Power

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Power

Post by Gavster »

Over the last year in my work, I've experienced ferocious gatekeeping in certain areas of business/policy/research, where people are going out of their way to protect their own position and power. I understand that people want to maintain their positions of power, but this is that two-faced, twisted ferocity, someone pretending to be your friend and colleague whilst making unreasonable demands while trying to hijack, or cancel, your work. It's the first time that I've truly come up against things like de-platforming, aggressive discrediting or crediting, or getting whole networks turned against you. It's political machiavellian bullshit which is frankly not why I come to my desk each day, because it's turned my work from being about enjoying creating something, into second-guessing people, to ensure they don't smack things down.

It's a good life lesson, but at the same time, it's complete bullshit :lol: and at the same time, if these people feel threatened, it means I'm doing something right :)
Broccers

Re: Power

Post by Broccers »

Too right. Thats your motivation right there 8-)
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I think people are simply circling the waggons to make themselves indispensable when the bill for the past 2 years finally comes in.

Because the bill's coming, it will be huge and no company is going to escape (unless it's owned by a mate of a Tory - they'll be fine... :D )
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

TLDR - People are cunts ;)
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

This thread title just made me think of my favourite Murray Walker moment, despite it being really fuzzy.

It was an F1 race, but I can't remember who was involved or what track. CarA had spent a few laps closing the gap to CarB in front, and was looking for a way past for a lap or so.

Eventually CarA braked late into a bend and took the position cleanly, to which Murray squealed "He's past! What Power!".
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

What about Kanye :D
Marv

Post by Marv »

Since I started working with people from the Nordics about a year ago, I've found it quite refreshing how there seems to be no backstabbing or BS, and I'm generally left to get on with my job.
Oui, je suis un motard.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Marv wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:07 pm Since I started working with people from the Nordics about a year ago, I've found it quite refreshing how there seems to be no backstabbing or BS, and I'm generally left to get on with my job.
Or your reputation reputation precedes you....
Marv

Post by Marv »

Are you suggesting that because I think there's no cunts in my department, I must be the cunt? :lol:
Oui, je suis un motard.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

We can only deduce that you are the biggest cunt.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Marv wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:01 pm Are you suggesting that because I think there's no cunts in my department, I must be the cunt? :lol:
You’re a member of this forum. Being a cunt is an entry requirement
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

As a person from the Nordics I can confirm that the consensus vote (we all get a say, because we're nice that way) on @Marv was that he's a decently nice chap, so he is treated well.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Gavster wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:13 am Over the last year in my work, I've experienced ferocious gatekeeping in certain areas of business/policy/research, where people are going out of their way to protect their own position and power. I understand that people want to maintain their positions of power, but this is that two-faced, twisted ferocity, someone pretending to be your friend and colleague whilst making unreasonable demands while trying to hijack, or cancel, your work. It's the first time that I've truly come up against things like de-platforming, aggressive discrediting or crediting, or getting whole networks turned against you. It's political machiavellian bullshit which is frankly not why I come to my desk each day, because it's turned my work from being about enjoying creating something, into second-guessing people, to ensure they don't smack things down.

It's a good life lesson, but at the same time, it's complete bullshit :lol: and at the same time, if these people feel threatened, it means I'm doing something right :)
Have you thought about talking up BBQ?
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
mik

Post by mik »

DeskJockey wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:12 pm As a person from the Nordics I can confirm that the consensus vote (we all get a say, because we're nice that way) on @Marv was that he's a decently nice chap, so he is treated well.
I wasn’t allowed a membership so can’t add a full link, but I understand Marv won FDNCOTY 2019 and 2020 on www.nordiccvnts.com/forums/nonnordicgoodguyorw4nk :?:
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

mik wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:22 am
DeskJockey wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:12 pm As a person from the Nordics I can confirm that the consensus vote (we all get a say, because we're nice that way) on @Marv was that he's a decently nice chap, so he is treated well.
I wasn’t allowed a membership so can’t add a full link, but I understand Marv won FDNCOTY 2019 and 2020 on www.nordiccvnts.com/forums/nonnordicgoodguyorw4nk :?:
Your probation ends in 2025, not long to go!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

unzippy wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:41 am
Gavster wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:13 am Over the last year in my work, I've experienced ferocious gatekeeping in certain areas of business/policy/research, where people are going out of their way to protect their own position and power. I understand that people want to maintain their positions of power, but this is that two-faced, twisted ferocity, someone pretending to be your friend and colleague whilst making unreasonable demands while trying to hijack, or cancel, your work. It's the first time that I've truly come up against things like de-platforming, aggressive discrediting or crediting, or getting whole networks turned against you. It's political machiavellian bullshit which is frankly not why I come to my desk each day, because it's turned my work from being about enjoying creating something, into second-guessing people, to ensure they don't smack things down.

Have you thought about talking up BBQ?
Jesus christ that sounds like an absolutely heavenly option right now.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

The fact is that this underhand, unspoken bullshit isn't worth the stress. When these malevolent forces and their intentions are hidden, it's impossible to confront, so can only be countered with equal duplicity. Whilst I can think of ways to do that, I also need to face facts that it would be raising the stakes again and they would undoubtedly fight back, which would be a nightmare. I've got a lot of great skills and I know where I can do really well, and it's not in the same political area that I'm experiencing this bs.

Over the last seven years since quitting my old business, I've done loads of crazy different work from shooting chocolate for National Geographic in Ecuador to working on food policy in Brussels with the European Commission, and looking back on all the high points, politics simply isn't me. It's time to give more time back to my creative work, as that's where I'm happiest. Yesterday I had a drink with a pal who's got 2.5m subs on YouTube yesterday and he's not faced any of this manipulative bs.

After all, what's the point in fighting everything? Surely the point of being alive is to make each day as happy as possible?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Gavster wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:02 pm The fact is that this underhand, unspoken bullshit isn't worth the stress. When these malevolent forces and their intentions are hidden, it's impossible to confront, so can only be countered with equal duplicity. Whilst I can think of ways to do that, I also need to face facts that it would be raising the stakes again and they would undoubtedly fight back, which would be a nightmare. I've got a lot of great skills and I know where I can do really well, and it's not in the same political area that I'm experiencing this bs.

Over the last seven years since quitting my old business, I've done loads of crazy different work from shooting chocolate for National Geographic in Ecuador to working on food policy in Brussels with the European Commission, and looking back on all the high points, politics simply isn't me. It's time to give more time back to my creative work, as that's where I'm happiest. Yesterday I had a drink with a pal who's got 2.5m subs on YouTube yesterday and he's not faced any of this manipulative bs.

After all, what's the point in fighting everything? Surely the point of being alive is to make each day as happy as possible?
Can't you join forces with someone to fight them off 😎👑
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Those with the smallest empires protect them the most greedily. The people with the biggest empires tend to be the more generous and collaborative, I find.