Drones

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Drones

Post by Gavster »

What's good and cheap :lol: for 4K footage?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Drones

Post by Jobbo »

... and the odd tactical strike?
mik

Post by mik »

DJI Mavic Mini 2 does 4K.

I have the original Mini (which doesn’t do 4K) and so long as you are not worried about limited sensors and limited automated shooting modes - it’s feckin great.

Not much bigger than a glasses case though, so can disappear from view pretty easily, and super light weight means greater impact from wind and gusts. Although the software keeps things pretty steady - this was a feckin windy day.

Do get their “care pack” though.

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

This is one of those things I've been putting-off purchasing for a while, not just because of Mrs Mike's obvious disapproval, but more because the market seemed to be moving so damn quickly.

The Mini looks fantastic, just needed to see how it does for object tracking as it would be quite cool to have that for biking/running in the hills.
Cheers,

Mike.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I have similar reservations about buying because of the ever improving specs.

My Mrs is the opposite though, she keeps encouraging me to buy one, however I think she thinks a decent one is about £100 :lol:

Magic mini 2 for £400 + accessories… may well do the job
Cheers, Harry
mik

Post by mik »

Ascender wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:57 am
The Mini looks fantastic, just needed to see how it does for object tracking as it would be quite cool to have that for biking/running in the hills.
If you want to do a lot of tracking you probably need to step up to the Mavic Air. Far more on-board tech (plus collision avoidance sensors) but a sizeable step up in £’s too.
mik

Post by mik »

Also consider what you are going to fly it with. I used my phone initially (iPhone Xr) which was pretty tricky. Now use an iPad mini which is massively easier. Considered getting a full size iPad instead, but you are juggling image size vs ergonomics. I figured there wasn’t much point having a tiny case containing drone, controller, 3 batteries, if I then had to hawk a big tablet around. And the weight relative to the controller becomes awkward too.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Looks like we're nearly ready for a forum group buy :lol:

Super useful info :) the Mavic Mini would be totally fine for my needs, which would be aerial landscape shots. Noted about the iPhone/iPad for control too
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

mik wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:14 am
If you want to do a lot of tracking you probably need to step up to the Mavic Air. Far more on-board tech (plus collision avoidance sensors) but a sizeable step up in £’s too.
That was what I thought the last time I looked. I'm ideally looking for something I can shove in a rucksack if I'm walking/running/biking. But maybe the tracking is a trade-off I need to make.
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

Ascender wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:57 am
mik wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:14 am
That was what I thought the last time I looked. I'm ideally looking for something I can shove in a rucksack if I'm walking/running/biking. But maybe the tracking is a trade-off I need to make.
Yeah the mini is a really easy carry. All you need in here (for >1.5hrs total flight time) - bic pen as size reference, and it all weighs 1.2kg.

My BIL got a Mavic Air2 and (not my image) everything is a LOT chunkier.

Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Thanks for that, the Mini really does look like the one I want/"need"....
Cheers,

Mike.
tim

Post by tim »

Don't overlook the CAA registration, legal and insurance issues of owning these. And people will complain like fvck everywhere you go.
Simon

Post by Simon »

And don't also ignore the local bylaws that will dictate where you can fly too. You can't just legally pitch up at any public space and use it, even if you are the right distance from buildings, people, etc.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

There was some dude whizzing his drone around Tower Bridge at night a few months ago :shock: bet he didn't have any permissions to do that.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I'd need to look at the bylaws, regs etc, but would try to not be a dick when using it which would be a good start I think.
Cheers,

Mike.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Had a Phantom 3 Advanced a few years ago, but then sold it because I’d flown it everywhere I was ever likely to and didn’t think I would miss it. And I haven’t. But been away these last few days down in Dorset and the countryside is stunning. Thought would be quite nice to have some aerial shots so been onto eBay and just bought another P3A for a pretty decent price coz we’ll be back here in a few weeks, plus other new places of course. Not cutting edge tech I know but HD or slightly better is good enough for me. Currently reading up on those CAA requirements as mentioned. All changed from when I last had one.