Childhood injuries

V8Granite

Childhood injuries

Post by V8Granite »

As Rich B Shorts Short has broken the seal on his freshly started injury book, regale us with your childhood snafoos.

During the incredibly cool Roller Blade days a few of us wanted to see how fast we could go. A friends Dad had a bike with a speedo so we went to the strawberry picking hill, which was very steep and pretty long.

After roughly 30mph was reached I had a catastrophic bearing failure on my left skate. This resulted in quite a dramatic speed wobble and the eventual left turn of my left leg only. Much flat faced crashing occurred and by the time I had stopped my shell suit was ruined. It looked like I had taken a Claymore to the front.

It was a long walk home.

Dave!
Last edited by V8Granite on Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beany

Re: Childhood injuries

Post by Beany »

Once upon a time, a MiniBean, perhaps five years old, was exploring the village we'd just moved to. MiniBean sees interesting metal bits between a pair of sheds - how beguilling he thinks, and goes to investigate.

MiniBean then trips on something, and puts a hand out as one is wont to do. Which lands right on some kind of locating tab on a piece of old car hardware - maybe an axle or something.

MiniBean is hurt and upset, but goes with the old method of 'put your hand in your jacket pocket, if you can't see it won't hurt' and get back home, sniffling all the way.

Mother dear asks whats wrong. MiniBean pulls hand out of jacket pocket - which is now absolutely soaked with blood. Hand is caked in it. Mother nearly faints, then (as I'm told - I don't remember this part) a trip to a new neighbour she'd met who was a nurse at Wick General Hospital, who cleaned it up. Didn't need stitches, not quite.

So on my left hand, I have a very clear scar on the palm , between the thumb and forefinger, about half an inch long.

This is not as good as my brother however. Houses in the villliage had a 'recessed' upper wall, with a flagstone slope to meet the two parts. We had a heavy wooden bench at one part of it. Brother was rocket the bench back and forth. Top of the bench matched up cleanly with the flagstone 'slope'.
This is literally it:
Screenshot_2022-03-16_16-23-51.png
Screenshot_2022-03-16_16-23-51.png (290.8 KiB) Viewed 767 times
Caught his ring finger between them.

The Damage - nail ripped out of the bed - entirely - and hanging on by a thread.

Again, to the local nurse who gave them a lift to the hospital. The neighbour was the one who told me that the doctors didn't know who to treat first - my brother with his obvious injury, or mother dearest who ten minutes later was still as white as a ghost from seeing the injury (it was pretty foul and gory to look at).

That's the best ones I suppose.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

When I was six we had a pedal car and a load of big plastic drums in the garden, can't recall what they were for. A friend and I used to push each other in the car and we'd dive out of it onto the grass just before it crashed into a pyramid of drums. One time doing this I hurt my wrist. The nurse who lived next door said it was sprained so I carried on - riding my bike, playing cricket, going about things as normal.

Two weeks later I was in hospital to have my tonsils out. The nurse took my pulse, I screamed. X-ray. Broken wrist.
Left over crest; tightens.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I had 2 really painful experiences which still stick in my mind. One was getting my finger trapped in a door for over an hour and then the resulting pain from the nail going black and dropping off over a few weeks. The other was a broken thumb. I did also get lots of shoulder dislocations but they only hurt for a few hours until someone popped them back in...
How about not having a sig at all?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

My bloodiest was a bizarre one. I must've been about 4, and was walking back to my desk/table in primary school. Somehow, when I went to sit down, I managed to nut the edge of the table. The look on the other kids faces was one of pure horror. Just as I started thinking "oww, that hurt" the blood started flowing. Everywhere. Teach was horrified and rushed me to the nearest sink to run my head under cold water. But it kept on coming in a torrent.

Cue panicked phone call to my mum, who sped from work in the Renault 30 8-) and then dashed me to A&E. It took 5 adults to hold me down apparently as they stitched my head back together, without any local anaesthetic. Apparently the waiting room outside was sea of horror-stricken faces wondering what the fvck was going on in the room with all the guttoral screaming. :lol:

I smahed my head open a few times to be fair, usually going over some handle bars.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I got a brand new bike when v brakes first came out. We had a steep path at the end of our road and my old bike with crappy cantilever brakes that didn’t work well needed both front and back to stop at full pelt. The new bike didn’t :lol:

I did have a helmet on so didn’t get hurt as bad I could have but my lip was mashed in and pouring and I had tarmac actually ground into my front teeth!

