No F1 thread?

McSwede

Re: No F1 thread?

Post by McSwede »

Barely watch F1 nowdays but was really looking forward to this. That result has made it feel like wasted time. Disgrace! Not a fair outcome.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Anyone watching Ted now? Interesting that there’s a thought that Perez was only fuelled for 3/4 of the race so he could be more fighty with Hamilton. Explains the sudden retirement which caught even Perez off guard.
How about not having a sig at all?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Mercedes has lodged a complaint.

If Perez wasn't adequately fuelled, what would that mean? Disqualification for him presumably, but if it was a team strategy would it hurt Max too? Either way, there's always going to be a shadow hanging over Max's win today.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
tim

Post by tim »

Exactly the right call, IMO. I didn't really care who won ultimately, only that they were actually racing. And a one lap duke it out for a championship title is a good result in my book. It was even a clean overtake by Max.

The post-race whining and protesting can get in the sea.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:40 pm Mercedes has lodged a complaint.

If Perez wasn't adequately fuelled, what would that mean? Disqualification for him presumably, but if it was a team strategy would it hurt Max too? Either way, there's always going to be a shadow hanging over Max's win today.
I don’t think there are any rules on having to have enough fuel to finish the race, only fuel flow during and no mid race refuelling.
Cheers, Harry
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:16 pm Anyone watching Ted now? Interesting that there’s a thought that Perez was only fuelled for 3/4 of the race so he could be more fighty with Hamilton. Explains the sudden retirement which caught even Perez off guard.
Seeing as they were still in with a chance of the constructors I find that highly doubtful. They'd have looked a bit silly if Merc had problems and RB didn't win the constructors because one of them ran out of fuel.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

integrale_evo wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:54 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:40 pm Mercedes has lodged a complaint.

I don’t think there are any rules on having to have enough fuel to finish the race, only fuel flow during and no mid race refuelling.
Perhaps (will have a look). There's an upper limit, but it would seem quite silly not to mandate that the cars must be able to finish the race. Understand that doesn't mean brimming the tanks for every race, but deliberately running that way seems like it is wrong.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

If they did put too little fuel in Peres' car - fair play, it worked! But chopping and changing goal posts for the restart was pure bollocks.

And as much as I like LHs driving, I have no issue with Mv being champion (it really doesn't affect my life).
Last edited by Rich B on Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Tbf, they retired him with 2 laps to go, most cars are fuelled to be pretty marginal, I’m not sure it would have been enough to make much of a difference. Makes sense when you hear it suggested but I don’t think it actually happened.

What did hurt was Mercedes not having bottas up there to help cover off redbull doing the opposite to Hamilton.
Cheers, Harry
teacherboy

Post by teacherboy »

Absolute travesty and a piss poor interpretation of regulation 48.12 which clearly says all lapped cars...... not just the ones separating the race leader and second place.
If they had stayed as a buffer MV would have cleared them in half a lap and then would have had to pass LH fairly on track and people would have been happy with the result.

Also MV in danger of a 5 second drop for overtaking under safety car as his nose was clearly in front of LH and afaik anyone who has ever done that has been given the 5 second penalty or worse dependent on the amount of car that is past.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I’m not a particular fan of either but I’ve just been sent this by a mate who knows his F1

Article 48.8 of the sporting regulations: "No driver may overtake another car on the track, including the safety car, until he passes the Line (see Article 5.3) for the first time after the safety car has returned to the pits"

Article 48.12: "Any cars that have been lapped by the leader will be required to pass the cars on the lead lap and the safety car"

To my mind, neither happened. I think Mercedes have a case here but I honestly don’t think they’ll be successful.

F1 stands at a bit of a crossroads here and how it reacts to this will define its credibility into the future.

If they make up the rules in the name of Entertainment, big brands aren’t going to want to pump the money in
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Simon

Post by Simon »

So glad I gave up on F1 a few years ago. I used to regularly go to the British GP as a young adult, now I can't even be bothered to watch it on free TV.

What an absolute travesty that result is. No doubt the appeal won't achieve anything. No chance of them rowing back on their result now it's been beamed around the world.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I think it's highly unlikely they'll overturn it, but they need to sort this shit out for next session. They should only be taking to the race director when summoned, it shouldn't be broadcast, and the rules should be implemented rigorously with no consideration of whether or not the result will detract from the spectacle.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Horner moaning to Masi that "we only need 1 racing lap" and then having Masi change his mind seconds later was mighty suspicious. Felt like he was clearly influenced at that moment.
Either way whatever happens it shows he's not fit for Race Director. He's an often wrong fool and he seems to do these dodgy deals behind closed doors. We still don't know what happened to Ferrari regarding their engine cheating after he struck a "confidential deal" with them.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

What I didn't see anyone on sky talk about was whether if all of the lapped cars had been required to pass would that have meant there wouldn't have been enough time to get the safety car in before the final lap.

I can't see the decision being overturned by the FIA so I expect it will go to court.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Even if it is overturned Red Bull will appeal and it will then go to court. It's not being settled this year is it :lol:
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Pete_ wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:38 pm What I didn't see anyone on sky talk about was whether if all of the lapped cars had been required to pass would that have meant there wouldn't have been enough time to get the safety car in before the final lap.

I can't see the decision being overturned by the FIA so I expect it will go to court.
The call was so late there was no chance of filtering them all past before the safety car had to get in to the pit entry to allow them a clear lap of racing.
Cheers, Harry
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

No great surprise there. This can't happen in future. Overturning the result at this stage felt wrong anyway, but please never again.
mik

Post by mik »

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.inde ... html%3famp

In case anyone is wondering what Duncs is on about
mik

Post by mik »