Taylor Hawkins

Simon

Taylor Hawkins

Post by Simon »

Only 50

This is freaky. Last night was watching a legendary video on YouTube where Dave invites an amazing drummer up from the crowd to play drums on the song Wheels. Wake up today to see the Foo's drummer has died. Surreal.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
John

Re: Taylor Hawkins

Post by John »

That is terrible, awful news :(

We have tickets to see them later in the year.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Really sad news

Haven’t really listened to the Foos for years but the were one of my formative bands. Saw them 3 or 4 times when I was a kid. Can’t believe it was 20+ years ago.
An absolute unit
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Christ....

Woke up way too early and saw a random tweet which hinted at it then checked out the Beeb. How awful. Was the first gig I took my boy too, had seen them a few times and was a fan from that first record. They just seemed to be having such a great time, all the time and Taylor was having a blast.

RIP.
Cheers,

Mike.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Saddened to read this this morning. Really into their music last year or so and working my way through their back album, plus been attempting to pick up some of the guitar parts. One of those rare bands where every single album (those I’ve heard this far anyway) really appeals. So actually, if I’m honest, a little sad today 😢 Will hit the band very hard they were really tight. Thoughts and prayers to the family. 50 is no age at all 🙁
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Saw the thread title and thought "Nahhhh, can't be true"

I've loved the Foo's for their energy and personality, almost more than their music. I rarely listen to them, but love the way they treat their fans, how they swap instruments/vocals and hold the crown as the nicest guys in rock and roll.

Very sad news, considering how rock n roll bands keep going to their seventies, he still had a long career ahead of him with the Foo's and his Coattail Riders.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Very sad. Seemed like a great guy. 🙁
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

We've been listening to them this morning in tribute.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

They were in Bogota, Colombia and drummers always seem to have massive gear problems... I wonder if it was drug-related as it was obviously very sudden.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Gavster wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:03 pm They were in Bogota, Colombia and drummers always seem to have massive gear problems... I wonder if it was drug-related as it was obviously very sudden.
He's had drug issues in the past including a heroin overdoes, but I think that was 20 years or so ago now. Given that and the fact they were in Colombia its hard not to make that leap unfortunately.
Cheers,

Mike.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

High purity and $5 a g makes Colombia like Black Friday for an addict
davecG60

Post by davecG60 »

Weirdly the news of his passing has really hit me. Heard about it this morning when I checked the news and have been in a bit of a daze since. Been a huge fan since the Foos started, loved their music obviously but also just how they were as a band. They always seemed to be a group of mates having the best time. Watched Studio 666 this week, which shows ( I think ) how close they were. Dave Grohl & Taylor Hawkins just seemed like the best of mates too.
Shocked. :( :cry: :cry:
Cockwobble
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

Hits pretty hard.

As a teen, some of the first inklings of me wanting to play drums to music I liked, not the stuff my old man said I could was picking up on his work with Alanis. The Colour & The Shape was a very well used tool to piss off all my old man's church bunch so by the time I was trying to figure out my own shit and place in the world the Foos and Taylor were already a big part of it. Aurora was played at the funeral of one of my closest friends while I was holding his six month old daughter.

The truth is though, I like a lot of the Foos albums but I don't love them. Taylor's style of playing is something I never clicked with, and apart from Aurora I never play any of their tracks myself. But I've seen them live I dunno how many times and enjoyed the best live show you could ever hope for every time. Taylor's playing might not be my vibe, but it's impeccable. So much fucking energy, timing spot on, played to the music not over it (a rare skill) and both simultaneously sat back enough to let all the guitars and Grohl do what they do while being so present - all while being the glue and driving the whole show. A lot of people say he sits in the shadow of Grohl, but every album he's been on have been quite different from the first two - you can call it the band's evolution, but I would also suggest it's the Taylor influence. If you put anyone else in the seat on those albums, Grohl included, they'd sound very different. IMO he's as much a part of the Foos as anything Dave has done. He was a rare and almost unobtainable talent.

Every dude needs a bromance like Taylor and Dave - I think if we all did, the world would be better place. He seemed a good guy, cared about his family, loved music as much as any music fan on earth.

:( :(
mik

Post by mik »

Have found my Saturday evening playlist wandering into Foo land…. :?

No bad thang.

There are many version of Walking After You. I like all of them. But there is only one that hits me - the radio edit. And it’s all about that epic snare work. Still get me in the feels. :?

RIP.

Edit: foos were the last live band we saw as a full family - and I expect - with sprogs growing into adults - they will be the last.

Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Walking After You is a lovely song and Grohl’s drumming on it is just perfect. Been listening to a lot of Foos stuff over the last day. I do wonder if Grohl will continue with them after this.
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

The press will have their usual feeding frenzy, tossing out headlines and links to be hungrily gobbled up by the mind numb who had little or no interest in the band. If Amy Winehouse hasn’t already been dragged into their “news stories” then she soon will be. Great for sales.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Just to go full circle on this thread, I rewatched this to test my new headphones.

Here's Richard the drummer who's likely now frantically speeddialing the Foo's non-stop.

The artist formerly known as _Who_
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

Simon wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:57 pm Here's Richard the drummer who's likely now frantically speeddialing the Foo's non-stop.
Seen it before but goosebumps! Due can play too and you see Taylor was having a ball watching him.

Pretty much a dream come true right there - I'd kill to jam with them. (But I'm not that good) :lol:
davecG60

Post by davecG60 »

Simon wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:57 pm Just to go full circle on this thread, I rewatched this to test my new headphones.

Here's Richard the drummer who's likely now frantically speeddialing the Foo's non-stop.

This is one of the many reasons why I love the band, they're always appreciating their fans.

They've stopped a concert because theres a bloke kicking off in the audience who's wrecking the show for all.
Getting people up on stage to join the band, they know people have paid a lot of money to watch them and want them to see a proper show.
Doing a concert with a broken leg so the fans see the show they've paid for - plenty of other bands would have just cancelled.
They genuinely seemed like a group of mates having the best time.
Cockwobble