So, Jimmy Carr;

Gwaredd

Re: So, Jimmy Carr;

Post by Gwaredd »

:?:
Last edited by Gwaredd on Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Gwaredd wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:11 pm I guess this falls under the category of if you have to explain it, it's not funny umbrella.

I got it, thought it was near the bone but funny, never once thought it was mocking the holocaust and thought it was quite clever in that 1, everyone hates gypsies but never says it and 2, did bring to my attention to read about other ethnic groups that were killed by the Nazis that I was neither taught, nor aware of.
Same here. Watched it, enjoyed it and thought no more of it.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

I Don't think you're allowed that opinion anymore mate.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Gwaredd wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:26 pm I Don't think you're allowed that opinion anymore mate.
🙁
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

These kinds of threads are always funny because you can tell the people who don’t like to think they might have shitty opinions like “everyone hates gypsies” by how quickly they rush out to defend the shitty joke.

Just because you happen to agree with the prejudice doesn’t mean that the joke is fine.
An absolute unit
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

I disagree. That's what makes comedy so diverse and fanfuckingtastic.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Interesting take that a rich white guy punching down at a maligned minority is what makes comedy diverse.
An absolute unit
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

You can read into it however you see fit.

I thought it was a clever bit of comedy. You didn't. Move on.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Funny how this came up a month after release.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I think the consensus is that people who would’ve had an issue with the joke probably didn’t rush to watch it as you would expect something like that from a Jimmy Carr show. It wasn’t until the tweet I posted started going viral a few days ago that it got attention.

Like, I realise that nothing will probably change and I’m preaching to the wrong audience here anyway. There is a conversation so be had about how all discourse over comedy and diversity seems to centre on big comedians who are comfortable in their privilege being able to say whatever they want with no consequences.
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

What consequences should there be?
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

ZedLeg wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:56 pm I think the consensus is that people who would’ve had an issue with the joke probably didn’t rush to watch it as you would expect something like that from a Jimmy Carr show. It wasn’t until the tweet I posted started going viral a few days ago that it got attention.

Like, I realise that nothing will probably change and I’m preaching to the wrong audience here anyway. There is a conversation so be had about how all discourse over comedy and diversity seems to centre on big comedians who are comfortable in their privilege being able to say whatever they want with no consequences.
I agree that there should be a conversation but society doesn't seem to want that. They want witch hunts and confirmation bias and not being challenged in their thinking.

I took the joke at a level deeper than "gypsy = bad" and had been pondering it for a while. All my interactions with Gypsies have been unpleasant but clearly genocide is not something that should ever happen. I'm fairly certain Carr wasn't endorsing genocide but playing on people's stereotypes and prejudices but your opinion may vary.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Rich B wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:03 pm What consequences should there be?
For genocide? 10 years to life, potentially the death penalty depending on where the trial is held.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Rich B wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:03 pm What consequences should there be?
Maybe consequences is the wrong word, I’m not suggesting they should go to jail or anything.

Just tired of any criticism of folk like Carr, Joe Rogan, Dave Chappelle etc being shouted down as cancel culture or some bullshit. These guys are about as far from being cancelled as it’s possible to be.
An absolute unit
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Zed, you're in danger of becoming that which you despise.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Yes, in the same vein that we all joke that middle lane hoggers should be burned at the stake. Its just an over elaborate way of expressing our feelings for a certain type of individual. A joke. If a World leader took it upon themselves to burn millions of middle lane hoggers at the stake, we would obviously be outraged.

Well, most of us would.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

nuttinnew wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:19 pm Zed, you're in danger of becoming that which you despise.
How so?
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:37 pm Has genocide ever been funny?
This is where we get into the whole target/subject of the joke context.

As for whether it's funny - well if someone laughs then yes, by definition it must have been funny to someone.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

When you break down the components of the joke, he is quite close to it being a good joke, because he's nearly mocking the stereotypical negative judgments made about that particular ethinc group, rather than the ethnic group themselves. However, he misses the mark IMO and it falls on the wrong side of the fence and therefore could be seen as perpetuating prejudices. Ricky Gervais is a good example of someone who is generally very good at mocking people, without victimising them.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Gwaredd wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:19 pm Yes, in the same vein that we all joke that middle lane hoggers should be burned at the stake. Its just an over elaborate way of expressing our feelings for a certain type of individual. A joke. If a World leader took it upon themselves to burn millions of middle lane hoggers at the stake, we would obviously be outraged.

Well, most of us would.
The two are not comparable because the middle-lane hogger can be anyone and they're not a defined group that has been the victims of hate, violence, discrimination and murder for hundreds of years. While I'm not sure joking about them being burned at the stake for failing to drive properly is funny, the point is that it never happened, unlike the Holocaust.

From the perspective of someone who would not be here today had Hitler won the war or had it gone on for longer, the cancel culture/I don't see a problem comments smack very much of majority, no-stake-in-the-issue views, effectively telling the victims, their families and descendants that they should just accept being the butt of a joke. That he's supposedly said worse before is not an excuse or justification.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away