Your fleet running reports

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Gavster »

Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:55 pm Tap it back in, fresh oil, job's a gooddun.
Luckily I have you guys to set things straight :lol: picking it up from BMW later this morning to take it to the lazy guys at the garage nextdoor :)
John

Post by John »

Virtual Revels all around to those who said the Panda rattle was a spring. Front nearside had lost about a quarter of a coil and I had to get my probing camera out to see it.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I managed to hit a large Hare in the TT.

Front bumper and lower grill ruined so I’m now on the lookout for replacements, bugger.

Dave!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Gavster wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:21 pm BMW have just let me know that one of my driveshafts is hanging out :shock:

Is that at all related to the demolition of the rear wheel?
mik

Post by mik »

Surprised it popped a driveshaft out without ripping suspension off
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

mik wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:31 pm Surprised it popped a driveshaft out without ripping suspension off
Yeah you're right mik - how is there any slack to even do that?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

There’s quite a lot of in/out movement in a cv joint ( and of course two per driveshaft )

I expect a sudden jolt and the right movement of the suspension might be enough to pop the spring clip and pull the shaft.
Cheers, Harry
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:36 pm
Gavster wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:21 pm BMW have just let me know that one of my driveshafts is hanging out :shock:

Is that at all related to the demolition of the rear wheel?
Probably, I should have got the whole thing fully taken apart by BMW when it happened, it would've made a nice insurance claim.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:44 pm There’s quite a lot of in/out movement in a cv joint ( and of course two per driveshaft )

I expect a sudden jolt and the right movement of the suspension might be enough to pop the spring clip and pull the shaft.
Ahh, ok. I'd always assumed there was a little slack but just not that much.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

mr_jon wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:25 pm
Yeah I mentioned you a few pages back but probably didn't tag you. Still not really driven it but hoping to start having a look at it tomorrow so it's ready for the road in a cpl of weeks. What's the shiz on the preferred oil on this motor?

I noticed the gearing is really, really long on the short drive back. 6th is barely 1k rpm at 50 or so? Much longer than the X-Trail.
Whatever's on offer at ECP or Opie Oils. As long as it's low soot (C2 I think) stuff. I'm not precious with it.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

mr_jon wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:56 pm Cheers, looks tidy enough. Probably should qualify it that I need >45mpg, family hatch size minimum as the kids insist on growing. Been looking at Auris SR180 Gwarrrrred-spec to return to my Toyota roots. Had a (modern) Nissan Pulsar as a company pool car and that would fit the bill, but they are fetching too much money.
Ah, now I see it! 45mpg is possible, but I think that would be sitting at 56mph with the trucks. Too late now I know!

I'm off up to Skipton for a job next week, then over to Whitby for a long weekend with the wife. No lairy driving with her in the car, so I'll see what I can eek out of mine. If it cracks 40mpg, I'll be amazed.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Beany

Post by Beany »

<snip>
So what you're saying is the back is hanging out of it?
mik

Post by mik »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:44 pm There’s quite a lot of in/out movement in a cv joint ( and of course two per driveshaft )

I think your supposition is probably bob on.. Just surprised that is possible even at full suspension drop, and with all bushes squeezed to the max. But if there had been an impact….. who knows.

What you can be sure of is that even with big levers and hammery persuaders - you’d never be able to pop one of out with the suspension intact if you bloody wanted to!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

They’re one of those magical car parts which will fall out when you don’t want it to, but be an absolute sod to get out when you’re laying on your back getting covered in muck :lol:
Cheers, Harry
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:01 am I look forward to the ‘my icarsoft won’t reset the Cayenne service indicator’ post in a few days.
I decline to comment.

Apart from that it's a very nice piece of kit. I can even browse the forum from it 8-)

777A1AA5-E03F-4A05-858D-F8457E055254.jpeg
777A1AA5-E03F-4A05-858D-F8457E055254.jpeg (85.95 KiB) Viewed 879 times
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Hmm, I can browse the forum and not reset a Cayenne service indicator on various devices I already own… is it useful compared to my cheap OBD2 reader?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Wow, you really are being grumpy about this !
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Not at all - amused, if anything 😄

Is there a way to reset the service indicator through the in car stuff? I think you can with my Audi which is not dissimilar in VAG era to your Cayenne.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Borrowed the X5 this morning as I needed to move some shelving which wouldn’t fit in the Defender without taking the rear seats out. All goes well until I’m returning the car and I noticed the steering judder quite badly. Stop at a pub carpark and notice the stink of cooked brakes and the front left wheel giving out quite a bit of heat.
Let it cool, drive home slowly. Order reconditioned calliper and pads. Have lunch and collect parts. Replace everything and test drive car - all good and luckily the disc isn’t warped.

Pleased with how quick I fixed it.
How about not having a sig at all?
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

V60 MOT passed with no advisories, i have spotted an oil leak from the driveshaft seals so ill buy a couple and get them replaced.

XF serviced, cant argue for 270 quid, air, fuel, pollen and oil filters changed, decent oil used, forte fuel treatment added and everywhere greased.

A proper service at a good price!

All the paint is coming off the springs on the XF and they look pretty corroded, might get a set of Spires or Eibachs.