New Daddy - FFRR

mik

Re: New Daddy - FFRR

Post by mik »

nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

KiwiDave wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:39 pm

Isn't the point of them a constant light source makes it much easier to assess distance, closing distance and speed? That's why cyclists who have flashing lights piss me off, just put them on permanently.
Ah, that explains it. Earlier I almost put "lights are there to perform a function (convey information), not just be decoration. Function over form.", but the post was already long enough. It's like decent analogue gauges; you don't have to read the numbers on the faces, you know at a glance if the needles are pointing the right way or not. Likewise, you can't tell if a car is slowing a tad or stopping if it's obscured by the brake lights' intensity.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:44 pm
they look pretty clear to me. Late, but clear!
mik

Post by mik »

I like that they are hidden before they light up.

And if you are following directly behind it - they are perfectly clear.

I just hate the position. If you are 2 cars back, you have zero chance of catching a glimpse of the indication.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:21 pm The US Mini Countryman indicators are far worse :lol:

:shock: :? :lol: :roll:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

mik wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:10 pm I like that they are hidden before they light up.

And if you are following directly behind it - they are perfectly clear.

I just hate the position. If you are 2 cars back, you have zero chance of catching a glimpse of the indication.
Considering how narrow the brake light is and the way the indicator ends up just about touching it I’d say the edge of the indicator is no more than a few inches from the edge of the car. Probably no more so than many other cars
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:37 pm I was going to say the same as nuttin. On the 7 the DRLs are much brighter than the sidelights. Because they’re intended to be used in daytime. Hence the name ;)
Presumably they aren't the same lights doing both on the 7 then?

Just checked my Audi and the DRLs and the sidelights are exactly the same LED strips lit up to the same brightness. Two photos, which are different I assure you :lol:

ETA: I've just checked one more thing and those LED strips do dim noticeably when the headlights are turned on. So they are definitely compliant with the DRL rules (they stay on when you manually turn the lights fully off). Not sure what the rules are on sidelights; perhaps because they're LED and low wattage they comply with the rules for both sidelights and DRLs without changing brightness?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:28 pm Presumably they aren't the same lights doing both on the 7 then?
They are, the "angel eyes" are used for both DRL & side, but at different brightness levels.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I'm struggling to find what the rules are on this, other than MOT testers don't check anyway. Not something I'd ever noticed before.

My Merc CLS had DRLs which could be turned off completely in the COMAND system without needing to log in with Merc's software. I'm not sure that's strictly legal either, since they should be on all the time albeit sometimes dimmer.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Mito has a dual filament 21w5w drl bulb. It runs the 21w filament as a drl and drops to the 5w sidelight function when the headlights are turned on.

Pretty sure led ones all do similar as most drls are designed to be seen from multiple angles and can be pretty dazzling at night, worse than a more powerful but properly aimed dip beam unless you’re in the bright spot.
Cheers, Harry
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

The interior seems to be stuck on the “ironic hen do” setting.

I’m expecting a bottle of Lambrini to appear, then someone squatting down to piss in the gutter, then falling over in their own piss.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:59 am
I’m expecting a bottle of Lambrini to appear, then someone squatting down to piss in the gutter, then falling over in their own piss.

Ok, but what about the video?
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

(hic)

Why am I naked and damp ? Did I miss something fun ?