Coronavirus

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Jobbo »

Indications are that plan B restrictions will be dropped, but not masks.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The amount of people I know who've had COVID over the last 8 weeks or so has been crazy. The prediction that the current variant is more mild than previous ones seems to have panned out though, everyone I know is vaccinated and it seems to have generally hit like a regular flu.

Life seems to be going on as usual pretty much, I went for a tattoo last week and apart from the hand sanitiser and masks it was business as usual.
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I know loads of people who got it in December - I'm not sure I know any who've got it in January?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

We seemed to lag behind in the whole Teesside area so our case numbers are massive, highest rate in the country apparently
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

My other half’s office are dropping like flies at the moment. One after the other. It’s only a matter of time.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Simon

Post by Simon »

Mother-in-law has it now, which is not a surprise as sister-in-law gave her a lift in the car the other day. Expecting more on that side of the family to drop soon, considering the way they quarantine is to carry on as normal whilst saying "I'm quarantining".
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:31 am My other half’s office are dropping like flies at the moment. One after the other. It’s only a matter of time.
Dont worry its a bloody cold. :lol:
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Broccers wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:42 am
dinny_g wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:31 am My other half’s office are dropping like flies at the moment. One after the other. It’s only a matter of time.
this variant certainly seems to be - previous ones definitely weren't.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Rich B wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:46 am
Quite correct. However we are reacting to something in the now, not last time. And on that basis it's completely OTT.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Going skiing next week - catch Covid, No skiing. :(

Not worried about catching Covid - I'm worried about not being able to go Skiing.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Broccers wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:10 am
Rich B wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:46 am

Quite correct. However we are reacting to something in the now, not last time. And on that basis it's completely OTT.
Whilst that may well be true, not wanting to defend the shower of shits in Westminster, they really can't be reacting that quickly with decisions to impose or lift restrictions. There has to be a process and a timescale to be sure each time they change the rules.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Rich B wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:26 am
Rich B wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:46 am this variant certainly seems to be - previous ones definitely weren't.
Whilst that may well be true, not wanting to defend the shower of shits in Westminster, they really can't be reacting that quickly with decisions to impose or lift restrictions. There has to be a process and a timescale to be sure each time they change the rules.
There was a review on the 5th January and if they'd looked at the figures then Plan B would have been done away with then not on the 26th. Its all about control now not the effing science.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:12 am
Going skiing next week - catch Covid, No skiing. :(

Not worried about catching Covid - I'm worried about not being able to go Skiing.
Ah yes that is a worry. A mate of mine wanted to catch it so he doesnt have to have the booster before they go skiing. Thats the bizzare world we live in. Its also the main reason I'm not going with them altho I don't rate Andorra for skiing much. It was hit and miss as flying to france too - not exactly a relaxing holiday :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Andora's OK - Pal is probably the best resort but it's very low.

I'm still not 100% certain I can go - Germany still rates the UK as High Risk and trying to understand the rules is a minefield. Flying into Munich, then driving into Austria so there's the Austrian rules to follow too.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Broccers wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:46 am
Rich B wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:26 am

There was a review on the 5th January and if they'd looked at the figures then Plan B would have been done away with then not on the 26th. Its all about control now not the effing science.
what control? No one is really observing the rules, no one is presenting papers where ever they go, the gov probably has an all time low confidence vote despite the economy doing ok again. Explain what control "they" have?

The simple fact is they don't know what's happening next and are trying to be cautious so they don't have 60 million people saying I told you so after making a rash decision.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

So its not still 'law' having to wear a mask in a shop?

My other half works in posh furniture sales. They are all still masked up all day. It's absolutely ridiculous. And yes it does impact many people for no good reason.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Broccers wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:21 am So its not still 'law' having to wear a mask in a shop?

My other half works in posh furniture sales. They are all still masked up all day. It's absolutely ridiculous. And yes it does impact many people for no good reason.
so that's the total of the "control" they have - wearing a mask in a shop? That seems like a great reward for 2 years of destroying the economy and their public ratings - what a well thought out plan.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Broccers wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:21 am So its not still 'law' having to wear a mask in a shop?

Wearing a mask is not a hardship is it.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

McSwede wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:26 am

Wearing a mask is not a hardship is it.
All day, everyday at work? You probably dont have to wear one so its no hardship to you no :lol:
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Isn’t it strange. Not long ago all the conspiracy nut jobs were complaining about big brother watching their every move and saying how evil facial recognition and cctv everywhere was. But now we’re being asked to wear masks it’s some sort of governmental control to do something bonkers which I can’t even remember their argument is any more.

There is always going to be a lag between a new strain appearing, it being detected and it’s spread being measured, and it’s short and long term health effects.

Yes, omicron seems to be pretty mild for the vast majority of people, but it was spreading so quickly they had to take rapid action before they had time to see what the effects were. Like rich says, if they did nothing and got it wrong imagine the Facebook outrage.
Cheers, Harry