Barry's Europa on film

Nefarious

Barry's Europa on film

Post by Nefarious »

Here's a little drive/review of my friend and ex-racing team principle Barry's Lotus Europa

Those with longer memories might remember me waxing lyrical about driving this car back from a Jim Clarke memorial event in Duns, claiming it to be every bit as quick as a modern Elise. It is a lovely bit of kit.

Having shared a garage with and worked extensively on this car for a good 5 years +, it's also quite nice watching the video for lots of "oohh, I made that" moments :D

Special bonus geek points if you can spot what's non-standard in the repeated exhaust shots
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
drcarlos

Re: Barry's Europa on film

Post by drcarlos »

I watched that when it came out. I'm warming to James slowly as he's getting better and fairly pragmatic when driving cars and he drives lots and varied stuff too.
I was drawn to this because of GT2, it was epic on the Grindalwald track and practicaly unstickable. It's an odd looking thing but that just makes it all the more appealing. The engine is a quite a thing and the interior quite plush considering it's capabilities. The S1 Elise definitely took it's cues from here.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I don't mind Jayemm's videos but I don't subscribe, not sure what it is but it just seems like he's one of many and there's nothing special about him.

However, this is unique so I'll watch it; having seen the car at Racebase a few years ago it would be rude not to! From the very beginning it's obvious it makes a lovely noise, much nicer than a standard Elise.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

I don't mind Jayemm. I know he seems to get a fair amount of hate, but he genuinely loves cars. That Europa video is one of my favourites - I can remember seeing a blue one as a boy and thinking it was some kind of space ship.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
mik

Post by mik »

Not watched it all yet, but I know the road at the start well - is Barry over my way? (James has used this road before, so maybe it’s his preference rather than close to Barry).
scotta

Post by scotta »

mik wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:19 am Not watched it all yet, but I know the road at the start well - is Barry over my way? (James has used this road before, so maybe it’s his preference rather than close to Barry).
No he's in Salt n Sauce land.
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

scotta wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:05 am
mik wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:19 am Not watched it all yet, but I know the road at the start well - is Barry over my way? (James has used this road before, so maybe it’s his preference rather than close to Barry).
No he's in Salt n Sauce land.
Should be recognised as a failed state.

Will watch video later, car looks cracking.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Some shots of the car i took at the Jim Clark Memorial event.

ImageDSC_5223 by Scott Armstrong, on Flickr

ImageDSC_5241 by Scott Armstrong, on Flickr

ImageDSC_5238 by Scott Armstrong, on Flickr

ImageDSC_5245 by Scott Armstrong, on Flickr
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

James is based around Warwick I believe his other half is Scottish, so he take's the opportunity to shoot some vids when he's up visiting her.
mik

Post by mik »

drcarlos wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:21 am
James is based around Warwick I believe his other half is Scottish, so he take's the opportunity to shoot some vids when he's up visiting her.
Ah. Interesting.
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

I think there is no 'e' at the end of Jim Clark. Maybe there had been originally, but Colin Chapman made him remove it for added lightness! Then again, I do sit in an area of our local pub called bullshit corner... :oops: