Your fleet running reports

mr_jon

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by mr_jon »

Must be a long re-test!

Picked up an Auris SR180 this lunchtime. Local car, bit knocked about but not big miles and has a good service history, 90% main dealer. Drives well, feels like it needs the EGR attending to as a bit down on power. Hopefully it's the sort of relaxed fixer-upper that I find satisfying but hopefully not too stressful. 3dr is the only disadvantage with the kids, but realistically a lot of the time it's likely to be one driver and one passenger. Bit gutted about going back to 100% dino juice after five years, but it is what it is. The Leaf goes back after half term hols.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Fuck me, two Auris SR180's on the forum? What are the chances!

I clean my EGR every 6000 miles as they soot up real fast. Luckily it's super easy to get to. Mine never felt punchy until I put a tuning box on it , now it has some decent heft. Terrible on fuel for a derv, but a fantastic cruiser and super reliable.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

mr_jon wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:52 pm Must be a long re-test!
It turned into a slight palaver, yes !

Failed due to lack of airbag. Fair enough but it’s quite annoying when people do their job properly. I asked the guy on the desk, who appeared to be a manager of some kind, whether the retest would be *just* the airbag. He said yes. This was important because I knew the airbag was easy but the horn was not. The airbag wiring is bypassed so for the MOT the airbag just needed to be preset. The cars thinks there’s one connected regardless. The horn however needed some modification to the wiring to make it work with the MOMO and it’d need a bit more work.

Anyway, in the last update here I was sitting waiting for the (first) retest. MOT tester had to finish the test he was on before he could look at mine. Eventually came back.

Tester: the horn doesn’t work now
Me: I know
Tester: I can’t pass it I’m afraid

Because the whole wheel had changed and that includes the horn, that means the horn has changed and needs to be retested too. Gah !!!!

Back home. Tools & soldering iron out. Bodged in some wire to make the horn work. Back to the garage and second retest passed :D I think the bloke just wanted to go home for his tea by that point.
mik

Post by mik »

Spent 10mins fitting the new Evora battery last night. (Ordered from Tanya batteries around 4pm on a Sunday - it arrived before 09:00 on Monday - very well packaged - excellent service).

Not a hard job, but the alarm/immobiliser of course went nuts when the new battery was connected, and tapping the unlock button in the fob did nothing. Neither did sticking the key in the ignition. As my ears were about to melt I pressed the lock button and it all stopped. Doesn’t seem very logical to me, but Phew!

Image for @Marv - picture better demonstrates how the plynth has a flat surface (suitable for adhesive pads) for approx 55% of the plate height only, so I reluctantly went with screws again.

16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Have to take the XF for a service on Friday. This feels a bit alien to me, and is the first time I've ever paid for someone else to service my car!
But it's worth it to keep the warranty should the worst happen, I suppose.

V60 in for MOT on the same day, had a look round it and nothing obvious for it to fail on but we shall see, dont have time to get it up in the air unfortunately.

Will get an alignment done at the same time on the V60 as its on new tyres, so it wont hurt to make sure its all set up ok.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Fulfilled my dad’s Xmas present which was a wheel refurb
They came out well but the BMW badges were wrong when I eventually did see it so ordered the correct ones from BMW online.
Balls. New wrong un’s with the old knackered correct ones to show difference. So actually went into a BMW parts department and the chap comes out with the same fecking ones again but my explanation of the situation just results in a “Computer Says No” type response.
So I guess they’re discontinued…
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:49 am New wrong un’s with the old knackered correct ones to show difference.
Erm…. And the difference is…. ? :?

Edit : is it fully domed vs a flared outer rim? (Sounds painful)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

mik wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:51 am
Mito Man wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:49 am New wrong un’s with the old knackered correct ones to show difference.
Erm…. And the difference is…. ? :?

Edit : is it fully domed vs a flared outer rim? (Sounds painful)
Yes, old badges were recessed and flat. New ones being domed actually sit a bit proud of the wheel.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Are they diamond cut alloys? How did the refurb go?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

They came out perfect but the wheels weren't curbed, just all the paint was bubbling off as BMW did a crap refurb years ago. Was told this is the last time they can be diamond cut - in future it will need a 2 tone paint job to replicate the diamond cut.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

The older style centre caps looked crap when new - the newer style fit exactly the same centre holes and are far nicer. Do you really want that rim of grey plastic?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I prefer the older style ones on older cars at least.
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

Kona Electric has arrived this afternoon. Only done around 8 miles so far during lunch time. Going to take me a few days to get my head around a lot of the kit on it but it'll fun trying it out.

I've put the regen settings up to 3 but it doesn't quite stop. Maybe I need to change another setting as it still creeps without using the accelerator in drive/reverse.
mik

Post by mik »

Regen doesn’t work as you approach zero mph.

Wasn’t aware any EV had creep built in though.
tim

Post by tim »

Jaguar XJ8 3.2 I'm Sorry I've Forgotten My Wallet Edition

Finally some progress! Nearside welding is done, which was the worst of the two. Sills and engine bay. Back on it Friday apparently so maybe sometime next week I might get it back. Have asked them to change the diff oil while they have it.

Rover 45 1.4 16v Expression S Why Are You Hanging Around A School Edition

Tyres still leak air on the back, and are about 2mm off legal limit. Fun on the damp greasy roads. The electrical issue has gone away after my cable tie/electrical tape fix, and it's running very nicely. CE light is on but that just needs resetting post all the fucking about with the wiring to the injectors.

Will be on the 'bay a couple of weeks after the Jag returns.
Barry

Post by Barry »

KevH18 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:35 pm Kona Electric has arrived this afternoon. Only done around 8 miles so far during lunch time. Going to take me a few days to get my head around a lot of the kit on it but it'll fun trying it out.

I've put the regen settings up to 3 but it doesn't quite stop. Maybe I need to change another setting as it still creeps without using the accelerator in drive/reverse.
If you want to use the regen to stop the car, hold the left flap and it should hold the car once it stops. Failing that, hit "AUTOLOCK" and a press of the brake pedal will engage the auto handbrake.Simple press of the throttle to release, as you drive off.

I find I fiddle with the regen (via paddles) a lot, I run at lvl1 generally, and bump it up on steep downhills (to hold speed) and even switch it off and coast on long gentle downhills (better to roll a mile, than regen half mile back into the battery).

None of this is EVO driving but there's toys to keep you occupied at least :lol:
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

BMW have just let me know that one of my driveshafts is hanging out :shock:

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Tap it back in, fresh oil, job's a gooddun.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Exactly what I was going to say, but would have added “how much did they charge to” to the start :lol:
Cheers, Harry
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Gwaredd wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:02 pm Fuck me, two Auris SR180's on the forum? What are the chances!

I clean my EGR every 6000 miles as they soot up real fast. Luckily it's super easy to get to. Mine never felt punchy until I put a tuning box on it , now it has some decent heft. Terrible on fuel for a derv, but a fantastic cruiser and super reliable.
Yeah I mentioned you a few pages back but probably didn't tag you. Still not really driven it but hoping to start having a look at it tomorrow so it's ready for the road in a cpl of weeks. What's the shiz on the preferred oil on this motor?

I noticed the gearing is really, really long on the short drive back. 6th is barely 1k rpm at 50 or so? Much longer than the X-Trail.