New Daddy - FFRR

Swervin_Mervin

Re: New Daddy - FFRR

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

BMW are the only manufacturer I'm aware of that have always had (IMO) acceptable DRL operation, and which put the taillights on as well for the dopey plums.

My new pet hate is the front light bars as DRLs.

Again it seems to have been VAG coming up with this new light nonsense, but I've seen others adopting it as well. They're actually incredibly bright and annoyingly distracting.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:17 pm BMW are the only manufacturer I'm aware of that have always had (IMO) acceptable DRL operation, and which put the taillights on as well for the dopey plums.

Again it seems to have been VAG coming up with this new light nonsense, but I've seen others adopting it as well. They're actually incredibly bright and annoyingly distracting.
Light bars can FRO! They look shit. Porsche too with it on the rear. Horrible. Stop it!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:17 pm My new pet hate is the front light bars as DRLs.
Oh yes, that too. Rear light bars seem more prevalent than fronts, as yet - but they'll be everywhere soon.

Volvo also light the rears with DRLs, I think. Saab did too, back in the day.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:52 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:17 pm My new pet hate is the front light bars as DRLs.
Oh yes, that too. Rear light bars seem more prevalent than fronts, as yet - but they'll be everywhere soon.

It's an option on BMW now and I have my rears on all the time now. Better that the mouth breathers can see you more easily 🤞😂
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I turn on my sidelights, which basically just adds rear lights to the front DRLs, much of the time. Shame it doesn't automatically do it in Audis though.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Light bars look good on the right cars but any VAG isn’t the right car :lol:
It feels like VAG have been on a multi year campaign at this point terrorising DRLs and indicators.
How about not having a sig at all?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:17 pm BMW are the only manufacturer I'm aware of that have always had (IMO) acceptable DRL operation, and which put the taillights on as well for the dopey plums.

This is fast becoming the “this car is electric don’t you know” indicator of choice from manufacturers
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Yeah Mercedes have the ridiculously bright front bar lights and it’s obviously non directional so blinds more than the normal lights 🙄.

I like the rear one on Porsches though. 🤭

Also, on LR products, the reverse lights are well hidden and incredibly bright.. I like them being invisible until used
Cheers,

Ian
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

The rear light bar on the Taycan looks great. I also like dynamic indicators - if you're going to have LED lights, why not have them doing something interesting.
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:55 pm I turn on my sidelights, which basically just adds rear lights to the front DRLs, much of the time. Shame it doesn't automatically do it in Audis though.
As DRLs are supposed to ensure you can be seen, I never understood why you would not want people to see both ends of your vehicle. :?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I've never understood DRLs although it's backed by science and reduces the chance of someone hitting you by 5%. Bit weird that someone can miss an entire car but notice a pretty dim light during the daytime.
How about not having a sig at all?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

The only time you'll see those FFRR indicators is when the hazard's are on because it's broken down. Full width high level brake lights irritate as do many brake lights, small but v, high intensity. Another indicator annoyance is where the taillights are in the usual place on the body but the indicators are down by the reflectors (a few cars are like this, I think the MINI Clubman might be one of them); fair enough having the fog and reverse lights (two of those please) there but indicators are stupid.
Scrolling indicators are ok if they're straight imo, if they've a shape/kink in them they're shite, and the dodgy mod people do to mk7 Golfs can get straight tae fook. Apart from that... :P :lol:
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

mik wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:34 pm
Jobbo wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:55 pm I turn on my sidelights, which basically just adds rear lights to the front DRLs, much of the time. Shame it doesn't automatically do it in Audis though.
As DRLs are supposed to ensure you can be seen, I never understood why you would not want people to see both ends of your vehicle. :?
When they first popped up people were saying "well if you can't see the car in front of you, you shouldn't be driving". So why DRLs at all then ffs :lol: Remember when Volvos etc used to be mocked? "What do you need you headlights on in the day for?!!!".
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Do the front DRLs not dim when you do that (iirc drls are 22w, sides 5w (yes you've got leds but ykwim))?
mik

Post by mik »

nuttinnew wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:54 pm Remember when Volvos etc used to be mocked? "What do you need you headlights on in the day for?!!!".
For years my dad flashed every single Volvo he passed. “Your lights are on mate”. Endless amusement….
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

nuttinnew wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:56 pm
Do the front DRLs not dim when you do that (iirc drls are 22w, sides 5w (yes you've got leds but ykwim))?
They seem to be identical at the front; I’ll have another look tomorrow.

I was pretty anti DRLs when they became mandated but now I think they’re useful. They make it obvious who is a fucking idiot driving down the motorway with no rear lights on at night, for instance.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I was going to say the same as nuttin. On the 7 the DRLs are much brighter than the sidelights. Because they’re intended to be used in daytime. Hence the name ;)
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:41 pm I've never understood DRLs although it's backed by science and reduces the chance of someone hitting you by 5%. Bit weird that someone can miss an entire car but notice a pretty dim light during the daytime.
Isn't the point of them not so much so you're seen, but that a constant light source makes it much easier to assess distance, closing distance and speed? That's why cyclists who have flashing lights piss me off, just put them on permanently that way I can gauge how far away you are and what your closing speed is like much more easily. I know here a lot of our main routes between places across the country are flat single lane highways with massive straights and 100kph speed limits - figuring out whether it's safe to pull out into oncoming traffic for an overtake is much easier when the cars coming the other way have their lights on - you see them through heat haze earlier, can place them better and understand their closing speed and distance much easier.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

IanF wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:02 pm Yeah Mercedes have the ridiculously bright front bar lights and it’s obviously non directional so blinds more than the normal lights 🙄.

I like the rear one on Porsches though. 🤭
Now you mention it it was an EQC that I found particularly bright.

I don't mind rear light bars tbh. It's just the fronts that are hateful
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:52 pm

That doesn't surprise me that the Swedes do it right as well. I always liked the fact though that BMWs effectively (if not actually) replaced the sides with DRLs. Hence they never looked stupid and never seemed to join in the the latest DRL one upmanship.