Re: Randomness

Post by nuttinnew »

dinny_g wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:44 pm :shock: - Jesus fuck

Aye :shock: :(

mik; :D
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Dragging brakes melting the grease in the wheel bearing and that overheating would be my guess for the melty hub.
Cheers, Harry
mik

Post by mik »

Astonishing how many people think that the truck driver is at fault, or that the infrastructure is the issue as “the cyclists have nowhere else to go”. Other than waiting their turn behind other traffic of course.

<bangs head off wall>

Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

"It's London". That means it's your fault if I ride/drive like a prick.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Saying I've got camera footage only serves the purpose of proving that the trucker did nothing wrong, under UK laws at least which is what counts. Repeatedly saying it's London and you know cyclists do this all the time makes him look like an entitled prick.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

I've seen that clip before. Every single one of them is in a right turn only lane, yet all go straight on. There's an epidemic of cyclists that expect other road users to look after them, rather than relying on self preservation.

"It's my right" doesn't keep you alive.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

What a bunch of idiots.

As someone who cycles, whenever I drive in to Edinburgh, I inevitably see cyclists doing the same old cliched things that drivers accuse us of doing - jumping red lights; cycling on the pavement; not paying any attention etc. Drives me insane.
Cheers,

Mike.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I notice the HGV has blind spot mirrors so the driver could see the cyclists next to him if he bothered to look. They were next to the cab, not further back in the blind spot.

Fucking stupid to put yourself in that position if you're on a bike because you'll always come off worse in a collision with a truck but the driver was quite capable of being aware of the presence of numerous cyclists and drove into one. Blatantly his fault.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

McSwede wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:00 pm
Beany wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:21 pm
McSwede wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:41 pm

I was enjoying an evening getting pissed in the smoking room at Tigerlily in Edinburgh a few years ago and got chatting to this American chap who was over on a shoot. He said to me "Scotland sure is a nice part of England" 😂😂.
So how long did he live after that?
Once I stopped laughing I did point out that it might be best if he didn't say that to anyone Scottish. 😂
🤯 Outrageous! I mean, it’s not even in my top 5..

😜
Cheers,

Ian
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I'd say 50:50. Both travelling into the same spot and both likely visible to each other. Still, the cyclists shouldn't have been in the left turn lane, and I'm sure they'd have little sympathy if anyone in a vehicle would have tried that manoeuvre.

Plus, what happened to the idea of self preservation and personal responsibility?
GG.

Post by GG. »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:19 pm Plus, what happened to the idea of self preservation and personal responsibility?
They've been replaced by the twin beliefs of self satisfaction and personal irresponsibility.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:19 pm I'd say 50:50. Both travelling into the same spot and both likely visible to each other. Still, the cyclists shouldn't have been in the left turn lane, and I'm sure they'd have little sympathy if anyone in a vehicle would have tried that manoeuvre.

Plus, what happened to the idea of self preservation and personal responsibility?
Do you think the HGV driver would have come out shouting if the cyclist he hit had gone under his wheels?

Those road markings are not instructions and have no legal effect.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:37 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:19 pm I'd say 50:50. Both travelling into the same spot and both likely visible to each other. Still, the cyclists shouldn't have been in the left turn lane, and I'm sure they'd have little sympathy if anyone in a vehicle would have tried that manoeuvre.

Do you think the HGV driver would have come out shouting if the cyclist he hit had gone under his wheels?

To your question - I doubt it. However, WTF has that got to do with anything? I didn't say the HGV driver wasn't at fault. But likewise, as road users, the cyclists who started from the wrong lane and proceeded despite seeing the FUCK OFF MASSIVE HGV getting ever closer to them, also must share a portion of the blame. I don't see what the lorry driver's subsequent actions have to do with anything.

Regarding your point about the markings - you are indeed correct. But, that doesn't preclude anyone from understanding their purpose and not being dicks does it? In the case of drivers of vehicles, undertaking manoeuvres contrary to the road markings can be used to pursue cases of driving without due care. I'm not well up enough to know whether there are any similar actions that could eb brought against pedal cyclists. In the case of drivers it could also be used against you with regard to any insurance claim, in terms of apportion of fault.

I don't get the mindset of these idiots at all. I doubt if they were in a car they'd continue willfully to having an accident - they'd probably for the most part take evasive action. So what is it about so exposed, and therefore significantly more likely to be injured or killed, that means they act in this way when they're on a bike?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Anyone know what happened to the lorry driver after that?
Can see why shortage of lorry drivers. You're just going about your way on already cramped roads and a split second act of stupidity by a selfish cyclist later has you landed in jail...
How about not having a sig at all?
GG.

Post by GG. »

Pretty sure they would from a contributory negligence point of view ;)
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:11 pm Anyone know what happened to the lorry driver after that?
Can see why shortage of lorry drivers. You're just going about your way on already cramped roads and a split second act of stupidity by a selfish cyclist later has you landed in jail...
Someone quoted on twitter that the footage was used against the driver and no charges were bought or they were subsequently dropped.

Not sure if it's true or not as I didn't bother to look it up.

WRT the lines and highway code, people often quote laws about unsecured animals in a vehicle being an offence and I've seen that (it could be just nonsense FB posts) if you have an unsecured dog in a car and you are involved in an accident then that can be used to pursue a driving without due care charge against you, but there isn't any direct law that I could find relating to the unsecured animal, it's again just something in the highway code.
Would be interesting to see if any precedents have been set for either case as they are similar in the fact that they use a contravention of a highway code rule to bring a criminal charge.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

So it's the lorry drivers responsibility to expect people to not follow the road markings and watch out for them on the inside of his vehicle rather than the people not following the road markings to give way to the lorry? Bizarre.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:38 pm I notice the HGV has blind spot mirrors so the driver could see the cyclists next to him if he bothered to look. They were next to the cab, not further back in the blind spot.

Fucking stupid to put yourself in that position if you're on a bike because you'll always come off worse in a collision with a truck but the driver was quite capable of being aware of the presence of numerous cyclists and drove into one. Blatantly his fault.

That blind spot mirror is not much bigger than a large phone, and the cyclist will have appeared as a not much more than a dot. I drive a van for work and visibility is shocking when all you’ve got is a mirror. That situation would only end one way, the wagon can’t go right, and the cyclists are in a lane which ends- so wouldn’t necessarily be looking in that mirror.

Wagon driver has my sympathy there, what was he supposed to do, stop dead in the middle of a junction?
mik

Post by mik »

Eh? :?

I’m not going to argue a point of law with a lawyer, but that doesn’t seem to make much sense.