Then “this one time at scout camp” (I didn’t do anything with a flute don’t worry) I ran to jump a rope fence. Both legs slipped and I ended up with the rope jammed under my armpits- it swung me about 6’ in the air and dumped my entire weight on my right ankle. Cue a lot of laughter from my scout leaders, until I heard “he’s not getting up”. Hospital trip and X-rays. Nothing broke just badly sprained. As in I tore every single ligament in my ankle badly sprained. To this day I immediately fall straight down without warning if my right ankle turns awkwardly
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Oooh and I forgot my best childhood story, from when I was around 6-ish

I had a climbing frame in the back garden, which my dad tied a rope washing line to. One day I was playing and climbing up the slide when I slipped off and ended up hanging from this rope by my neck, before spinning slightly and falling off (mam witnessed this, must have been terrifyyfor her)

Anyway, no real harm done, but I had a scabby horrible rope burn on my neck. My dad told me if anyone asks at school to tell them it happened because my mam tried to strangle me- and then left the country for work……

Now me being a good boy did what he said :lol: when my mam came to pick me up from school there was a greeting party of social services and police officers, who had to get my dad on the phone from Saudi Arabia to confirm he had indeed told me to say that as a joke before I was allowed to go home with my mother. Needless to say she didn’t see the funny side…….
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Pre-school, my brother was playing cricket on the street, I walked behind and caught the backswing with my forehead. Only needed 3 stitches. Still a dint on my forehead.

When I was about 6/7 I feel off the garage roof landed on my back. Luckily on soft grass. I went wobbly, but avoided a trip to A&E

When I was about 9 or 10, was cleaning the chain on my BMX and my finger got caught and went all the way round the chainwheel. Lost the end of my finger, about 2mm of bone and half a fingernail. Took about 2 months to heal. Still have a scar.

Sometime after this I was racing (still lived down south) on my BMX, got wiped out on some camel backs and landed on my back, I thought I was okay, got up, went wobbly and then taken to A&E.

11. Playing tennis at school, made a daft mistake. Threw my tennis racket into the ground, it bounced straight back and hit myself in the eye. Blinded my-self for a few weeks, had to go to A&E where they spotted damage, as swelling went down my vision returned, went back to hospital for dye in my eye and a scan and they could see a scar on my eyeball, just managed to miss my pupil.

12. I leant on a gas tap in a chemistry lab at school with my hand. The tap snapped and gouged my left wrist. I still have the scar.

13, on my BMX practising at the local track, foot slipped just before first jump, used both my arms, hands, hip, a rib and legs as a brake. Took a few hours in A&E to clean the wounds, had both arms and legs bandaged up and a huge swab type. Still have scars on both elbows and a huge scar on my hip that looks like a shark bite.

14, exactly a year after broke my arm going down the road on my MTB down the side of Malham Tarn, was a Range Rover coming up the other way, just enough room to squeeze past, but lost it on gravel and hit a dry-stone wall. Was driven to A&E about 30 minutes away, at triage they chucked my straight on a bed and had to have traction to fix a compound fracture. Lots of scrubbing of wounds to remove grit.

Can't remember how old I was, but I had my nose cauterised for the second time, had a letter to not do PE/Games, but the teacher insisted I watch at the side line. As this was indoor football, I ended up taking a football to the face and bust my nose, which would not stop bleeding, had to go back to hospital to check my nose.

Not detailing all the times I've had grazes for football, skidding off bikes, coming off skateboards, falling out of trees etc as would take another 50 lines.
Barry

Post by Barry »

My worst injuries are youthful cycling stupidity

On a summers day out with my mate, miles from home, cycling shortcut through the back of an ind. est - I thought I could just go straight across the footpath ahead of me and cut a big corner. Turns out that cyclepath was actually the old railway platform from a long since removed station. In other words, the path was approx 5" above the grass beyond, so I took a flyer straight off this and face planted at about fifteen mph. Straight over the bars, flipped over etc. Scuffed all the side of my face up.
My mate screamed and the next thing I know he's banging on the nearest house door, and fortunately for me the little old lady dragged me indoors and proceeded to Dettol my face up enough that I could see/attempt the long walk home (with my bent cycle). Memory is blurry but it must have been a good few miles walk home, looking like Freddy Kreuger.. my ma was weeding the garden when I shuffled into view, and I can still see the shocked face. I still have a tiny scar from that.

This was just plain stupid child thinking.. I wasn't allowed a BMX, when they were all the rage and my mates all had them, so I used to follow suit on my Raleigh road bike. Heavy POS thing with full length mudguards etc. Anyhoo, did a kerb hop and it made a right clatter, I looked down and saw the chain jump clean off. Jumped off and put a link back on the front ring to start it climbing back on. All good until I decided to test the slack while it was still going round.. yup, finger went right round the front sprocket, puncturing my forefinger through the nail bed and throwing me and the bike flying.
A little closer to home this time, I recall throwing the bike out of my way, screaming and running all the way home with blood rushing down my arm.
Another screaming mother, then a towel wrapped around my hand and the fastest Renault18 ride to the docs ever seen.. tetanus injection and a finger condom for weeks. My finger was black by the time I got to the docs, oil got in there.. manky.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

When I was 7 or 8 my Dad bought me a MX bike. I enjoyed it until one day I rode round to a friend's house. I flew up his steep drive and when I crested the top I went straight into a large concrete planter. The motorbike stopped and I continued for what seemed like ages then returned to earth with a bang. Thankfully nothing broken but that was me done with the bike.

Dad continued to use it for a while for nipping to the pub and popping round to his friends.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I had loads of sprained ankles and wrists as a kid but never a full break. My brother kicked a door open once which swung open and caught me on the forehead. Still gave the scar

I’ve broken my nose a few times. Once playing Gaelic where I took a high catch, spun round as I came down straight into a knee. Once kayaking and once while drunk. We formed an 8 man scrum, I was the hooker but forgot to have anything to push against. I went straight down on my nose :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Plenty of stupid kid style stunts of going over handlebars, falling off bikes with torn clothes, scrapes and bruises. Possibly the stupidest one was wanting to see what happened when I locked both wheels on solid ice (answer: you end up upside down under your bike in a reed bed with torn jeans, a slightly broken bike, ice cold water seeping through your clothes, a sore knee, bruises and a long walk home).

The only break I've managed was about as boring as they come. Age 14 (or thereabouts) we were running circles in PE and switched to sideways running. Doing that I went over on my right foot (in the direction I was running so full weight on it) and there was a small click noise, followed by some much louder noises as I put my foot down again.

I'd broken the fifth metatarsal (the long bones in the foot) on my right foot and got six weeks on crutches for it. It did also get me out of chores at home, so there's that. My sisters still remind me about it. The clearest memory is of the look on my dad's face when the doctor said the bone was broken. He'd been rather unhappy about having to leave work in the middle of the day to take me to A&E (he had the car, so no choice really). Suddenly he was less unhappy!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Loads of trips to hospital through skateboarding
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

All of mine until into late 30's have been as a result from mountain biking. Most impressive perhaps was washing out at speed on a tree root and my left elbow taking the landing resulting in cuts deep enough between my elbow and halfway down my forearm I could easily see the bone. Cleaning the dirt out of that with a brush that was as soft as anything I've ever felt actually felt like it being cleaned with a wire crush abrasive wheel.

I also fell off and landed shin first on the chainwheel, I have a chunk out of my shin bone from that resulting in a lovely hollow on my leg.

The most problematic have been from the car accident a few years ago though...

Edit to add, having now read Rich's post it reminded me of falling off the arm of the lounge chair as a kid and landing onto the corner of the sideboard cupboard thing cutting my head open about a centimeter from my eye. I forgot that one. Ended up with a matching one on the other side from a mate and his inability to keep hold of a golf club when he was swinging it in our teens.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I had a remarkable escape when mountain biking back in the day. I had a Speedo and hit 40mph on a fast forest track. Then binned it. I must have travelled 100 feet before I came to a stop and flew past rocks, tree stumps, all sorts of stuff. No helmet but no damage bar cuts and bruises.

When I think back to the stuff I did without a helmet between the age of 12 and 16, I’m lucky to be alive.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

Yes. This.

And now I have a bike with a zillion inches of travel I fucking hate getting air. I get fucking astral projections of how much it's going to hurt. As it is I went biking in Jan, had a great time, no injuries. Sore shoulders from a good workout plus shitty Air BnB bed meant I woke with a stiff neck which is currently nerve damage down my arm and requires Xrays and ultrasound. And I didn't even come off.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »