So, Jimmy Carr;

nuttinnew

So, Jimmy Carr;

Post by nuttinnew »

Beany

Re: So, Jimmy Carr;

Post by Beany »

"The Auschwitz Memorial called for Carr to learn about the Roma and Sinti people deported to the concentration camp"

Sometimes only watched the first part of the sketch then. Because learning about the non Jewish people killed in the Holocaust and the lack of education on the fact strikes me as literally the point of the bit.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Good bit of promo there. Perhaps they could throw another few mentions of "Netflix" in for good measure along with perhaps finishing on the shows title again?

The ironic thing is (well not ironic at all, because he mentioned it specifically) that we are learning/being reminded about the suffering of whole other groups of people that have largely been left out of the main history of the Holocaust.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Bit weird how he breaks the third wall there
Foz

Post by Foz »

Was only a matter of time, he said it himself on the Steven Bartlet diary of a CEO podcast, the joke that cancels me is already out there..
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

He does far worse at his live shows.

I think it’s cleverly done and it’s right what he said, I don’t know anyone who knew about the deaths.

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

He’s right that no one talks about it because it’s a positive?
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

The same way the Gulag atrocities aren’t really talked about despite being nearly 10x the deaths.

What he is trying to do (he says) is far better comedy than many current comedians do with petty outrage over whatever is popular to be outraged over. It’s British humour, dark.

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Both those things are talked about though.

I’ll admit I don’t like Jimmy Carr, there’s a difference between dark comedy and just being a dick. He falls into the latter imo.
An absolute unit
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

It’s not far removed from Jim Davidson and Bernard Manning jokes. He gets away with this sort of thing at his live shows but releasing it on Netflix? Oh dear.

He managed to come back from the tax evasion thing so he could find a way to get out of this, possibly. It’s not really defensible though.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

He’s told jokes about the Holocaust before and on his TV shows?

Why the outrage about this particular one I wonder??
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Has genocide ever been funny?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mik

Post by mik »

I can understand the upset, but I can’t see any way this would become a career ender.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:37 pm Has genocide ever been funny?
Nope, not for me but for others, who knows?? But who am I or anyone for that matter to censor.

The other joke I’ve heard him tell about the holocaust was far worse, in my opinion, but this one gets the attention ??
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

dinny_g wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:39 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:37 pm Has genocide ever been funny?
Nope, not for me but for others, who knows?? But who am I or anyone for that matter to censor.

The other joke I’ve heard him tell about the holocaust was far worse, in my opinion, but this one gets the attention ??
I've not heard any of his material, but as Jobbo pointed out the medium may play a part in this. Either way, nothing funny about the orchestrated and industrialised slaughter of millions of people.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

It’s the outrage about this I don’t quite get. If Peter Kay told this joke, I could understand but Jimmy Carr is Jimmy Carr, you know what your getting…
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

dinny_g wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:08 pm It’s the outrage about this I don’t quite get. If Peter Kay told this joke, I could understand but Jimmy Carr is Jimmy Carr, you know what your getting…
It's typical cancel culture. The people who are upset haven't watched it, they have just heard about it.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Did you copy and paste that from a Daily Mail comment page :lol:

This is the originating thread as far as I know, a Romany author who happened to be watching the special a few days ago.

I’m not sure that anyone would go into a comedy special expecting to see people laughing at a genocide of their people.
An absolute unit
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

I guess this falls under the category of if you have to explain it, it's not funny umbrella.

I got it, thought it was near the bone but funny, never once thought it was mocking the holocaust and thought it was quite clever in that 1, everyone hates gypsies but never says it and 2, did bring to my attention to read about other ethnic groups that were killed by the Nazis that I was neither taught, nor aware of.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Incredibly oblivious comment there.
An absolute unit