Holidaying in the UK v abroad

Mito Man

Re: Holidaying in the UK v abroad

Post by Mito Man »

I’ve had more problems with drunk/retarded adults than kids. But then again I avoid flying during school holidays so a plane half filled with kids must be pretty bad.
How about not having a sig at all?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

The level of retardation to deal with from the average person originating from this part of the world makes dealing with a screaming baby seem like a casual stroll in the park.

For example, one such village mumbloid actually asked my ex-colleague to open the window on the plane as she was sat next to it. Seriously - they shouldn't be allowed to board.
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:54 am I’ve had more problems with drunk/retarded adults than kids.
This is odd. I agree with Mito Man. I don't like it. :(

I honestly don't mind kids on flights - they rarely bother you in Business anyway TBH.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:56 am The level of retardation to deal with from the average person originating from this part of the world makes dealing with a screaming baby seem like a casual stroll in the park.

For example, one such village mumbloid actually asked my ex-colleague to open the window on the plane as she was sat next to it. Seriously - they shouldn't be allowed to board.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/3 ... smelly-poo
GG.

Post by GG. »

Makes you not want to ever fly on planes again, that article :lol:
Simon

Post by Simon »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:34 am
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:15 am Bang cat in cattery and get on with it.
Nah - they're happier at home where they can go in and out as they like. It's mainly my issue tbh, get massive anxiety sometimes.
Maya came from the RSPCA as a rescue. When we went away at the end of last year she went into the local (very good as I've used it before) cattery. When we picked her up she was obviously stressed at being away from home AND from us (maybe she felt it was like going back into the RSPCA?). This time around the cattery has closed down, so we elected to get a local cat feeder woman to pop in twice a day, show her some love and feed her. Yes, she wasn't happy because we weren't at home but we mitigated that as best as possible by not taking her out of her home herself. She was still thrilled to see us though and got lots of cuddles/love/playing until midnight. I don't see us putting her into a cattery again TBH.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

No summer holiday for us this year :( I have the last couple of weeks booked in August but it's more likely I'll be on a DIY project.

Do have a week booked for October half term holidays, in Cornwall, as usual.

Cheers,
Jon
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Simon wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:52 pm
Maya came from the RSPCA as a rescue. When we went away at the end of last year she went into the local (very good as I've used it before) cattery. When we picked her up she was obviously stressed at being away from home AND from us (maybe she felt it was like going back into the RSPCA?).
That's my issue, our two came from a rescue and they were very nervous for the first few months. I don't want to put them back into a similar environment.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Ours was a rescue as well. He still gets put in the cattery. Yours will likely be absolutely fine.

It does help that the one we use is superb and cats only. There have been ones in the past that we wouldn't use again that the cats were clearly unhappy at. There used to be an accreditation board which is how we found it but I think it folded years ago.
ste

Post by ste »

I'm pretty sure the place my wife sends our cats costs as much per day as wherever we stay for holiday. For me it's worth it as she then isn't worried.

We're off to mainland Greece (Peloponnese) for a couple of weeks as our summer holiday. We rarely stay in one place for any holiday any more, this time we're staying in 3 different places which in the past has worked pretty well. Having done varied things over the last few years and being daft busy at work, I'm looking forward to a proper beach / pool type holiday. As are the kids actually. I'm already conscious that as the eldest is now 12 we probably haven't got that many proper family summer holidays left before he want to bring mates or wants to do their own things.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:49 am Three types of kids on flights:

1. Well-behaved happy kids - no problem.
2. Bratty and / or crying kids being disciplined or consoled by attentive parents - no problem.
3. Bratty and / or crying kids not being disciplined or consoled by CGAF parents - big fucking problem.

I don't mind kids. It's normally the parents who need a kick in the cunt.
Fair play to you for point 2. Babies crying hysterically just goes straight through my skull.

TBH even bratty kids have rarely bothered me, apart from the odd kick in the seat which a quick glance to the kids and/or parents usually sees resolved. It's mainly just the babies that I find unbearable. Yes I understand that they suffer discomfort and there's not much the parents can do usually, doesn't make it any less unpleasant.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Simon wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:52 pm
JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:34 am
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:15 am Bang cat in cattery and get on with it.
Nah - they're happier at home where they can go in and out as they like. It's mainly my issue tbh, get massive anxiety sometimes.
Maya came from the RSPCA as a rescue. When we went away at the end of last year she went into the local (very good as I've used it before) cattery. When we picked her up she was obviously stressed at being away from home AND from us (maybe she felt it was like going back into the RSPCA?). This time around the cattery has closed down, so we elected to get a local cat feeder woman to pop in twice a day, show her some love and feed her. Yes, she wasn't happy because we weren't at home but we mitigated that as best as possible by not taking her out of her home herself. She was still thrilled to see us though and got lots of cuddles/love/playing until midnight. I don't see us putting her into a cattery again TBH.
All of that.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Wife and kids off to Mallorca on 21st July til September. I’ve got three weeks off in August and, hopefully, will commute for the rest of the month.

Looking at booking a weekend away in Epernay for end of September/early October with just the wife and the Ferrari.

Kids on flights is an interesting topic. We frequently have kids, 5yo and above, travelling by themselves (esp from Hong Kong) to their boarding schools. Or, if the parents are there, they are all in 1st but can’t handle their own kids and have to bring the nanny up from economy to sort out any issues. Dunno why they bother having kids. 🤷‍♂️
Cheers,

Ian
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yeah having been to boarding school the Chinese/HK families are ruthless by our standards. I know some guys from there who only saw their family a few weeks a year during the summer - half term or winter they had to be with the guardian. If planned months before with signatures from my parents, theirs and the guardians they could stay round my place for a weekend.
Since finishing uni, getting a job and a citizenship they have pretty much disowned their parents and resent them.

I still speak to some of my old school teachers on rare occasions and they’ve realised it’s causing big psychological problems to the point that they’re opening a branch of the school in Shenzhen to try and limit this and rotate the Asian kids in the U.K. for a term a year back in China!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Interesting. You do feel like wealthy Chinese are taking over the world sometimes, not through any kind of political manoeuvring, but through pure excessive wealth on the quiet. Clearly communism is starting to work! :lol:
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

We put Leo in a cattery for our last long holiday. I thought it was extra pricey at 11 quid a day because it was located in Catford :lol:

When we picked him up he was very pleased to be home but had the major arse with us. He sat at the end of our bed and with his back to us and ignored us for a good half hour before decided that was enough of the cold shoulder treatment, then all was good again
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:43 pmFair play to you for point 2. Babies crying hysterically just goes straight through my skull.
Ah what to do. Babies / kids are problematic at times, as long as the parents give a fuck and try and sort it, there's not much more that can be done. When they're sat there ignoring the demon spawn they crapped out to terrorise the planet after a rash decision some years back involving a job of margaritas and an expired love glove - that's when I lose my normal rational and benevolent outlook on life.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Cats are funny! I've never kenneled our dog and never will but it's all personal choice. The 10 hours on a ferry to northern island he was locked in the car with no food or water and survived! The optional kennels onboard looked horrible and forums suggested they were far worse!

Some kind Irish fella gave me a spray that knocked him out so he probably thought it was a normal night's sleep.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

unzippy wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:59 amWhen we picked him up he was very pleased to be home but had the major arse with us. He sat at the end of our bed and with his back to us and ignored us for a good half hour before decided that was enough of the cold shoulder treatment, then all was good again
Sulking I'd be OK with but it's the fact that when I get home, Phoebe seems genuinely unhappy and takes a day or two of near-constant attention to get her groove back. I know this isn't world-ending but I'm a guilty person and it haunts me the whole trip.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

We holidayed in Holland last year & it was both cheap & brilliant. Probably took us no longer to get there than Cornwall, as we weren't stuck on the A303 for 5 hours.

We try to stick to My Aunty & Uncle's mantra of only holidaying in the UK when you're too old to travel abroad.
Cheers.

Gwaredd