Mountain Biking general thread

dinny_g

Re: Mountain Biking general thread

Post by dinny_g »

Came off my bike on the road today for the first time in years...

it was in an industrial estate so no traffic. I have no idea how it happened to be honest, one minute plodding along fine then bang, down I went.

Left shoulder took the brunt but big cuts and grazes on left elbow and knee. I don’t think I’ve done any major damage to my shoulder but time will tell.

Bike’s fine thankfully...😂
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Ow - cornering, going up a kerb or what?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Speed bump...

Or more accurately, steering round a speed bump and just catching an edge. Smooth speed bump, slick tyre...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Ouchee! The thought of coming off my road bike gives me the heebee-jeebee's.

I'm loving the new gravel bike. Its great being able to go pretty much anywhere from here - I've taken it cross country to the shops to pick stuff up but also done a couple of longer rides with a mix of road, trails, cycle paths etc.
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

One of my mates competes in Cyclocross, he loves his gravel bike. Although he does agree with me that it’s not quite the right bike for any situation :lol:
An absolute unit
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:54 am One of my mates competes in Cyclocross, he loves his gravel bike. Although he does agree with me that it’s not quite the right bike for any situation :lol:
It reminds me of how I biked when I was a kid - just going anywhere and everywhere. And its an excuse to buy another bike which is always welcome.
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, that's what I bought this cheaper mtb for tbh. I'm a big lad so I appreciate the extra cushion of the bigger tyres and I'm willing to put up with a bit extra weight and drag :lol:

I just didn't feel comfortable leaving my expensive bike lying in the street if I cycled to the shops or whatever.
An absolute unit
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:23 pm Yeah, that's what I bought this cheaper mtb for tbh. I'm a big lad so I appreciate the extra cushion of the bigger tyres and I'm willing to put up with a bit extra weight and drag :lol:

I just didn't feel comfortable leaving my expensive bike lying in the street if I cycled to the shops or whatever.
I saw an old beater of an mtb up for sale as "Retro" or similar. In the comments it was described as a smackhead special. :lol: An apt name. (not you)
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

A very generous friend has lent me his Scott Full Sus bike this week as he is working away and won't need it. So far I rode it home from his house on a path and a road. It is a carbon bike so not sure if it is heavier than my Cube but it felt nice, need to get out on some paths to try out tracks I know.

I did put a "sizeable deposit" (refundable bien sur) on the Orbea so I really hope I like how they ride!

Also - No blooming pedals included! :shock:
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

While it's very hard to compare my Orbea e-bike to my 11yr old Specialized Crosstrail, I have to say that I prefer steel and carbon fibre frames to aluminium now. There's something about the way aluminium sounds and feels which just doesn't work for me. It also seems to be barely lighter than cro-moly steel since you need so much thickness to get the overall frame stiffness.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Well I've been riding for 20+ years and can't really tell the difference between the feel of equivalent CF and Alu bikes (regularly riding my brothers alu Capra, my old CF Capra and a mates alu Propain + ebikes too - alu Kenevo v CF Decoy)

Just get whatever appeals to you
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I think it depends on frame design as well. A full mtb frame with tight geometry and gusseting, Aluminium will be lighter and nicer to ride than steel. A more traditional crossover/townbike the difference will probably be less noticeable.
An absolute unit
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Not many steel full sus bikes about these days anyway. Though one of my crew rides a Pace 627 which is a hardtail steel bike, but I can't ride it anyway because I don't know how to hardtail any more!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:42 am Not many steel full sus bikes about these days anyway.
Absolutely right - I do wonder what a cromoly framed MTB would be like if anyone made one now.

Frame design should suit the material it's made from. I'm not a massive fan of aluminium; CF is just a more appropriate material since you can make a frame stiff and strong without adding lots of wall thickness.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:46 am
Rich B wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:42 am Not many steel full sus bikes about these days anyway.
Absolutely right - I do wonder what a cromoly framed MTB would be like if anyone made one now.

Frame design should suit the material it's made from. I'm not a massive fan of aluminium; CF is just a more appropriate material since you can make a frame stiff and strong without adding lots of wall thickness.
Alu is a great material for bike frames - light, strong, cheap, stiff, repairable, not too brittle, etc....
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

My only mild concern is the Orbea is on 29" wheels and I have only ridden 27 or 26 way back when. As a not very tall bod, I am hoping that won't make a ball squishing difference to crossbar height on a medium.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:51 am

Alu is a great material for bike frames - light, strong, cheap, stiff, repairable, not too brittle, etc....
Aye, it's not a huge consideration but I prefer the looks of Alu frames to cf ones too.
An absolute unit
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Gavin wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:55 am My only mild concern is the Orbea is on 29" wheels and I have only ridden 27 or 26 way back when. As a not very tall bod, I am hoping that won't make a ball squishing difference to crossbar height on a medium.
The Kona I got is the first bike I've had on 29s and side by side with my 26" Santa Cruz the main difference is length rather than height. There's not a lot in it height wise.
An absolute unit
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Castings are brittle. Not sure it's that stiff or repairable either - not like steel.

That Santa Cruz video breaking alu and CF frames was an interesting comparison.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:08 am

Castings are brittle. Not sure it's that stiff or repairable either - not like steel.

That Santa Cruz video breaking alu and CF frames was an interesting comparison.
I did notice that Orbea hydroforms it's aluminium frames which allegedly makes it betterer! :idea: