Your fleet running reports

drcarlos

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by drcarlos »

16vCento wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:21 pm If the transponder In the key has died, it will still lock and crank no problem, just won't send any fuel so it won't start.

Could be allsorts though!

Don't buy any parts until you find out what's wrong!

Hope it gets sorted cheaply 😃
They usually cut 2 of 3 circuits (for thatcham certification), fuel pump, starter and ignition are the 3. I’d say as the fuel pump is being heard to prime and it’s cranking the immobiliser is a red herring. Knowing the crapping wiring on these (my vrs was a nightmare) I’d be looking at the connectors and for a broken wire going into the ignition or injection circuits.

Plug out first and lay it on the block and make sure you have a spark if you do then pull an injector and put it in a jar if you can and crank and make sure it sprays.
Probably check both crank and cam position sensors (if it has cam sensors) and wiring to them, a crank sensor will stop it dead but a cam sensor will usually result in a start and ability to Rev but it will die when you let it idle.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

The oil pressure sensor sounds feasible. You’d expect an error to be logged though.

Are you sure it’s not a coil pack again ??
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:09 am The oil pressure sensor sounds feasible. You’d expect an error to be logged though.

Are you sure it’s not a coil pack again ??
I'm not sure, no, but last time a coil pack went the engine still ran, albeit rough, and could be started. Now it died pretty much straight away and won't start at all.
Left over crest; tightens.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Have you read any codes or viewed live data yet ?
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Nathan wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:48 pm Have you read any codes or viewed live data yet ?
Tried Car Scanner app and a BT dongle. No diagnostic codes came up and didn't see much in the way of live data (doesn't that need the engine to be running?)
Left over crest; tightens.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Anyone recommend a OBD2 scanner which can check the ABS system on BMWs? My really old one can’t find it.
How about not having a sig at all?
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:28 pm Anyone recommend a OBD2 scanner which can check the ABS system on BMWs? My really old one can’t find it.
https://ljmcardiagnostics.co.uk/product ... gI4xfD_BwE
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

That’s way more than I’m willing to spend :lol:
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Pretend it’s a present for your dad ?
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

It's cheap for what it is, will read all modules on most cars as well, reads everything a Jag computer at a main dealer would on my XF, also can force regens, recode injectors, reset epb, and all sorts.

Well worth a couple of hundred quid.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:28 pm Anyone recommend a OBD2 scanner which can check the ABS system on BMWs? My really old one can’t find it.
delphi or beemer one from a China site £25
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

That's more like it :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I see there's many dodgy people selling INPA on eBay for a reasonable amount. That's the creme de la creme isn't it?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I checked earlier and my version doesn’t cover e63, but does have e60 so wonder if the main modules would still be read ok.

But yeah, if you can find version which supports your car then yes, it’s proper factory level stuff, more advanced than the equipment most dealers have access to :lol:
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

This seems to cover everything. Will probably order tomorrow https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LATEST-ULTIM ... QlEALw_wcB
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

So it appears I have a broken offside rear spring on the 928. I noticed the other day that it was sitting lower on one side at the rear. I also tried in vain to clean the ABS sensors to clear the ABS light that comes on when setting off. Bastard things won't come out. Apparently, they weld themselves into the hub as they're aluminium. I've booked it in at Strasse to get that all sorted. Still waiting on the ignition microswitch to sort out the reversing lights and gear indicator lights. Those problems aside, it's seemed to thrive on its role as daily nursery run/shopping trip driver. Starts first time, every time and runs as sweet as anything. I suspect it's going to throw a strop when it's put back into the garage and a weekend car again.

XC40 is turning up a week today which will hopefully allow me to get the other jobs sorted.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Delphi wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:35 am So it appears I have a broken offside rear spring on the 928. I noticed the other day that it was sitting lower on one side at the rear. I also tried in vain to clean the ABS sensors to clear the ABS light that comes on when setting off. Bastard things won't come out. Apparently, they weld themselves into the hub as they're aluminium. I've booked it in at Strasse to get that all sorted. Still waiting on the ignition microswitch to sort out the reversing lights and gear indicator lights. Those problems aside, it's seemed to thrive on its role as daily nursery run/shopping trip driver. Starts first time, every time and runs as sweet as anything. I suspect it's going to throw a strop when it's put back into the garage and a weekend car again.

XC40 is turning up a week today which will hopefully allow me to get the other jobs sorted.
Well, that's just a ball ache.

I had a poke around an XC40 the other day. Seems like a nice bit of kit.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

ABS sensors are always a pain. Destructive brute force is the only way to get them out IME.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:34 pm This seems to cover everything. Will probably order tomorrow https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LATEST-ULTIM ... QlEALw_wcB
How is it you manage to find the most expensive way of buying anything ?
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

JonMad wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:02 pm
Nathan wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:48 pm Have you read any codes or viewed live data yet ?
Tried Car Scanner app and a BT dongle. No diagnostic codes came up and didn't see much in the way of live data (doesn't that need the engine to be running?)
A full suite could show you whats missing when cranking