Your fleet running reports

Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Delphi »

The 928 has started having an issue where the fans run on for ages after the car's been switched off. Apparently, it's a common 928 issue. After checking the intake temperature switch on the intake plenum and the transmission temp switch that's wired in parallel to it, it looks like the fan control amplifier is on its way out. Unfortunately, these are no longer available new and second hand ones are going for £400. 928 Motorsports in the US do a plug in replacement that has a higher current rating and is more reliable for £230 + VAT, so that's been ordered and is on its way. Ordered some LED bulbs for the under bonnet light and the interior lights. I've bought a secondhand airbox from a later S4 that has all the straps on it as 3 of mine have perished and snapped and replacements are £45 EACH. Hopefully everything should arrive before the Bank Holiday weekend and I can get a few more jobs ticked off the list. I think I've found the problem for the internal hatch release not working as well.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Mps4s I was told aren't that great when track driving in the dry. Seems that was true as they melt pretty quickly. Great grip but not a choice for consistent hard driving.

My brakes are also not up to the job.

But then it's not a track car so after abusing it all day drove home burning my head in the sunshine.

My friend has a 500bhp golf r. Different world fast compared to many cars.
Foz

Post by Foz »

PS4S would be a great track wet I reckon!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Foz wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:14 am PS4S would be a great track wet I reckon!
You're right mate. You can feel the tread / side wall moving on my car when it's 22c. It was boiling.

Not pushing it they are bang on.
Beany

Post by Beany »

MOT booked for tomorrow, expecting a fail on the rear wheel bearing.

Oh well, we shall see!
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Insurance and travel arranged for picking up the Xantia next Thursday.

Just need for it to not snow too badly now!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

16vCento wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:16 pm Insurance and travel arranged for picking up the Xantia next Thursday.

Just need for it to not snow too badly now!
8-) I must admit to a tinge of the green envy!
Foz

Post by Foz »

Porsche finished!
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Foz wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:44 pmPorsche finished!
That didn’t take long! CC next? ;)
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Got a decent run in the M140i today. Dartford and back for a meeting. Traffic was brilliant! A nice easy drive and decent on unleaded.

Beany

Post by Beany »

If you're looking for a cheap two ton jack and a cheap 210nm capable torque wrench - £20/each at Lidl. Good timing given my bro has my jack (but can't find it) and I've never had my own torque wrench.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I bought the torque wrench yesterday. Good timing too as I smashed my old Lidl one last month when using a hammer on it.
How about not having a sig at all?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

McSwede wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:04 pm Got a decent run in the M140i today. Dartford and back for a meeting. Traffic was brilliant! A nice easy drive and decent on unleaded.

Ever heard of video conferencing? :D

Don't know how you can do that many miles in a day. Worst I've done was 320ish miles for a three hour meeting and by the time I got back I was utterly shattered. After that I decided that was too far. Either overnight it or take the train if the total distance exceeds 250 miles in a day.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Foz wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:44 pmPorsche finished!
Will anyone pay 35k for it?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:10 pm
McSwede wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:04 pm Got a decent run in the M140i today. Dartford and back for a meeting. Traffic was brilliant! A nice easy drive and decent on unleaded.

Don't know how you can do that many miles in a day. Worst I've done was 320ish miles for a three hour meeting and by the time I got back I was utterly shattered. After that I decided that was too far. Either overnight it or take the train if the total distance exceeds 250 miles in a day.
I remember driving to Pembroke Dock from Manchester a couple of times for 10am meetings. Usually took in a site visit as well to make it worthwhile. Then back via mid-wales up to Wrexham. Those journeys were fairly horrendous!
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:53 pm I bought the torque wrench yesterday. Good timing too as I smashed my old Lidl one last month when using a hammer on it.
*grinds teeth*

;)

Be nice to have a jack again and be able to do things like....get rid of that fucking clutch delay circuit. And, er, an oil change.

Although RWD means I need to get some chocks too, although I'm sure I can find some bricks kicking about :lol:

MOT first though.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Video meetings have made me happy to do this 😂

In fairness, it's what I'm used to and I enjoy it especially when there's bugger all traffic like today.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:16 pm

I remember driving to Pembroke Dock from Manchester a couple of times for 10am meetings. Usually took in a site visit as well to make it worthwhile. Then back via mid-wales up to Wrexham. Those journeys were fairly horrendous!

Manchester to Pembroke Dock must be 5hrs at best :shock:

I used to do a similar run and back in one day a few times a year. I used to love it but needed a bottle of wine to wind down at the end of it.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I do Cambridge and back quite a lot with work which is 416 miles there and back.

Get a podcast on and it flies by.

Certainly goes quicker than getting back from DFW via Atlanta then Manchester and then having to drive home at 6 in the morning, thats the only journey i dislike, its a 24 hour day almost and I can't go mad with the beer as I've got to drive 🙄

Journey on the way out is great though 😂
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Carlos wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:31 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:16 pm

Manchester to Pembroke Dock must be 5hrs at best :shock:

I used to do a similar run and back in one day a few times a year. I used to love it but needed a bottle of wine to wind down at the end of it.
Yep - 5hrs. And I can confirm it's 5 hours regardless of whether you go M6>M5>M4, M6>M50>A40, or M56>A483!