Your fleet running reports

tim

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by tim »

Massive mis-fire on the Rover. I suspect a coil pack has gone. Balls.
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:37 pm
Bad news: And on the Cayenne. £600 :o
Thanks! I feel better about my £495 now. ;)
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

My Audi is £490 per year. The rules about the £335 annual surcharge for cars over £40k registered from April 2017 are annoying; it’s not when the car turns 5, it’s 5 years after the car is taxed for the second time. I’m actually a beneficiary of this because my car was an Audi demo for 3 months or so, meaning the surcharge ends when it’s 5yrs and 4 months old. If it had sat at the dealer untaxed and unsold for a year then it wouldn’t end until a year later. Bit bizarre but one to check when buying a car 17-plate or newer. DVLA’s vehicle check tells you what date the surcharge expires.
Simon

Post by Simon »

tim wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:32 pm Massive mis-fire on the Rover. I suspect a coil pack has gone. Balls.
Is it one coil or a coil per cylinder on your car? I can't remember...

When I used to be in Rover-land I remember they used to burn through their HT leads with a surprising regularity, so don't dismiss that if you have them.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Later ones are individual coils, middle ones are a double coil pack on the back of the block ( I have a spare if Tim’s is that type, but I doubt it ) early ones are single coil with cap and rotor arm.
Cheers, Harry
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Zoe's reversing light had stopped working, so bought a replacement bulb. Looks like I'll need a whole new unit instead, as when I unscrewed the (downwards facing) holder a load of water drained out. As the bulb holder is the lowest point in the unit, guess where the water pools...

Dried it all out as best I could and fitted the new bulb. It works, will see for how long.

One continued annoyance with the Zoe is the lack of storage. The glovebox is uselessly small and awkwardly shaped and none of the other storage bins are much better. Having the fairly slim manual in its folder takes up almost an entire door bin.

Also replaced the windscreen wipers on both cars.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

integrale_evo wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:05 pm Later ones are individual coils, middle ones are a double coil pack on the back of the block ( I have a spare if Tim’s is that type, but I doubt it ) early ones are single coil with cap and rotor arm.
On the 214 this coil was right in the water stream when it was heavy rain. So a small can of wd40 was always present in the glovebox :lol:

Dave!
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:37 am… a load of water drained out.
Two things that have proved useful in the past:

1) Remove the light unit and trickle super glue along any seams on the top & sides. Super glue is quite thin and capillary action will draw it into any gaps. You can even get different weights of super glue. And super glue cures by contact with moisture.

2) For a proper bodge, drill a small hole in the bottom of the light unit. It won’t stop water getting in but it’ll let it straight back out again 8-)
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

It’s 2021 and it’s ridiculous people still can’t make lights which don’t fill with water or wiring looms which can withstand a door opening and closing lots of times :lol: :lol:
Cheers, Harry
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:39 am
DeskJockey wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:37 am… a load of water drained out.
Two things that have proved useful in the past:

1) Remove the light unit and trickle super glue along any seams on the top & sides. Super glue is quite thin and capillary action will draw it into any gaps. You can even get different weights of super glue. And super glue cures by contact with moisture.

2) For a proper bodge, drill a small hole in the bottom of the light unit. It won’t stop water getting in but it’ll let it straight back out again 8-)
Good bodging. Will try.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

integrale_evo wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:44 am It’s 2021 and it’s ridiculous people still can’t make lights which don’t fill with water or wiring looms which can withstand a door opening and closing lots of times :lol: :lol:
Now even more than ever it’s make it last for warranty and after that they don’t care
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:43 pm My Audi is £490 per year. The rules about the £335 annual surcharge for cars over £40k registered from April 2017 are annoying; it’s not when the car turns 5, it’s 5 years after the car is taxed for the second time. I’m actually a beneficiary of this because my car was an Audi demo for 3 months or so, meaning the surcharge ends when it’s 5yrs and 4 months old. If it had sat at the dealer untaxed and unsold for a year then it wouldn’t end until a year later. Bit bizarre but one to check when buying a car 17-plate or newer. DVLA’s vehicle check tells you what date the surcharge expires.
Yup - I remember thinking the 4C had cheap tax, forgot about the 2017 change and being an August 2017 registered is therefore £510/yr. :(
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

integrale_evo wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:44 am It’s 2021 and it’s ridiculous people still can’t make lights which don’t fill with water or wiring looms which can withstand a door opening and closing lots of times :lol: :lol:
But then how will they charge you for parts and repair? /cynic

Many water relates issues I've had have been caused by either parking on a hill and it filling places it shouldn't, or leaves blocking drain holes.
Unless it's a Lotus. I got told by a Lotus dealer than mine was caused because it was a Friday car. The Evora also loved to pool water all over the place too.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Oh, I’m sure they can, but it would make the cars too expensive. Upgrade every single part on the car to last longer and it’d probably double the price, or more.
tim

Post by tim »

integrale_evo wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:05 pm Later ones are individual coils, middle ones are a double coil pack on the back of the block ( I have a spare if Tim’s is that type, but I doubt it ) early ones are single coil with cap and rotor arm.
Two coil packs, feeding 1&4 and 2&3. I took it all apart, reassembled it and it's fine now. So fucked if I know!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I collected the 320d (177) SE the other day. Very happy with it. Drove well on the way home and autobox shifted nicely. Engine feels strong too.

Downside were that MOT showed up needing new tyres which they duly replaced. Sadly tyres were winters and a 50 profile rather than 45 😂. They're random Chinese ditchfinders so at least match with the shite on the front axle. Hankook All-Seasons are getting fitted on Tuesday.

Also noticed wobbly O/S mirror which I've fixed. Also realised it has blue interior lights that need swapping out as well as BMW logo puddle lights which are tatty.

Overall. Very happy with it.
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

Exige has been in for service and MOT. Thankfully other than the front tyres being around 3MM, no other advisories. Whilst in, it had the front grilles touched up due to them taking a pounding. A feared fault with the alarm turned out to be me simply being a moron and simply deadlocking the car instead.

Given winter is on the way, it’s now snuggled up with a companion for the next few months. A minty fresh Jag XK-RS that sounds properly rude.

JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Oh to have a garage that's not full of stuff (oh, and a couple of cars like that in there) 8-)
Left over crest; tightens.
mik

Post by mik »

Maurice wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:06 pm other than the front tyres being around 3MM
That’s brand new for Cup2’s non? ;)
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

We've got all our cars on monthly direct debits for the ved now which makes it slightly easier to not realise just how much the Boxster costs.

Oh, and I'm back on Bosch windscreen wipers. Turns out the cheaper ones from eBay fall apart after a short while. Who knew.
Cheers,

Mike.