Your fleet running reports

DeskJockey

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by DeskJockey »

mr_jon wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:13 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:44 pm Have had both cars properly cleaned and the paint is in a sad state on both.

Galaxy is worst, with both rear doors beginning to peel just on the trim lines. N/S is peeling the most.

Any thoughts on whether that's a respray or can be repaired?

(Ignore the leggy reflections).

Edit: covers an area about 20x5cm
Fcuked m8, complete panel will need doing as you can't blend lacquer. Need to move away from Ford!
Grand. Oh well, I'll get a quote for getting both doors done.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:15 pm Grand. Oh well, I'll get a quote for getting both doors done.
Or just say "fcuk it" and leave it. I'd go with that on a family wagon.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:21 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:15 pm Grand. Oh well, I'll get a quote for getting both doors done.
That's also being considered. Depends on the cost of having them done.
---
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:21 pm
This, the kids will be whacking the doors into shit for the next 10 years.
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Bought a derv 2006 Previa with 110k miles and full history (Toyota up-to 2017). Currently got family who can't drive, having a 7 seater will be a big help in getting them around to do stuff. Do I win a prize for owning the most boring car ?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Mid-engined, rwd - the Previa is a cool thing.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

2006 will be front engine, front wheel drive won't it?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

16vCento wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:36 am 2006 will be front engine, front wheel drive won't it?
Oh, boo - I didn’t pay attention to the year. We’re they still called Previa when Toyota switched to a more normal layout?
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:00 am
16vCento wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:36 am 2006 will be front engine, front wheel drive won't it?
Oh, boo - I didn’t pay attention to the year. We’re they still called Previa when Toyota switched to a more normal layout?
Yes in the UK, not a clue for other countries.

If it was not for the general excellent condition, I would of been put off by the excessive tyre shine :D
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Wetsand + clearcoat
DeskJockey wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:44 pm Have had both cars properly cleaned and the paint is in a sad state on both.

Galaxy is worst, with both rear doors beginning to peel just on the trim lines. N/S is peeling the most.

nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

NGRhodes wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:23 pm Do I win a prize for owning the most boring car ?

Not a chance, it has sliding doors 8-)
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Power steering. As we all know, the boots are just dust covers, there shouldn’t be any oil inside them. There DEFINITELY shouldn’t be this much oil inside.

D94EEA06-D169-4EBB-8819-F70CC6E98B1C.jpeg
D94EEA06-D169-4EBB-8819-F70CC6E98B1C.jpeg (146.95 KiB) Viewed 1385 times

:shock:

It was also a nasty muddy brown colour, nothing like the two and a half litres of fresh fluid I've put into it recently. So I'm guessing this has been brewing for a long time. Ho-hum. Cheap Porsches...
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Nathan wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:07 pm Wetsand + clearcoat

You don’t want to sand it because it will damage the colour of the base coat, which is why peeling lacquer is always a repaint job. Impossible to feather the edge of the lacquer without sanding into the base colour.

If it was my car I’d probably just pick off the loose edges of the peeling lacquer and aerosol some on over the area. It won’t be perfect or invisible but should be less noticeable and seek the edge to stop more peeling.

For it to start along a trim edge like that it’s probably been painted and masked along the trim at some point in its life.
Cheers, Harry
Nic

Post by Nic »

What Harry said, only way to sort lacquer peel is to repaint the panel. It escalates quickly once you start picking the loose lacquer.

DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Point taken. Just annoying to look at. But, it is a nothing special family bus.
---
mik

Post by mik »

Couple of pics from spooky derelict WW2 hospital location. Managed to get a couple of snaps before the zombies arrived en masse.

Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

Sits so nicely. Best buy ever -ve depreciation 8-)
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Fit a new NSR door latch to the V60 today, stopped unlocking properly, common issue sadly.

Also found that it has 3 kerbed wheels that it didn't have before 🙄

One of them is a right mess, a spoke has been hit and most of the rim, high kerb apparently.
I think I'll buy some 16's for it so she can at least only damage the sidewall from now on.

Took the XF out for the first time in about 3 weeks, I forget just how nice it is to drive, and just to be in, it does feel special.

Xantia fired up first go after sitting for far too long, out of MOT now as well, I took it for a once round the block and it seems fine, just need to decide what to do with it, we're moving to a bigger house in the near future and I think the money I have earmarked for a respray and fettling may get used up, as house prices have gone crazy, but we shall see.
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Lacquer peel can be tamed, carefully score and snap loose edges off (with a very sharp blade, apply pressure with finger nail on the score line to prevent further peel), brush a small amount of lacquer under and remaining edges that have peel.

If you have the patience, you can do a good rattle can repair and get a reasonable blend on small area (big areas will be hard to get a good even finish, I did an initial rub down with p400 to flatten edges off, mask off and spray, after first coat I found p800 worked best, 2nd coat was a wider area, and another p800 for the final very thin coat of a wider area again, using p1200/p1600 very gently on the final coat to blend the edges in. Allow generous time (or a good hot sunny day) between coats, you will need a good light cutting compound (Autoglym super resin polish is too mild for example) to get a decent finish, it wont be perfect and will look different, but will not be obvious from a few meters away at a glance.

Always do some practise sprays somewhere non critical (I use the inside of my shed door), to ensure the rattle can works (does not splatter) and you can get used to the can pressure.

First picture is P400 taking edges off.
Second is the area I prepared with p800.
Last picture is before a polish.

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Thats a great result with the lacquer repair, may have to touch up some bits on the Defender when I have time.

Managed to put a full tank through the quad today, did 18 miles on 14 litres before it cut out as it was completely out of fuel, fortunately stopped on a field nearby though. Impressively poor economy :lol:
I can say that thumb throttles absolutely suck donkey cock though, after an hour my thumb is pretty sore, I guess it's just a muscle that I never really use so it's pretty useless. Going to see if I can change it to a twist throttle...
How about not having a sig at all?