Your fleet running reports

Beany

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Beany »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:02 pm
Beany wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:58 pm Which was more exciting than it needed to be because he forgot to pump the pedal up before heading out :shock:
I'm fairly sure I have mentioned doing that in the past :lol:
Yeah, he did it on the approach to a rather steep downhill. :D That woke us up :lol:
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Had to do a couple of long runs recently in my 318i; I am really fond of the car, perhaps more than I should.

Mpg has gone up to 29.4 now thanks to the long runs, so it’s finally better than what my Integra had achieved under my 10 years ownership (@ 28.5 mpg)

My original plan for my 318i was treat it purely as white goods, run it for a couple years then see whether it’s worth upgrading. But I have truly been bitten by the E90/1 bug. I can’t stop looking at manual 330i on the classified. There was a silver E91 manual with good history for around £4500. Luckily (unluckily) for me the car was located 250 miles away in Cleveland.

RS4 Avants at £15k+ don’t seem to offer much VFM by comparison.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Took mine for a drive around the M60 last week, to give the battery a bit of juice. It's so long since I've done anything more than a couple of miles in it, that I'd compeltely forgotten just how much I really, really like it. It doesn't have the ease of pace that the Superb has, but once you wind it up it's so much more staisfying.

It's been back to being an ornament in the road since :(
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:47 pm Took mine for a drive around the M60 last week, to give the battery a bit of juice. It's so long since I've done anything more than a couple of miles in it, that I'd compeltely forgotten just how much I really, really like it. It doesn't have the ease of pace that the Superb has, but once you wind it up it's so much more staisfying.

The manual box on mine is nothing to write home about, and the drive by wire throttle isn’t good for H&T that I have given up trying (a quick stamp on the throttle doesn’t do anything most of the time). But it’s still a fun car to drive; don’t know if I’d want to give it up for an automatic just yet. :D
Beany

Post by Beany »

Might be worth looking to see if there's any adaption reset for the throttle?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I never found the throttle on the e46 anything other than ok, certainly not a patch on the older cable throttle cars. I think they use relatively heavy flywheels on the 4pots as well to help smooth them out which isn’t going to help.

Bit of a shame if the response isn’t there as the basic driving position and control weights are something bmw seem to be able to get just right.
Cheers, Harry
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I am genuinely very very happy that you have ‘clicked’ with what BMWs are about 8-)

You just need to get a straight six. A straight six has naturally perfect first & second order balance. Nothing else quite like it (except a V12, which is basically two straight sixes of course).
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Did 669.1 miles on a tank in the Merc, filled up this morning and still had 7.5l of fuel remaining. FFS, I could have easily got past 700 miles.

Took the Jimny on it's new Yoko Geolander A/T tyres green laning yesterday. With the pessimistic weather forecast, the Shropshire Hills were fairly tourist-free but the weather was lovely; bit windy and cold if you got out of the car mind you!

On top of Adstone Hill with the Long Mynd visible behind:

Some really fun lanes, some deep ruts and axle twisters so probably the most like the off-road day I did in a quarry in the Forest of Dean for my stag do.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Coaster1 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:43 am
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:47 pm Took mine for a drive around the M60 last week, to give the battery a bit of juice. It's so long since I've done anything more than a couple of miles in it, that I'd compeltely forgotten just how much I really, really like it. It doesn't have the ease of pace that the Superb has, but once you wind it up it's so much more staisfying.

The manual box on mine is nothing to write home about, and the drive by wire throttle isn’t good for H&T that I have given up trying (a quick stamp on the throttle doesn’t do anything most of the time). But it’s still a fun car to drive; don’t know if I’d want to give it up for an automatic just yet. :D
:D

If you're ever in the area you're more than welcome to come and try mine Kin. The auto isn't for everyone, but actually I think it suits the nature of the car reasonably well.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Had a marginally successful weekend working on the 928. The horn is fixed (new horn ring and a broken wire). I replaced the air box and while I was in there noticed a small leak in the rubber that connects the MAF to the intake a bit of repositioning managed to effect a temporary fix until a new part arrives. Idle is now absolutely rock steady. I couldn't fit the new fan controller as it came from America and has little imperial-sized allen key bolts that none of my metric allen keys would quite fit. :evil: Had to order a set but they only arrived yesterday afternoon.

