The classic movies you’ve never seen thread.

nuttinnew

Re: The classic movies you’ve never seen thread.

Post by nuttinnew »

If it came across as smug that wasn't the intention :)
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I will say as a certified Tolkien loser who has the extended cuts of all 6 movies, the Hobbit movies are just ok and by no means must see. The LoTR movies are the some of the best movies ever made though. They're like a cross between an old fashioned epic (Ben Hurr, Lawrence of Arabia) and old Speilberg/Lucas Adventure movies.
An absolute unit
GG.

Post by GG. »

I'm no great film buff but was surprised I'd only seen 46 of the top 100. Similar story with the top 250 - under half at 86.

ETA: the ones I hadn't seen were predominantly old. I had started working my way through a number of the old WW2 films recently. I'd definitely recommend you watch Bridge over the River Kwai and the Longest Day (one of the all time greats IMO) as both are better than more widely re-aired stuff like the Great Escape IMO. Where Eagles Dare also decent but a bit hammed up.

I re-watched Spartacus as well not long ago - very much up there as one of the all time greats. Beats Lawrence of Arabia into a cocked hat for me.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

On the subject of old war movies, I watched The Guns of Navarone recently and it was very good. I'd always thought it was a western for some reason.
An absolute unit
GG.

Post by GG. »

That is on my to do list - thanks for reminding me!
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

GG. wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:24 pm
I re-watched Spartacus

No, I re-watched Spartacus.

Good LoTR sell, Zed :)
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

GG. wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:33 pm That is on my to do list - thanks for reminding me!
It's one of my favorites with a great cast, made even better when you realise James Darren was in DS9, really is a great singer and is still alive today.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

nuttinnew wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:51 am Harry Potterage.
Having previously watched bits and pieced of most but never the whole thing, we recently watched all 8 (not in one sitting :lol: - over 3 or 4 weeks in January) and really enjoyed them. One in the middle - 4 or 5 - was a but rubbish but overall, inoffensive ( ;) :D ) folklore with all loose ends wrapped up and some good morals for the kids.

50/50 for the Ultimate List
63/35 for the List By Ratings.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…