Ukraine

Foz

Re: Ukraine

Post by Foz »

He’s also allegedly the worlds richest person..
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:59 am
duncs500 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:19 am
V8Granite wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:02 am The backlash within Russia is far bigger than expected and probably the biggest chance of stopping all this.

Dave!
I can't find anything of any scale in the media Dave!, where have you seen that?
I watched on AlJazeera that 1400 had been arrested for rallies against the war. A brave thing to do in Russia.

Dave!
My girlfriend is Russian and her family still live in Russia, they are all calling it the "One man war", because most people in Russia don't want it, it's just Putin.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

duncs500 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:40 am
BBC News wrote: Mr Blinken also reiterated US President Joe Biden's position that the possibility of expanding existing US sanctions to target Mr Putin directly was still "on the table", if the situation were to escalate.
Err, how much more escalation do you want? Why wouldn't this be the first thing they did?
I've seen that question asked a lot, and no answers. All I can think of is that it's a way to drive a bit of a wedge between him & his cronies. If they're getting penalised but he's not, it prevents him using a "we're all in it together" angle.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I suppose we just have to trust them to do the right thing. One always imagines people in possession of intelligence info and knowledge of the region and strategy will be saying "Putin will do this, and we'll do that, and he'll respond with this..." etc. Playing it out to the end game, whilst the rest of are feeding off scraps of info.

I do think there's been a clear shift in the West's strategy in terms of being the world police. It's simply too expensive, too unpopular, and too ineffective for us to go wading in with troops when some dictator or regime decides to go rogue. Particularly in todays post covid, debt ridden society. The worry is that not doing it will make the eyes of oppressive regimes across the world light up. Depressing really.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Strategies will change, for all we know there could be a team of US hackers tearing into the Kremlin's digital infrastructure. Putin would never admit it and the US would never tell anyone.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

They’ve already hacked it haven’t they. The US and UK seem to know every step of Putin’s plan and it’s all been very accurate so far.
Russia isn’t as strong as they let on if the report that they’ve lost 450 soldiers and failed to take the airport north of Kiev with Spetsnaz is accurate. The main problem with any future conflict with them is that you’ve now got another unpredictable nutcase with nukes…
How about not having a sig at all?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Gavster wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:57 am
V8Granite wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:59 am
duncs500 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:19 am

I can't find anything of any scale in the media Dave!, where have you seen that?
I watched on AlJazeera that 1400 had been arrested for rallies against the war. A brave thing to do in Russia.

Dave!
My girlfriend is Russian and her family still live in Russia, they are all calling it the "One man war", because most people in Russia don't want it, it's just Putin.
... and that seems to be the impression you get from the way he is behaving with his own advisors in public and how they respond when around him, so if that's true, I wonder what on earth goes on behind the scenes there to keep him in power and what it would take for someone to try over-throwing him.
Cheers,

Mike.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I remember when Abramovich bought Chelsea the rumours went round that he literally disappeared for 2 years and then came back super rich, a friend of Putin and he then went on a spending spree.

It makes me wonder how many of the rich in Russia owe Putin a favour.

Dave!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Ascender wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:04 am d what it would take for someone to try over-throwing him.
Historically, you need the military to lead a coup in Russia but they, at least on the surface, seem on his side
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:12 am It makes me wonder how many of the rich in Russia owe Putin a favour.
All of them ? That, and/or they're paying him protection money in some form. A massively corrupt elite all at the expense of the citizens.

One cheering thought though, is that Putin can't be unaware of how it normally plays out for dictators. They don't often die of old age.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:27 am
V8Granite wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:12 am It makes me wonder how many of the rich in Russia owe Putin a favour.
All of them ? That, and/or they're paying him protection money in some form. A massively corrupt elite all at the expense of the citizens.

One cheering thought though, is that Putin can't be unaware of how it normally plays out for dictators. They don't often die of old age.
Well, the ones that do, it's almost always in prison at best.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

The Moscow exchange absolutely crapped itself yesterday

Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

FTSE100 dropped a bit but seems to be recovering already.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Full marks to the Ukrainian soldiers in Snake Island who when threatened with a Russian warship coastal barrage, told the Russians to go fuck themselves.

I mean, they're all dead now, because, well, warship, so it's not all great, but still.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Beany wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:10 am Full marks to the Ukrainian soldiers in Snake Island who when threatened with a Russian warship coastal barrage, told the Russians to go fuck themselves.

I mean, they're all dead now, because, well, warship, so it's not all great, but still.
Just looked that up, wow, incredible bravery.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

It's also being reported that the Ukrainians have managed to hit an airbase on Russian soil.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

duncs500 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:11 am
Beany wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:10 am Full marks to the Ukrainian soldiers in Snake Island who when threatened with a Russian warship coastal barrage, told the Russians to go fuck themselves.

Just looked that up, wow, incredible bravery.
https://www.politico.eu/article/go-fuck ... ip-killed/
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

I’ve just seen footage on TV of a Russian APC deliberately swerve to run over a civilian vehicle driving in the opposite direction. Unbelievable.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Then he gets out alive. I'm watching it now.

I think it's about time that Putin has a forever sleep in a bye-bye box. He's insane.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

I see Assad is backing him, why has he not been sniped yet?!