I started to look at the HVAC vacuum leaks, but after a while I realised I was going to have to pull the centre console out and given it's currently the only car we have, I didn't think it was wise to get that far into it. I'll tackle those once the XC-40 arrives and I'm able to leave the 928 in bits for a while.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

New fronts fitted to the Galaxy's summer wheels. When he went to fit the rears he find a deep gash in one of them, nearly at the sidewall, so that needs replacing. Both rears were replaced last year, so it is at best a 2k miles tyre that's being thrown away, at worst it is less than half that. Rather annoyed.

New one ordered and fitting booked.

Guy at Blackcircles told me that if they'd supplied the damaged tyre and it was only a few months old they'd replace it free of charge. Sadly they didn't supply it, but good service!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I’ve added a CD changer to the Cayenne. It’s like it’s the nineties again 8-)
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I wouldn't know where to even find any CDs to put in a changer!

New rear boots for the 320 went on today (mobile fitter, very easy) - then MOT this afternoon 🤞🏻🤞🏻.

"We" have agreed that I take care of both the cars from now on...
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:14 am
"We" have agreed that I take care of both the cars from now on...
This is the best way.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:31 am :D

If you're ever in the area you're more than welcome to come and try mine Kin. The auto isn't for everyone, but actually I think it suits the nature of the car reasonably well.
I’ll do that thanks! :D
Beany wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:14 am Might be worth looking to see if there's any adaption reset for the throttle?
It doesn’t bother me enough to do anything about it. It’s only a 127bhp shopping car. :D
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:24 am On top of Adstone Hill with the Long Mynd visible behind:
Like! :)
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Collection day tommorow!

450 mile round trip! Most miles I'll have done for ages!

Home to Gloucester and back again, wish the hotels were open, but I don't mind the drive tbh.

Garage cleared out after 7 trips to the tip at the weekend so I'll have somewhere to plonk it when I get home.

Already bought a new front bumper (in the wrong colour 🙄) as I found one on ebay in a misspelt listing, 75 quid, result!

Once I've got the colour code I'll pop it over to my friends for spraying.
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Boot strut bolt just needed tightening, I was lucky as if they are left too long they have a habit of ripping the captive nuts off. I also nipped the others up and spray greased the balls.

Also ordered a new pair of struts for £13 from eBay.

Managed to get some more cleaning stuff (Demon Shine gift pack for £20 from B&M - 5x1l of useful stuff) and finish off cleaning the interior and windows a good clean, gave outside a quick wash - first time both inside and outside have been clean at the same time since I bought the car !
Gave all the door seals a wipe with tyre shine for a bit of protection too.

Tomorrow got a family trip out so will be nice to get 100 or so miles added.

Image|https://thumbsnap.com/4VHUXmMn
Image|https://thumbsnap.com/dF5yoKwM
Image|https://thumbsnap.com/ZyvCA94d
Beany

Post by Beany »

Sigh, checked delivery expectations for stuff from Autodoc to the UK and seems seven business business days is not uncommon and pretty realistic. More realistic than the four to five days quoted in the site...

No free MOT retest for me then. Should have paid the extra £30 from ECP, works still have saved £20 in the long run.

Ho hum.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Beany wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:24 pm Sigh, checked delivery expectations for stuff from Autodoc to the UK and seems seven business business days is not uncommon and pretty realistic. More realistic than the four to five days quoted in the site...

No free MOT retest for me then. Should have paid the extra £30 from ECP, works still have saved £20 in the long run.

Ho hum.
I've had two deliveries from them and think the 7 days is fairly accurate.