to keep his career.
There's more than rumours that they have an open marriage 'from his wifes' perspective.

You may well be correct, I only saw the story where it was reported about it happening.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

McSwede wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:41 am
Delphi wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:19 am
There's been rumours flying around for years that Will Smith is in the closet and his marriage is just a front to keep his career.

Either that or he’s a good actor…
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

I think he deserved a slap. Being a comedian doesn't automatically grant you a free pass at everything. It wasn't a joke about a group of people, a race or religion. It was a direct joke at one person. He used a clever joke to hide behind what was basically him pointing and laughing 'ha ha, that woman's bald'.

Imagine your wife was suffering with it, struggled, dealt with it enough to go out with a shaven head, only to be mocked in front of a large crowd. You'd be fucking livid.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Yea, its a bit of a cheap gag, "punching down" at an actual person about something medical. Not a great look.

More power to him. A tiny bit of me wishes he had just laid him out with one punch.

I don't understand all the panty-wetting about how its THE WORST THING EVER. And the staggering lack of self awareness from people saying they should take his Oscar off him, given Polanksi still has his and let's not even mention Weinstein...

It does give us a chance to remember that if you're going to anger an audience, you might as well do it properly.
In 1991, Sadowitz was knocked unconscious by an irate audience member during a performance at the Just for Laughs Comedy Festival in Montreal, where he mocked French Canadians, starting with the greeting "Hello moosefuckers! I tell you why I hate Canada, half of you speak French, and the other half let them." The rarely quoted follow up line, which Sadowitz claims is what actually led to him being attacked was "Why don't you speak Indian? You might as well speak the language of the people you stole the country off of in the first place."
Cheers,

Mike.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Bear in mind that this would've been a scripted gag, possibly not even scripted by Rock but ceratinly at least would've been heavily vetted even if Rock did write it.

Yes it's a low joke, but it wasn't that bad. Smith even seemed to find it funny until his boss shot him a look.

And Smith would've had a far greater impact if he'd jsut denounced the joke, or asked if Rock thought it was amusing to poke fun at people's health conditions. As it was it was a lame slap that looked staged, even though I'm sure it wasn't, and the end result is that both of them look like dicks, and it's completely overshadowed the likes of Coda getting the Best Picture Oscar, which is a pretty big deal.

tl;dr - they're all self-absorbed wankers
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:21 am
Jobbo wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:15 am
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:25 am Since when did Chris Rock become known just as Rock? I was baffled as he'll for a bit there thinking he'd hit The Rock! :lol:

Seems to just be the BBC reporting it like that actually.
I only called him that because it's his surname, and typing on my phone I didn't want to put his full name each time :lol: Referring to people by their surname is entirely normal, you know.
I was specifically referring to the article Simon. At no point do they start with Chris Rock before reverting to just Rock. THey just refer to Rock throughout. Peculiar.
Have they updated it then? The headline and first line refer to Chris Rock.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Without this incident noone would have even consider watching his oscar winning film thats for sure :D
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

The Oscars PR people must be loving this 😂
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:08 pm
Have they updated it then? The headline and first line refer to Chris Rock.
They must have done I think. I went back and checked it a couple of times thinking I'd missed it but it definitely just said Rock.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Weird for someone to just stand there and be hit, almost no reaction.
mik

Post by mik »

MikeHunt wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:27 pm Weird for someone to just stand there and be hit, almost no reaction.
Even when Smith started the swing, I expect Mr Rock thought it was more likely to be a gag…..

After it he just acts like a professional. I suspect it would have been more difficult to do that if it had been a punch…
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

The Felch Prince of Bell-End.
drcarlos wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:27 am There's more than rumours that they have an open marriage 'from his wifes' perspective.
Now, this is a story all about how
My wife got flipped - turned upside down
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I remember the following story about Chubby Brown shortly after the Bradford FC fire in the 80's (words copied from t'web)....

I was in Bradford at the Alhambra Theatre when the comedian Roy "Chubby" Brown was appearing onstage. His opening line was something like "hey why didn't you invite me to your f@*%ing Barbeque ?" At that point one of the crowd jumped onstage and punched him in the face and knocked him out. The rest of the crowd walked out.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:06 am You’d have thought he could make a more effective point without hitting Rock.
If only he'd stayed in West Philly and not been transplanted to Bel-Air :lol:
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

He should have just grabbed his head and given him a bit of noogee.

Dave!
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

MikeHunt wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:27 pm Weird for someone to just stand there and be hit, almost no reaction.
To be fair, I’ve seen people caught unawares by a punch in a pub, somewhere you might be half expecting a punch to come if someone comes swaggering up to you after you’ve insulted their missus. I don’t think it’s a reach to suggest that wasn’t even in the top ten things Chris Rock thought Will Smith might do on live tv.
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »