Road tax and what it means to you

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Road tax and what it means to you

Post by Jobbo »

I pay for tax on the Jimny, Mini and Merc. The total for all three is about £60/month, with the Merc being (just) the cheapest. Good old two tonne diesel 😂
GG.

Post by GG. »

Hey - if any of you want to feel better about car tax - spare of thought for how much it costs to insure a Range Rover on street in central London. Err.. about twice a 911 :shock:

Whoever thought keyless entry was a good idea needs a good retrospective slap round the head and told not to be so fucking stupid.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Surprised several of you pay monthly given it costs more.

Just paod mine for 12mo - £340 this year. Not sure what the Superb is other than A Lot cheaper
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:05 pm All 3 of mine combined in monthly terms cost less than a single train return ticket so I'm not too fussed.
Return to where? "Here."
It sums it up well I think; do I get enough from the car for the tax to be worth it?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:16 pm Surprised several of you pay monthly given it costs more.

Just paod mine for 12mo - £340 this year. Not sure what the Superb is other than A Lot cheaper
That's a good point. Never even looked at it being 30 quid more a year as my view on that car is based on a 300 quid monthly expenditure leasing. The overall saving not leasing so far I'm up 2200 inc tax and maintenance.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:16 pm Surprised several of you pay monthly given it costs more.

When you pay annually does it end up costing £10 more than what's on the letter? I can't tell if its some hidden card transaction fee or if the government are just giving me an extra little shafting :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

No extra cost no. They even let you pay by cc without charge these days I noticed, unless it's a commercial card
John

Post by John »

We’ve got a boring fleet at the moment so nothing at £500+ although I’ve been there with the c63. Interestingly the motorhome is classed as a private HGV and is only £160 for the year.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I pay monthly for two reasons:
- when changing cars I never have to wait for a refund from the DVLA
- it’s rolling, so you don’t need to remember to renew

The small extra cost is well worth it for the convenience and most mitigated by them failing to charge me for the first month a couple of times 😄
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Yeah, I did monthly on the M3 (£50 a month) - but as the 320d is only £130 total, that gets paid annually.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:00 am

I pay monthly for two reasons:
- when changing cars I never have to wait for a refund from the DVLA
- it’s rolling, so you don’t need to remember to renew

The small extra cost is well worth it for the convenience and most mitigated by them failing to charge me for the first month a couple of times 😄
And you can SORN over winter, if you're not likely to use it. And remember to actually SORN it..
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

You’d be amazed how many non car people will spend tens of thousands on a new car and justify it by saying they’ll save £100 a year on tax.

I’m sure there are plenty of other reasons but that’s usually the first one they come out with :lol:

It’s unlikely to put me off a car I wanted, but if the model fell over a changeover point then one which fell on the cheaper side would have an extra plus point over a more expensive one but wouldn’t be the main deciding factor.
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Ah yes, the clinically insane people who will change a car just to save 1-2 tanks worth of petrol over an entire year. No doubt offset a minimum of 50 times per annum by just the depreciation :lol:

Know a local groundsworker who always buys random used cars, chops and changes them every 6 months. Ask him what's happened with the 1 series? "Part exchanged it for this Kuga as it needed 4 new tyres.
6 months later he's now in a Skoda so I ask what happened to the Kuga... "Check engine light was on so I part ex'd it..." :lol:

He loves his ancient piece of crap Transit though which seems to have a new old gearbox and engine thrown into it each year.
How about not having a sig at all?
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

These people buying new, lower tax cars for environmental reasons are actually far worse than those than like to keep cars for long time and/or run older cars which are generally more polluting out of the exhaust.
Keeping an older more "polluting" (as per the old tax bands) on the road is better for the environment than the impact of manufacture of a new car.
In theory this high tax paid should better contribute to our Governments efforts to help our environment (if it actually does not I is beyond my knowledge).